The Student Room Group

Infertility

I feel like I've failed in terms of biology and being a woman.
Is it bad to be infertile? Does this turn people away?
Original post by Anonymous

You haven't failed. It's a really hard thing to deal with, and I wish that we could just fix it for you, but you have to know that you haven't failed at anything and that it isn't bad to be infertile. It's not a bad part of you. You're still the same person, and you can still explore other ways to have children in the future if that's something you want to do
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous

Infertility is not a failure and you can still be a full woman and mum. What makes a mum is loving and caring for a child, not where the child come from. What makes a wife is her relationship with her partner, not being able to produce them a child. What makes a woman is her heart, soul and character, not her fertility.

Infertility may be a bit of a mental hurdle for some people, but there's no reason you can't have a full relationship and family. It's just something that takes some thinking about and working with is all. Anybody who can't come to terms with it is frankly probably not worth much thought of being with anyway.

It's totally understandable to be having a hard time with this type of news. Fertility may not be what makes a woman, but it is something that's assumed from early on in your life and knowing you are infertile does change things a bit. In the long term it really isn't a big deal, but it is a big shock all the same.
You might find that having a talk with somebody like a counsellor or looking into online support groups or shared experiences helps you with coming to terms with things and realising how you can still be a full woman and have a full life.

Quick Reply

Latest