The Student Room Group

opinions on Grammar Schools

hi guys, I just wanted to know what other people think about grammar schools because some of my friends go to one and have told me what non-grammar school people think of them
what ur opinion?
I don't think there's much benefit going to them instead of normal public schools. At least from where I live, there are a handful of schools that do as good or even better than grammar schools. Plus, ngl we had about a dozen students come in for a tour of my school; that went to a local grammar school and they looked like absolute nerds and geeks as if their mum still dressed them.
i think unless your school is actually diabolical you can do well anywhere, at the end of the day quality of revision is probably more significant than actual learning in lessons.

I attended a state school and did perfectly well in my GCSEs 4A*, 5A, 2B and am currently studying Biology, Physics, Chemistry and History at A Level, I don't feel I have lost out on benefit from attending a state school.

You do hear that grammar schools tend not to focus on mental health and the pressure to do well can be extremely stressful, the validity of which I am unsure. However you will probably have access to more opportunities that will help you go to a better university at a grammar school, it does feel rather DIY for me currently.
Original post by Cxm
that went to a local grammar school and they looked like absolute nerds and geeks as if their mum still dressed them.

Oh come onnn be reasonable!
Original post by interrupting cow

:afraid::afraid::afraid::afraid: Where's your puns?!
Original post by Cheesus69
i think unless your school is actually diabolical you can do well anywhere, at the end of the day quality of revision is probably more significant than actual learning in lessons.

I attended a state school and did perfectly well in my GCSEs 4A*, 5A, 2B and am currently studying Biology, Physics, Chemistry and History at A Level, I don't feel I have lost out on benefit from attending a state school.

You do hear that grammar schools tend not to focus on mental health and the pressure to do well can be extremely stressful, the validity of which I am unsure. However you will probably have access to more opportunities that will help you go to a better university at a grammar school, it does feel rather DIY for me currently.

I quite agree with you - if you want to do well, you'll do so anywhere. I do also agree, from personal experience, that there is not much of a focus on mental health in grammar schools. However, I know that they are trying to change this, at least at my school a lot of new schemes are being introduced to support those with mental health issues, no matter how major or minor. Definitely lots of good opportunities which my state school friends don't have too. I would say overall it is a positive experience, attending a grammar school has shaped me in ways I would not have imagined, for the better!
Reply 6

I think I can give some insight because I go to a grammar school too and tbh there are a lot of nerds at my school.
Reply 7
when you talked about how they dressed is that bc of their uniform or what?
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous
hi guys, I just wanted to know what other people think about grammar schools because some of my friends go to one and have told me what non-grammar school people think of them
what ur opinion?

Its pretty chill. I go to one and ive been it one for the past four years. Its not that much different from any other school. I think the teachers are better and you get more help but only when you actively ask for it. What have non-grammer school people said?
Original post by Alstair
I think I can give some insight because I go to a grammar school too and tbh there are a lot of nerds at my school.

I also attend a grammar school xD I wasn't denying the fact that there is a higher proportion of nerds than at state schools but just questioning the criticism!
Original post by Cxm
:afraid::afraid::afraid::afraid: Where's your puns?!

I'm in a bad moood, give me a break
Reply 11
I also attend a grammar school xD I wasn't denying the fact that there is a higher proportion of nerds than at state schools but just questioning the criticism!

Don't get me wrong, I am ardently pro nerd. Big fan of the cow puns btw. Very admirabull
As someone who didnt go to a grammar school, I got 9A*s and an A at GCSE and am predicted AAAA at AS in sciences I can absolutely state it is about the work you put in not the school, although obviously having amazing teachers help d me immensely, but I had no private tutoring at all. My school is very focused on mental health and happiness of its students which is vital because happy students = successful students. I know someone on the other hand who went to a grammar school (boarding too) with similar GCSEs and really didn’t enjoy it and found them not very supportive and is now moving back to a state school to retake his a levels ,
Thatsjust two different experiences though 🤔
Original post by Cheesus69

I think firstly one point has to be made, Not all Grammars are good schools, having the title of a Grammar does not automatically qualify your school as a good school. Ultimately it depends on the teachers and the ability of the students.

I personally would say my experience in a Highly regarded grammar school hasn't always been the best, however in comparison to the comprehensive schools in my area it quite comfortably surpasses them.
Being a Grammar School means very little, really. There are some very good schools that aren't Grammar Schools, and some very bad ones that are. But the thing is, on average, Grammar Schools tend to be full of people that have been overachievers since they were 11. These places resemble Public Schools as much as a free school can, and it's not because they try to emulate them either.

I go to a Grammar School (but I joined after my GCSEs, so I have lots of experience with comprehensive schools. Sadly.), and frankly that not everyone here ends up a millionaire is shocking in itself. The work ethic is ridiculous, and you're being challenged all the time simply because there's always someone around you that is so much better than you at something (I have a grade 8 in piano and thought I was a musical genius before I met someone that has a grade 8 in five, yes five instruments, including the piano. I thought I was a mathematical genius because I got into BMO2, then I realized three of my new friends got A*s in their Maths and Further Maths A-Levels when they were in year 8 and one teaches future IMO participants. I thought I was a... I think you get the point).

The biggest advantage Grammar Schools have over comprehensive schools is that they can form an environment where everyone associates hard work with rewards. Once you have that in your mind, you will do well at whatever it is that you want to do, hence my millionaire remark earlier.

The point I'm trying to make is that there is nowhere better than a (good) Grammar School for those that cannot afford a public school (although the best Grammar Schools tend to outperform some public schools too) if you thrive when challenged and want to be around the best and brightest. But if you have a poor work ethic or simply don't like challenges, you may be better off without.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Alstair
Don't get me wrong, I am ardently pro nerd. Big fan of the cow puns btw. Very admirabull

Likewise! I have no more years at my school to look forward to so I'll really miss the atmosphere.

Why thank you, though I can't deny a lot of them are cheesy so I cud do butter!
Original post by muffinmachine
Being a Grammar School means very little, really. There are some very good schools that aren't Grammar Schools, and some very bad ones that are. But the thing is, on average, Grammar Schools tend to be full of people that have been overachievers since they were 11. These places resemble Public Schools as much as a free school can, and they really don't try to, it's a consequence of hiring great staff.

I go to a Grammar School (but I joined after my GCSEs, so I have lots of experience with comprehensive schools. Sadly.), and frankly that not everyone here ends up a millionaire is shocking in itself. The work ethic is ridiculous, and you're being challenged all the time simply because there's always someone around you that is so much better than you at something it's shocking (I have a grade 8 in piano and thought I was a musical genius before I met someone that has a grade 8 in five, yes five instruments, including the piano. I thought I was a mathematical genius because I got into BMO2, then I realized three of my new friends got A*s in their Maths and Further Maths A-Levels when they were in year 8 and one teaches future IMO participants. I thought I was a... I think you get the point).

The biggest advantage Grammar Schools have over comprehensive schools is that they can form an environment where everyone associates hard work with rewards. Once you have that in your mind, you will do well at whatever it is that you want to do, hence my millionaire remark earlier.

The point I'm trying to make is that there is nowhere better than a (good) Grammar School if you cannot afford a public school (although the best Grammar Schools tend to outperform some public schools too) if you thrive when challenged and want to be around the best and brightest. But if you have a poor work ethic or simply don't like challenges, you may be better off without.

What letter does your city begin with?

My school is in London.

It took me a whole 24 hours to realize that a stranger on the internet just asked where I live, and I told them...

So, how are you planning on killing me? I hope it's something creative...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending