The Student Room Group

CIE IGCSE World Literature 22nd and 25th May 2018

Hi guys,

Anyone taking this exam? I know it's quite unpopular compared to English Literature as only around 5% of test takers get A*...

If you do happen to take this course, what set texts are you studying?
I've studied:

Nervous Conditions
Songs of Ourselves Volume 2 Part 3

If you do need any help, feel free to let me know :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Text for me is The Secret River and Macbeth.

I think I might be able to scrape a A* if I do good in the unseen poetry analysis and don't mess up Paper 1 too bad...Gotta stay optimistic.
Reply 2
Original post by jipta
Text for me is The Secret River and Macbeth.

I think I might be able to scrape a A* if I do good in the unseen poetry analysis and don't mess up Paper 1 too bad...Gotta stay optimistic.

Haha I'll get A* as well if I don't screw up unseen :P. Make sure you revise all the quotes for the set texts!
Reply 3
Definitely not the best unseen...
Hi there :wavey:
I've moved your thread to the English exams and study help forum where hopefully you'll get more answers :smile: In future, it's best to select the subject from the list here and create a thread in there instead :yep: If you want to see where threads belong, check out this thread :smile:
Original post by Harry Xu
Hi guys,

Anyone taking this exam? I know it's quite unpopular compared to English Literature as only around 5% of test takers get A*...

If you do happen to take this course, what set texts are you studying?
I've studied:

Nervous Conditions
Songs of Ourselves Volume 2 Part 3

If you do need any help, feel free to let me know :smile:

Hello,

I've studied Nervous Conditions and Stories of Ourselves. But for paper 3 set text I'm definitely going to be doing Nervous Conditions.

All the best for the paper 3 tomorrow!
Reply 6
Original post by brocolliy
Hello,

I've studied Nervous Conditions and Stories of Ourselves. But for paper 3 set text I'm definitely going to be doing Nervous Conditions.

All the best for the paper 3 tomorrow!

Best of luck to you as well! I've revised for poetry and I'm trying to memorise Nervous Conditions xD.
How did you find WL paper 2? I did the 22 paper and I thought it was easier than last year's text.
Reply 8
How did you find WL paper 2? I did the 22 paper and I thought it was easier than last year's text.

Was it the option between the poem about the guy getting the job and his sister (I read it through once, didn't fully understand it and skipped it) or how is the trespassing scene strikingly dramatic (I did this one).

Meh, it was ok, not the best, not the worst. I only had a few good analyses. Which one did you choose?
Was it the option between the poem about the guy getting the job and his sister (I read it through once, didn't fully understand it and skipped it) or how is the trespassing scene strikingly dramatic (I did this one).

Meh, it was ok, not the best, not the worst. I only had a few good analyses. Which one did you choose?

Same, I also did the tresspassing one. What points did you put in your essay?
Reply 10
Same, I also did the tresspassing one. What points did you put in your essay?

- use of plosives when describing the dog ("big ... bull-eyed dog"). Increases sound imagery by the explosive sounds, creating a sense of intimidation, making the dog seem powerful and scary. It is dramatic as it is overpowering image.
- gun jerking or something, foreshadowing the death of someone maybe later after this extract, which builds up this anticipation and tension.
- the last speech made by the man as it is in exclamation marks, showing an outburst, and reaching the climax
- The man is authoritative and powerful, maybe associating with the police or military as he wears the military cap, a green suit (possibly camouflage showing his stealth and skilfulness, showing how the family is not self-aware so there might be more unpredicted things happening)
- The son's narrative voice (in first person) making everything unpredictable as both the reader and the son do not know what will happen next

I also talked about there is no correlation between the start and end of the passage, maybe signifying a change in the narrator's life (in a bad way)

Probably talked about a lot more, but can't remember.

Hbu?
The poem was quite difficult right, not just me?

I chose to do the poem.

I think it was alright, but definitely not my best.
(edited 5 years ago)
I’ve got good coursework and poetry and prose so I’m pretty much guaranteed an A* unless I have a stroke in tommorows exam
Reply 13
Original post by BanditMir16
I’ve got good coursework and poetry and prose so I’m pretty much guaranteed an A* unless I have a stroke in tommorows exam

What did you get for your coursework? I got 56/65 which isn't amazing but not that bad so I'm still cramming ;-; 2 hrs left
69/75 And I found poetry and prose pretty easy
(edited 5 years ago)

What did you get for your coursework? I got 56/65 which isn't amazing but not that bad so I'm still cramming ;-; 2 hrs left

Reply 16

... Coursework is out of 65... do you mean 59/65?

Also, just did the set text :smile: easy AF
... Coursework is out of 65... do you mean 59/65?

Also, just did the set text :smile: easy AF

Ehh...we did 3 peices of literature coursework, Macbeth, Speech and Letter, 25 marks each, a 50 Mark poetry and prose exam and today, a drama exam. So...do you do IGCSE OCR?
Reply 18
Ehh...we did 3 peices of literature coursework, Macbeth, Speech and Letter, 25 marks each, a 50 Mark poetry and prose exam and today, a drama exam. So...do you do IGCSE OCR?

Oh I do CIE IGCSE. It's also 3 pieces of coursework, but we have 2 essays (50 marks) and an oral conversation (15 marks).

We don't need to do drama :smile: Well I guess it was part of our coursework :P
Oh I do CIE IGCSE. It's also 3 pieces of coursework, but we have 2 essays (50 marks) and an oral conversation (15 marks).

We don't need to do drama :smile: Well I guess it was part of our coursework :P

NP how did you find yours?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending