The Student Room Group

University transfer urgent help needed

Hello,
I am a first year student at a university, but I think I am going to fail this year as I misjudged the amount of work, and I am really ill (doctor won't write an email to the university as he said everyone gets ill).
I don't want to continue doing this course, but want to switch to a different course starting next year (I'll restart from first year), how can I do it?
I can't apply through UCAS as that would waste another year and would take too long.
Also, would I have to admit to the university that I failed first year? Thank you for any help
Wasting a year preparing yourself more for uni, getting some saving etc is better than doing something you hate
Original post by Bill Nye
Wasting a year preparing yourself more for uni, getting some saving etc is better than doing something you hate

It's not that I hate my course, as it is kind of similar to the one I want to transfer to, but I wanted to know the process and whether or not I have to tell them that I failed first year, and the amount of time it will take
Reply 3
Original post by IneedHelp211
Hello,
I am a first year student at a university, but I think I am going to fail this year as I misjudged the amount of work, and I am really ill (doctor won't write an email to the university as he said everyone gets ill).
I don't want to continue doing this course, but want to switch to a different course starting next year (I'll restart from first year), how can I do it?
I can't apply through UCAS as that would waste another year and would take too long.
Also, would I have to admit to the university that I failed first year? Thank you for any help

Do you want to swicth to a different course at the same university?

Have you spoken to you university tutor about your concerns?

And yes you can certainly apply to another university, and you do indeed do that via UCAS. Have a look at the Transfer FAQ for full details:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1781424
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Doonesbury
Do you want to swicth to a different course at the same university?

Have you spoken to you university tutor about your concerns?

And yes you can certainly apply to another university, and you do indeed do that via UCAS. Have a look at the Transfer FAQ for full details:
University Transfer FAQ

Switching to a different course at the same university would be best, but I don't think my university would allow that (especially as I think I'm going to fail).
I have not spoken to my tutor about it yet, but I'll set a meeting ASAP.
The link for university transfer doesn't work for some reason
Also, if I do it via UCAS, will I have to spend a whole year as a gap year?
Out of the 10 modules I am doing, I think I will fail about 4
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
Switching to a different course at the same university would be best, but I don't think my university would allow that (especially as I think I'm going to fail).
I have not spoken to my tutor about it yet, but I'll set a meeting ASAP.
The link for university transfer doesn't work for some reason
Also, if I do it via UCAS, will I have to spend a whole year as a gap year?
Out of the 10 modules I am doing, I think I will fail about 4

I've fixed that link - sorry!

The university will usually be happier for you to stay than leave so don't assume anything :smile:

No you can apply for courses to start in Sept/Oct this year, and offers will be mostly based on your A-level grades already achieved.
UCAS Extra is open at the moment - start by looking there.
https://digital.ucas.com/search
(But set the filter for Courses With Vacancies, and then call those universities to check they really are still accepting applications.)
Hello,

Back in octomber when I wanted to transfer most of the universities they told me that I have to apply through ucas. So you can do that. The only reason to not accept you is only if you want to do your current course in a different university and go straight to second year. Most universities they don't let you do that , at least not for law. They are telling you that you have to start from the first year again. Apart from uni of leeds (which requires a high 2:1) and uni of cardiff (which requires a pass). But, as this isn't your case, I don't see why they wouldn't accept you.
(edited 5 years ago)
I've fixed that link - sorry!

The university will usually be happier for you to stay than leave so don't assume anything :smile:

No you can apply for courses to start in Sept/Oct this year, and offers will be mostly based on your A-level grades already achieved.
UCAS Extra is open at the moment - start by looking there.
https://digital.ucas.com/search
(But set the filter for Courses With Vacancies, and then call those universities to check they really are still accepting applications.)

Thank you for fixing the link, I'll read it today :smile:
I really hope that they will allow me to stay :frown:
All the universities I'm looking at through UCAS extra say that they are no longer accepting applications and to contact the provider?
I had pretty decent A-level results (not as good as I wanted, but good enough to get into most universities)
Also, thank you very much for all your help :smile:
Original post by whocares1222222
Back in octomber when I wanted to transfer most of the universities they told me that I have to apply through ucas. So you can do that. The only reason to not accept you is only if you want to do your current course in a different university and go straight to second year. Most universities they don't let you do that , at least not for law. They are telling you that you have to start from the first year again. Apart from uni of leeds (which requires a high 2:1) and uni of cardiff (which requires a pass). But, as this isn't your case, I don't see why they wouldn't accept you.

Oh I see, so did you transfer from one university to another during your first year?
Reply 9
Thank you for fixing the link, I'll read it today :smile:
I really hope that they will allow me to stay :frown:
All the universities I'm looking at through UCAS extra say that they are no longer accepting applications and to contact the provider?
I had pretty decent A-level results (not as good as I wanted, but good enough to get into most universities)
Also, thank you very much for all your help :smile:

Which course and which universities? They may have places in Clearing nearer to Results Day.
Which course and which universities? They may have places in Clearing nearer to Results Day.

I'm looking into computing at one of the top 5-6 universities (not Oxbridge), and preferably in London
(edited 5 years ago)
Oh I see, so did you transfer from one university to another during your first year?

no. I wanted to transfer from Uni of Liverpool and go to Newcastle or Manchester but manchester this year doesn't accept transfers for law. And newcastle told me that I have to do my first year again. The only universities that they told me that it's okay was the Uni of Leeds (which requires a high 2:1-something that I'm not gonna get) and cardiff (a pass-But I don't like the city and liverpool is better university than cardiff.)
no. I wanted to transfer from Uni of Liverpool and go to Newcastle or Manchester but manchester this year doesn't accept transfers for law. And newcastle told me that I have to do my first year again. The only universities that they told me that it's okay was the Uni of Leeds (which requires a high 2:1-something that I'm not gonna get) and cardiff (a pass-But I don't like the city and liverpool is better university than cardiff.)

So what are you planning on doing now? Are you staying at Liverpool?
So what are you planning on doing now? Are you staying at Liverpool?

yeah
yeah

That's cool, thanks for your help btw :smile:
Reply 15
I'm looking into computing at one of the top 5-6 universities (not Oxbridge), and preferably in London

Oxbridge and Imperial don't participate in Extra or Clearing.

The "top 5 or 6" aren't in London (apart from Imperial)...

Of the top 10 you can add UCL as a London university but they would be unlikely to be in Clearing for CompSci.

Looking further "down" the rankings for London universities QMUL is in Extra
https://digital.ucas.com/courses/details?coursePrimaryId=66bb470d-48a7-3e97-7c47-35b6dbbf609c&academicYearId=2018
Oxbridge and Imperial don't participate in Extra or Clearing.

The "top 5 or 6" aren't in London (apart from Imperial)...

Of the top 10 you can add UCL as a London university but they would be unlikely to be in Clearing for CompSci.

Looking further "down" the rankings for London universities QMUL is in Extra
https://digital.ucas.com/courses/details?coursePrimaryId=66bb470d-48a7-3e97-7c47-35b6dbbf609c&academicYearId=2018

Ah I see, I will have a look at the different universities then. Thank you very much for all your help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending