The Student Room Group

Oxbridge preparation

our school is giving us the opportunity to do an oxbridge praparation day run by some external company (i think its called oxbridge preparations??) but it'll cost £100. Should i do it? I am definitley going to apply to oxbridge, so can anyone who's done one of these days tell me if it's woth it?
No, it's probably just a scam. Reading around your subject area and trying to apply your subject knowledge to unfamiliar problems of interest is free, as is just revising and consolidating your core knowledge of your subject area to date, if applicable.
Do not do it.
They can't teach you how to think the way the interviewers and colleges want you to.
Spend £100 doing something else, like treating yourself to a good book.
Reply 3
Original post by Itssnowing
our school is giving us the opportunity to do an oxbridge praparation day run by some external company (i think its called oxbridge preparations??) but it'll cost £100. Should i do it? I am definitley going to apply to oxbridge, so can anyone who's done one of these days tell me if it's woth it?

It's not worth paying for it - no.

For example, there's much more Oxbridge support available freely on TSR :wink: And that includes active participation from current Oxbridge college admissions staff.
Original post by Itssnowing

Things I would consider:

- please don't assume that Oxbridge must be the the best fit for you.
A visit on a (free) Open Day will obviously give you a taste of the reality.

- most people who get into Oxbridge haven't gone to one of these preparation days, which suggests that any advantage you might get is likely to be marginal

- great GCSE, A Level and admissions test results are much more important than "tips" from external agencies

- all the same, any support is better than none. So how much other support will you get for your Oxbridge application?

- for example, there is a huge amount of free advice available online nowadays, including youtube videos of model interviews. Oxford has even uploaded sample interview questions, with tips about how to answer them. Would a "preparation day" help you to access this, or are you organised/supported enough to do so without?

- personalised, face-to-face advice might well be helpful. For example, discussing the specifics of how you've written your PS, and getting feedback on how you are approaching admissions papers and interview questions. A "preparation day" is unlikely to provide detailed and individualised advice, but might be useful for increasing your confidence.
Reply 5
Original post by artful_lounger
No, it's probably just a scam. Reading around your subject area and trying to apply your subject knowledge to unfamiliar problems of interest is free, as is just revising and consolidating your core knowledge of your subject area to date, if applicable.

Thank you for your reply, it did sound like a bit too much money for what it is
Reply 6
Original post by OxFossil
Things I would consider:

- please don't assume that Oxbridge must be the the best fit for you.
A visit on a (free) Open Day will obviously give you a taste of the reality.

- most people who get into Oxbridge haven't gone to one of these preparation days, which suggests that any advantage you might get is likely to be marginal

- great GCSE, A Level and admissions test results are much more important than "tips" from external agencies

- all the same, any support is better than none. So how much other support will you get for your Oxbridge application?

- for example, there is a huge amount of free advice available online nowadays, including youtube videos of model interviews. Oxford has even uploaded sample interview questions, with tips about how to answer them. Would a "preparation day" help you to access this, or are you organised/supported enough to do so without?

- personalised, face-to-face advice might well be helpful. For example, discussing the specifics of how you've written your PS, and getting feedback on how you are approaching admissions papers and interview questions. A "preparation day" is unlikely to provide detailed and individualised advice, but might be useful for increasing your confidence.

Thanks for replying & your advice, I think I'll do a little more research :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by oseangarciaax
Do not do it.
They can't teach you how to think the way the interviewers and colleges want you to.
Spend £100 doing something else, like treating yourself to a good book.

Haha yep will do :smile: thanks x
Reply 8
Original post by Doonesbury
It's not worth paying for it - no.

For example, there's much more Oxbridge support available freely on TSR :wink: And that includes active participation from current Oxbridge college admissions staff.

Ill check out the stuff on tsr thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending