The Student Room Group

Should I take Biology A-Level

Hi,In my school you can take 3 A-Levels. My other two are almost definitely going to be Chemistry and Politics but I'm not sure whether to take English Lit or Biology.I am doing slightly better in English Lit but I don't really enjoy reading. However I can't draw at all and my Biology teacher said I need to be good at sketching to draw diagrams.Would appreciate any suggestions or guidance
Reply 1
Original post by Benjy_AFC
Hi,In my school you can take 3 A-Levels. My other two are almost definitely going to be Chemistry and Politics but I'm not sure whether to take English Lit or Biology.I am doing slightly better in English Lit but I don't really enjoy reading. However I can't draw at all and my Biology teacher said I need to be good at sketching to draw diagrams.Would appreciate any suggestions or guidance

Reading is more important for EngLit than drawing is for Biology.

Biology is a science, not fine art...
The most you need to be able to draw is a circle with some x's inside i.e. phases in the miotic cycle. Regardless, Biology is horribile, I would avoid at all costs.
Reply 3
What are you thinking of doing after your A-levels? If it's going to university, which courses are you considering?
Original post by Wolfram Alpha
The most you need to be able to draw is a circle with some x's inside i.e. phases in the miotic cycle. Regardless, Biology is horribile, I would avoid at all costs.

avoid at all costs.
Reply 5
Original post by Doonesbury
What are you thinking of doing after your A-levels? If it's going to university, which courses are you considering?

Honestly I really don't know. I would like togo further with politics but also science (more research rather than be a GP). Might consider being a vet as I love animals. People have said biology has a lot of content but I am quite clever so I think I may be able to handle it.
Reply 6
Original post by Doonesbury
Reading is more important for EngLit than drawing is for Biology.

Biology is a science, not fine art...

ok thanks will bear that in mind
Reply 7
Honestly I really don't know. I would like togo further with politics but also science (more research rather than be a GP). Might consider being a vet as I love animals. People have said biology has a lot of content but I am quite clever so I think I may be able to handle it.

If you enjoy biology at the moment, and you are considering being a vet (or working in animal research) you will need Biology A-level.

Alternatively if you decide to go down the politics (or law) route then having two sciences plus one essay subject is absolutely fine.
@thotproduct
give a brother some insight

I take Biology, Chemistry and Geography. I have found Biology to be very interesting, the content isn't that hard but there is a LOT of it. Also my drawing skills are abismal and I manage just fine. I would definitely recommend taking Biology, especially if you're considering becoming a vet.
@thotproduct
give a brother some insight

AVOID

imagine dropping english literature only to take an even fatter essay subject what a self-bazinga
I would argue that biology is the best subject I ever did at school, then again I'm a vet student so is that a massive surprise :wink:
Reply 12
Original post by Anonymoususer16
I take Biology, Chemistry and Geography. I have found Biology to be very interesting, the content isn't that hard but there is a LOT of it. Also my drawing skills are abismal and I manage just fine. I would definitely recommend taking Biology, especially if you're considering becoming a vet.

ok thanks.
Oh just read you're considering being a vet - you need A level biology then
Original post by thotproduct
AVOID

imagine dropping english literature only to take an even fatter essay subject what a self-bazinga

true story, would be a pretty humerus mistake to make
Reply 15
Original post by thotproduct
AVOID

Couldn’t have said it any better.
Reply 16

Not very positive...
Original post by Black Water
Not very positive...

That's the truth yo!
Reply 18
That's the truth yo!

Can’t even deny it. I can’t verbally describe how true it is.

Quick Reply

Latest