The Student Room Group

English proficiency score

I would like to ask whether Cambridge and Oxford ever outright denied applicants who couldn't meet their English minimum requirements.

From my current understanding, Oxbridge will usually give a conditional offer in case they are satisfied with the rest of applicant's qualifications and give applicants a chance to improve their English scores in order to be accepted. Am I right in this regard?

I'm asking this because I couldn't get the minimum score in IELTS' Speaking and Writing modules. I got 6 in both and 9 in the rests, but they require at least 7 in all modules.

I'm hesitating if I should submit my IELTS score. If they use English score to deny applicants instead of giving conditional offer, then isn't it better to not include my score at all until I can meet their minimum requirement?

PS. I'm referring to a master degree programme.
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help :h:
Reply 2
Original post by V944817
I would like to ask whether Cambridge and Oxford ever outright denied applicants who couldn't meet their English minimum requirements.

From my current understanding, Oxbridge will usually give a conditional offer in case they are satisfied with the rest of applicant's qualifications and give applicants a chance to improve their English scores in order to be accepted. Am I right in this regard?

I'm asking this because I couldn't get the minimum score in IELTS' Speaking and Writing modules. I got 6 in both and 9 in the rests, but they require at least 7 in all modules.

I'm hesitating if I should submit my IELTS score. If they use English score to deny applicants instead of giving conditional offer, then isn't it better to not include my score at all until I can meet their minimum requirement?

PS. I'm referring to a master degree programme.

This is what Cambridge says:
https://www.graduate.study.cam.ac.uk/entry-requirements
and
https://www.graduate.study.cam.ac.uk/international-students/competence-english/will-i-have-language-requirement
and note "It is not necessary to have met the Language requirement at the point of application. The only exception to this is for applicant to the Master of Law (LLM)."
Reply 3
Original post by Doonesbury
This is what Cambridge says:
https://www.graduate.study.cam.ac.uk/entry-requirements
and
https://www.graduate.study.cam.ac.uk/international-students/competence-english/will-i-have-language-requirement
and note "It is not necessary to have met the Language requirement at the point of application. The only exception to this is for applicant to the Master of Law (LLM)."

I have seen the explanation before but what I wonder is should I submit my current English score that doesn't yet meet the minimum requirements.
I'm afraid that my lower-than-minimum English score will automatically get me denied. If that's the case, wouldn't it be better to not submit the score at this point so that my application can be decided based on every qualification but English.
Reply 4
Original post by V944817
I have seen the explanation before but what I wonder is should I submit my current English score that doesn't yet meet the minimum requirements.
I'm afraid that my lower-than-minimum English score will automatically get me denied. If that's the case, wouldn't it be better to not submit the score at this point so that my application can be decided based on every qualification but English.

If you are required to declare all results then you need to declare it. Eitherway it won't make a difference to the actual offer decision. Any offer would be conditional on IELTS.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
As that question was asked two months ago, I don't know whether it is still relevant for you but also for further reference:
I am not sure about whether they would deny someone outright because of their language scores. I do not think though that you are obliged to state language tests you have taken. I took the Cambridge Exam before applying to Ox (for undergrad though) and I didn't state it (also because it would have missed the requirements slightly). I wouldn't advise you to include the test if it doesn't meet the requirement. I would either retake it asap and then include a score which does meet the requirements or just not include it. You do have to work on your speaking and writing score then - I do not think they'll let you in if you don't meet this requirements. At some point you will have to meet them.
I later took the IELTS and got a sufficient score.
(I do understand your problem though - especially the writing and speaking sections can be tricky. I was very nervous for speaking and therefore only got 7 which was a difference to my 9s in listening and reading. And the writing parts can often be very much not straightforward if you come from a non-UK education system as the criteria are very weird and different from what one might be used to.)
Reply 6
Original post by scblx
As that question was asked two months ago, I don't know whether it is still relevant for you but also for further reference:
I am not sure about whether they would deny someone outright because of their language scores. I do not think though that you are obliged to state language tests you have taken. I took the Cambridge Exam before applying to Ox (for undergrad though) and I didn't state it (also because it would have missed the requirements slightly). I wouldn't advise you to include the test if it doesn't meet the requirement. I would either retake it asap and then include a score which does meet the requirements or just not include it. You do have to work on your speaking and writing score then - I do not think they'll let you in if you don't meet this requirements. At some point you will have to meet them.
I later took the IELTS and got a sufficient score.
(I do understand your problem though - especially the writing and speaking sections can be tricky. I was very nervous for speaking and therefore only got 7 which was a difference to my 9s in listening and reading. And the writing parts can often be very much not straightforward if you come from a non-UK education system as the criteria are very weird and different from what one might be used to.)

Thank you for your input. Yes, I do find writing and speaking modules tricky as I'm not from English speaking country. I suppose your answer will be helpful to other applicants in the future as well. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending