The Student Room Group

Body hair on Women. Yay or Nay?

I met up with a girl today nice as she is but straight away I noticed she had armpit hair, above her chest and lightly on her chin like a man. I was grossed out by it, every time she lifted her arms I had to look away.

For me I find this very unattractive, its more of a masculine quality for me so it felt very uncomfortable. I can't be attracted to a girl that looks like a man.

Guys do you not like to would you be put off like me? and girls would or have you done this and why?
Reply 1
I personally don't give two f****. I mean, it's a woman's body, her choice. Doesn't make someone any less/more attractive in my opinion.
Interesting post.

Have you dated girls/guys with armpit hair before?

I only joined TSR in the last hour...

Some posts are very thought-provoking :smile:
Tbh, it LOOKS unappealing and all that but it's just her being lazy...like a lot of us guys (including me) don't shave for a good 2-3 months until absolutely nc=ecessary. It'll all look better when she shaves them off so it's just a momentary repulsion. Focus on her better and more important qualities instead....for the time being.
Reply 4
I have more body hair than most guys, and I'm a woman! However, I do keep it shortly trimmed in most areas, particularly my underpits and legs, especially if I'm going swimming. I also keep my facial peach fuss shaved using an electric razor. I don't find myself looking any less feminine or any more masculine because of this. I also have a few male friends who often shave their body's completely, and they don't look any less masculine. I believe its more of a personal choice and if you don't like someone with/without hair, then deal with it or don't look at them. It is never a good idea to tell someone though in most cases since you'll only make them self-conscious and probably hate you. If you're looking for a friend, hair shouldn't bother you since your not going to marry them or anything. Focus on their attitude and other aspects of the person instead. If you are looking for a girlfriend/boyfriend, go fishing until you find someone that meets your expectations (if you find them!)
Reply 5
Definite no
Gross.
Original post by JDieMstr
Tbh, it LOOKS unappealing and all that but it's just her being lazy...like a lot of us guys (including me) don't shave for a good 2-3 months until absolutely nc=ecessary. It'll all look better when she shaves them off so it's just a momentary repulsion. Focus on her better and more important qualities instead....for the time being.

I find it very rude that you would presume its her being lazy some women dont shave because they dont want to shave and dont agree with societies standard that they should have to shave (I personally shave myself for my own reasons because I prefer how it looks and i feel more hygienic however never have I ever just shaved for a man). Personally I think if a girl has gone on a date with you and is wearing a top that shows her unshaved underarms I think its her way of warning you and expressing who she is to you and has no intention of removing it for your sake , If you dont like it go date another girl you cant expect someone to change to fit you
Original post by halliethestudent
I find it very rude that you would presume its her being lazy some women dont shave because they dont want to shave and dont agree with societies standard that they should have to shave (I personally shave myself for my own reasons because I prefer how it looks and i feel more hygienic however never have I ever just shaved for a man). Personally I think if a girl has gone on a date with you and is wearing a top that shows her unshaved underarms I think its her way of warning you and expressing who she is to you and has no intention of removing it for your sake , If you dont like it go date another girl you cant expect someone to change to fit you

I apologise for appearing rude but armpit hair and facial hair on a girl is something I cannot compromise. I really don't mind if she doesn't shave other areas of her body but I have my standards, like all other people.
Original post by P0y
I have more body hair than most guys, and I'm a woman! However, I do keep it shortly trimmed in most areas, particularly my underpits and legs, especially if I'm going swimming. I also keep my facial peach fuss shaved using an electric razor. I don't find myself looking any less feminine or any more masculine because of this. I also have a few male friends who often shave their body's completely, and they don't look any less masculine. I believe its more of a personal choice and if you don't like someone with/without hair, then deal with it or don't look at them. It is never a good idea to tell someone though in most cases since you'll only make them self-conscious and probably hate you. If you're looking for a friend, hair shouldn't bother you since your not going to marry them or anything. Focus on their attitude and other aspects of the person instead. If you are looking for a girlfriend/boyfriend, go fishing until you find someone that meets your expectations (if you find them!)

Men tend to suit being hairy much more compared to women. I'm a straight man but I can tell when it looks good on a man, yes some men do look good with no hair but not as bad as women with body hair.

Yes you should tell them not in a insulting way but give her a honest reason why I don't like it. If its something they can't help like figure, height etc of course not but something that is a personal choice I don't see the problem. She told me that she a hairy downstairs when she asked me if I wanted to sh*g her but I declined, the thought of me sticking it when its like that is enough to put me off. Its up her what she does but sorry no man is going find that attractive.
Don't live by old fashioned ideology.
I prefer whatever the person is most comfortable with, but I err on the side of hairiness. It's just natural.
Sometimes I shave my armpits and sometimes I don't. I'm sure some guys/girls have seen me with armpit hair and immediately thought that I never shave my armpits at all but obviously it just depends.

Maybe next time you see her she would have shaved it. Maybe she's like me and sometimes does and sometimes doesn't.

But either way it doesn't really matter. You should be able to get past that. If you can't, I think you should avoid going on dates because I can guarantee you that there are lot more women out there who have got hairy armpits. Women you speak to on a regular basis will have hairy armpits even if you can't see them because they're wearing sleeves.

There are lots of hairy armpits everywhere so you might as well date guys :smile:
Nah sorry but if you’re a girl and you don’t shave I’m not gonna be attracted to you.
I like it but I'm a pretty gross guy.
In my experience, any man worth dating would care about other things far more than the body hair of a woman.
I can understand a someone having a preference, but surely you should care about other things far more than arm pit hair. It sounds like you're more insecure about who you are attracted to than you should be.

Most girls I know are somewhat lax about shaving their armpits and bikini area and only do it when they want to, which is how it should be.
I don't blame you for feeling put off by the hair. It's called preference, and that's nothing you can control. I am a girl and I shave during the summer when my legs are on show and I'm wearing tops that'll reveal my underarms, but otherwise only when I feel like it. I'm a swimmer, and so my legs are on show a lot of the time. This doesn't make me feel like I wanna shave 'em though. I'm comfortable in my skin and with my own femininity. I am unfortunate enough to have PCOS, polycystic ovary syndrome, and excessive hair is one of the symptoms. I don't suffer from this particular symptom personally, but I think it's worth noting. Don't be too quick to judge. Some women shave 'cause it's hygienic. Some women shave 'cause it makes them feel comfortable. Some women shave to meet society's standards. Please don't ever make a woman feel she has to shave to live up to the expectations that have been laid down long before she was born. These standards are not set in stone, and it is acceptance that'll get rid of them.
Reply 17
Nay

Quick Reply

Latest