The Student Room Group

SFE won't pay tuition fees

I'm going to be starting a course in first year in Sept 2018 but have studied 2 years previous on another course but realised I wasn't in the best mental health as the course wasn't right for me. Student finance have replied saying I only have 2 years funding and wont be funded for my first year of the new course. I don't have £9000 that I can earn over summer and neither can my parents pay for it. Is there any way of using the 2 years for the first and second year so I have time to save up for the final year's tuition fee?
Original post by charliparli98
I'm going to be starting a course in first year in Sept 2018 but have studied 2 years previous on another course but realised I wasn't in the best mental health as the course wasn't right for me. Student finance have replied saying I only have 2 years funding and wont be funded for my first year of the new course. I don't have £9000 that I can earn over summer and neither can my parents pay for it. Is there any way of using the 2 years for the first and second year so I have time to save up for the final year's tuition fee?

No, you will need to pay for the first year yourself. But it sounds like you left your degree for heath reasons, so you may be able to apply for an extra year of student loans via the Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR) rule. https://www.ncl.ac.uk/students/wellbeing/finance/funding/ukstudents/studentfinance/changeofcircumstance/cpr.htm
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by charliparli98

SFE always have unfunded years first. You can’t change that.

Do you have any proof (doctors records?) that you left your first course due to mental health problems? If you can prove that then SFE will give you an additional year of funding for Compelling Personal Reasons (cpr).

Another thing to explore if that isn’t possible is to talk to your university to see whether they can offer any fee waivers, bursaries or payment plans to someone in your situation and to consider deferring your place for a year to save up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending