The Student Room Group

Quotes for Jekyll and Hyde📚ENGLISH LITERATURE GCSE

Does anyone have some easy quotes from Jekyll and Hyde that they would like to share not just to benefit you, but others also?

“Damn juggernaut” - Enfield* (thought it was Lanyon)
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
Why do u need Jekyll and Hyde quoted now ?? The exam was on Tuesday. Tomorrow it’s modern drama and poetry
Reply 2
Also it’s Enfield that says “Damned juggernaut
Original post by _WOLF_
Why do u need Jekyll and Hyde quoted now ?? The exam was on Tuesday. Tomorrow it’s modern drama and poetry

That was AQA. She's referring to WJEC
'Like some disconsolate prisoner of mien'

-Chapter 10: the incident at the window
"man is not truly one, but two"
"troglodytic"
"divide and compound"
utterson is "austere" and "cold" and "dreary"
jekyll has the respect of "the wise and good in society" but has "irregularities"
"from an an early age.. i became in secret the salve of certain appetites" - Jekyll, homosexuality
jekyll avoids is "gaiety of disposition" in order to "carry my head high"
when jekyll tries to create hyde "this, too, was myself"
enfield "you start a question, and its like starting a stone"
utterson is "somehow loveable"
utterson has "mental perplexity" and a "shudder in his blood" when he sees hyde
jekyll suffering from a disease is a "plain and simple" explination
Reply 6
'Dammed juggernaut.' - Enfield
'really like Satan' - Enfield
'Jekyll had a father's care; Hyde had a son's indifference.' - (language device: juxtaposition) Hyde's intentions wren't bad, he cared for humanity; but his care unleashed the promiscuous child that wreaked havoc upon the world. The child and the father are compared with each other.
'Man is not truly one, but truly two.' - Dual nature.
'something indescribably new and...incredibly sweet.' - Jekyll on his experiences as Hyde.
'Ape-like fury.' - (language device: simile) Relating to Darwin and his theory of evolution, wildly opposing the ubiquitous belief almost unanimously held by the Catholic society at the time of Creation by God in England. Shows that Hyde is against everyone and everything.
'clubbed...to the Earth' - Violent nature of the Id.
'bones were audibly shattered' - (language device: onomatopoeia) Viscous and brutal nature of Carew's unjustified and completely immoral murder by Hyde.
'scientific heresies' - Lanyon on Jekyll's exploration of the supernatural science. - Remember that Lanyon is more about empirical, factual, rational science; he is very reliant on it and is incredulous to anything else, along with believing that science should not be tested or tampered in the fashion in which Jekyll does throughout the novel to help separate man's Ego from their Id.
'if he be Mr. Hyde...I shall be Mr. Seek.' - Utterson's dual nature beginning to revealed as he goes prying into Jekyll's business to find more about the will.
'this is not fitting language' - Utterson does not like the way Hyde is talking during their first encounter, indicative of Utterson's nature as a Victorian gentleman.
'It is one thing to mortify curiosity, another to conquer it.' - Jekyll (I believe)
'my devil had been long caged, he came out roaring.' - Jekyll about Hyde.

These should help you to survive almost anything that you're faced with. I've used these quotes multiple times when answering questions, they are very versatile and can expand across a range of different themes and characters to help support your interpretations. Good luck!
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 7
“Ape-like fury”
- animalistic
-simile
man is not truly one but truly two
pdf with some quotes + analysis
https://missransom.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/dr-jekyll-and-mr-hyde-litchart.pdf

quote thread
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5277456
moving your post to the english forum- in future for subject specific posts please post them in the specified subject forum- you're more likely to get more replies and not have your post swallowed up in the traffic:smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Shook the doors of the prison house
Morbid sense of shame
Committed to a profound duplicity of life
Polar twins
Neither diabolical or divine
Devil had long been caged

- chapter ten Jekylls confession
Good luck 😀

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending