The Student Room Group

My New GYG- Actuary Wannabe

Well it's been a while since I'd posted on my previous GYG and as 'End Of Year' exams are drawing closer, I think it's best for me to motivate myself with another one.

The reason for making this is because I have changed my career plan from Medicine to Actuarial Science! It took me a while to make this decision but I think it's for the best.

I'm currently in year 12, studying Maths, Biology and Chemistry (all AQA). These aren't the best subjects for applying to Actuarial Science courses as i'd selected these back when I wanted to do medicine. So i'm planning to finish all of A2 Maths in the summer holidays before attempting to learn Further Maths, as the subject is needed or preferred for when i'm applying to the top universities.

This GYG is to simply motivate myself to study as I am a horrible procrastinator. Though the possibility of achieving 3A*s and an A is unlikely, it's not going to stop me from dreaming!
If anyone has advice for applying to similar courses e.g extra exams to take, extra reading info etc. Please share below.
Much appreciated!
Original post by Guava Juice
Well it's been a while since I'd posted on my previous GYG and as 'End Of Year' exams are drawing closer, I think it's best for me to motivate myself with another one.

The reason for making this is because I have changed my career plan from Medicine to Actuarial Science! It took me a while to make this decision but I think it's for the best.

I'm currently in year 12, studying Maths, Biology and Chemistry (all AQA). These aren't the best subjects for applying to Actuarial Science courses as i'd selected these back when I wanted to do medicine. So i'm planning to finish all of A2 Maths in the summer holidays before attempting to learn Further Maths, as the subject is needed or preferred for when i'm applying to the top universities.

This GYG is to simply motivate myself to study as I am a horrible procrastinator. Though the possibility of achieving 3A*s and an A is unlikely, it's not going to stop me from dreaming!

I'm the same as you! I want to do Biomedical Sciences but I'm a horrible procrastinator too. Ugh. What grades do you think you will get or what grades do u need for uni?
Original post by TerribleGrades
I'm the same as you! I want to do Biomedical Sciences but I'm a horrible procrastinator too. Ugh. What grades do you think you will get or what grades do u need for uni?

To stand a good chance at reputed Unis like Warwick and LSE, i'd probably need predictions of 3A*'s. I've looked around many TSR threads to get this info from previously successful applicants. So that's what i'm aiming for.

However, i'm certainly no genius, but I like a challenge.

As for the procrastination, we can support each other through it :smile:

23rd May 2018

With final exams beginning 18th June, i've barely started revision.

TOTAL CONTENT: Maths- 11 chapters, Chemistry- 16 chapters, Biology- 11 chapters

There isn't school tomorrow as Year 12 are given a study day.
GOALS for tomorrow- Finish Maths chapters 1-3
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Guava Juice
To stand a good chance at reputed Unis like Warwick and LSE, i'd probably need predictions of 3A*'s. I've looked around many TSR threads to get this info from previously successful applicants. So that's what i'm aiming for.

However, i'm certainly no genius, but I like a challenge.

As for the procrastination, we can support each other through it :smile:

And so far, do you feel confident in getting those grades from months of long, hard revision? For me, I honestly don't know what to feel. I did my best at AS and only got average grades. This might be because there was a few reformed courses, the fact that AS was just a step-up from GCSE or I'm just not as smart as I thought I was. We'll see. :colondollar:
Original post by TerribleGrades
And so far, do you feel confident in getting those grades from months of long, hard revision? For me, I honestly don't know what to feel. I did my best at AS and only got average grades. This might be because there was a few reformed courses, the fact that AS was just a step-up from GCSE or I'm just not as smart as I thought I was. We'll see. :colondollar:

I've never revised hard for any exam, but i'm turning over a new leaf from this week, as i've just had the randomest bursts of motivation to do well, hence why i'm aiming so high.

I feel the same as you about AS from GCSE, but if you believe in yourself, who can stop you from doing anything? Regardless of how you've previously performed.

I try not to look back at my failures but instead aim to ensure they don't happen again.

Quick Reply

Latest