The Student Room Group

Physics AL vs Biology AL

So, i'm both interested in becoming a doctor and an engineer, but i'm having quite the time choosing; I'm good at both subjects and got a star in my igcse.
I just want to know which subject is harder?
Which profession is better (engineering/ medicine)?
And your overall input on the subject
Thanks in advance.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by WannabeEinstein
So, i'm both interested in becoming a doctor and an engineer, but i'm having quite the time choosing; I'm good at both subjects and got a star in my igcse.
Thanks in advance.

Physics is harder than biology.
Every A-level student would agree.
Also medicine is better than engineering.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Kev lad
Physics is harder than biology.
Every A-level student would agree.
Also medicine is better than engineering as you make more 💰💵💸.

Every A-level student does not agree on anything, not in the least because that is an extremely poorly defined sample to begin with.

Some find learning the more procedural approaches in physics considerably easier than simply having to learn large blocks of information as in biology - neither is necessarily harder than the other.

Additionally money is literally the worst reason to go into medicine, even more than "well my parents said I have to so..." as at least that engenders a sense of obligation...

Thanks in advance.

If you are considering either/both, I would note they are entirely different career areas so you should look to get some relevant work experience for medicine as soon as possible to determine if it is for you.

In terms of A-level subjects the combination of A-level Physics, Chemistry, and Maths (and FM, potentially) satisfies the criteria for the vast majority of engineering courses, if not all of them, and there are a number of medicine courses which do not require A-level Biology and A-level Chemistry along with one or more other science (including Maths) subjects is accepted as in the suggested combination.

I would strongly recommend Further Maths for Engineering.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger
If you are considering either/both, I would note they are entirely different career areas so you should look to get some relevant work experience for medicine as soon as possible to determine if it is for you.

In terms of A-level subjects the combination of A-level Physics, Chemistry, and Maths (and FM, potentially) satisfies the criteria for the vast majority of engineering courses, if not all of them, and there are a number of medicine courses which do not require A-level Biology and A-level Chemistry along with one or more other science (including Maths) subjects is accepted as in the suggested combination.

The guy asked for input. I gave input.
It’s not a poor sample for giving views.
Biology is easier than physics.
A lot would agree!
Learning info is easier than applied knowledge...
Reply 4

Also another thing.
Surgeon doctors or orthopaedic and radiologists make more than engineers.
So plz explain some more irrelevance on how medicine is poor pay.
Not all is Poor Pay! The average salary yes.
But in terms of “Medicine” as a whole you have clearly misunderstood the concept of which is better engineering or medicine.
If a person goes into medicine it doesn’t mean they will get a bad pay they could want to do surgeon work.
Whereas in engineering it’s very unlikely you could exceed the 100k a year wage.
In medicine there’s a better possibility that you can...
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Kev lad
A lot would agree!

This reads like something Donald Trump would write...although to be charitable, you can spell biology.

It's a poorly defined sample, not a poor sample. Reading comprehension may be something to work on.

What is "a lot"? A 95% confidence interval? 5 individuals? You?

Learning "info" may be easier than "applied knowledge" for you but that isn't the same for others. Which is why people apply to Oxbridge for subjects other than medicine, despite demonstrably being able to achieve highly - even in areas of "applied knowledge" like Physics.

I'm sure OP can evaluate your "argument" in context of criticism(s) for themselves. You gave input, it was pointed out that there is no substance to it. Twice. That probably speaks volumes in of itself...
Original post by Kev lad
Also another thing.
Surgeon doctors or orthopaedic and radiologists make more than engineers.
So plz explain some more irrelevance on how medicine is poor pay.
Not all is Poor Pay! The average salary yes.
But in terms of “Medicine” as a whole you have clearly misunderstood the concept of which is better engineering or medicine.
If a person goes into medicine it doesn’t mean they will get a bad pay they could want to do surgeon work.
Whereas in engineering it’s very unlikely you could exceed the 100k a year wage.
In medicine there’s a better possibility that you can...

Once again you failed to actually read my comment. I stated that it is a bad reason to go into medicine, because frankly, I want my doctor to look at me as more than a walking petri dish that is lining their pockets. Most people would agree, and there is a reason empathy is a key quality for prospective physicians and surgeons.

Also engineers working in consulting roles do very well for themselves, and tend to have a better quality of life than most medical specialties earlier in their career and comparable in those later stages. Money isn't everything.
Thanks in advance.

Have you looked into bioengineering?
Reply 8
Once again you failed to actually read my comment. I stated that it is a bad reason to go into medicine, because frankly, I want my doctor to look at me as more than a walking petri dish that is lining their pockets. Most people would agree, and there is a reason empathy is a key quality for prospective physicians and surgeons.

Also engineers working in consulting roles do very well for themselves, and tend to have a better quality of life than most medical specialties earlier in their career and comparable in those later stages. Money isn't everything.

You are narcissistic 😂
Money is everything pal.
Money improves the quality of life. But as you would put it not everyone would agree. Once again you can continue contradicting yourself and put your self under some illusion that your correct.
I’m not hear to start an argument or “dish” out insults but it’s clear that you don’t intend to help someone seeking advice. All you intend to do it claim someone is wrong. Or as you would put it “failed”.
Now it’s your choice if you want to continue but please bare in mind that your suppose to be helping.
We both have different views...
Original post by Kev lad
You are narcissistic 😂
Money is everything pal.
Money improves the quality of life. But as you would put it not everyone would agree. Once again you can continue contradicting yourself and put your self under some illusion that your correct.
I’m not hear to start an argument or “dish” out insults but it’s clear that you don’t intend to help someone seeking advice. All you intend to do it claim someone is wrong. Or as you would put it “failed”.
Now it’s your choice if you want to continue but please bare in mind that your suppose to be helping.
We both have different views...

The cognitive dissonance required to call someone observing that "money is not the only thing needed in life" a narcissist is just...staggering. Regardless, I have made sensible recommendations to the OP in my original comment.

Incidentally (which may interest OP as well...) A-level Physics has had approximately 30% of students achieve A* or A grades each year over the last 5 years, compared to Biology wavering between 25% and 28%. Additionally, while the subjects have similar fail (grade <C) rates, Biology consistently has about 0.5-2% of students getting failing grades as defined, compared to physics. If Biology is "easier", why do students get worse grades on average than in Physics?

The fundamental "difference" between us is that I live in reality and base my recommendations on real, existing evidence, and you do not.
(edited 5 years ago)
The cognitive dissonance required to call someone observing that "money is not the only thing needed in life" a narcissist is just...staggering. Regardless, I have made sensible recommendations to the OP in my original comment.

Incidentally (which may interest OP as well...) A-level Physics has had approximately 30% of students achieve A* or A grades each year over the last 5 years, compared to Biology wavering between 25% and 28%. If Biolgoy is "easier", why do students get worse grades on average than in Physics?

The fundamental "difference" between us is that I live in reality and base my recommendations on real, existing evidence, and you do not.

And where exactly is this evidence 😂
Show proof instead of words.
I could easily make up statistics as well
Original post by Kev lad
A lot would agree!

absolute bs, physics is piss after you finish the content and do 1 or 2 past papers. bio has 10x the content,and to me anyways, the content is harder, plus the exam questions require a lot of application whereas physics you get the general gist of it after a few past papers.
Original post by sdfsdd
absolute bs, physics is piss after you finish the content and do 1 or 2 past papers. bio has 10x the content,and to me anyways, the content is harder, plus the exam questions require a lot of application whereas physics you get the general gist of it after a few past papers.

Yet universities agree biology is easier 🙃
Original post by Kev lad
Yet universities agree biology is easier 🙃

lol the article you got that from is titled "why biology is harder". anyways, the point is, like most things its subjective, i may find physics easier and you may find biology easier.
Original post by sdfsdd
lol the article you got that from is titled "why biology is harder". anyways, the point is, like most things its subjective, i may find physics easier and you may find biology easier.

The article is titled which is harder 😂 not “why biology is harder”.
Original post by sdfsdd

But in terms of agreeing I fully acknowledge that people find different subjects difficult.
In essence, I find geography harder than history.
But in terms of an A-level physics is harder 🙃
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Kev lad
The article is titled which is harder 😂 not “why biology is harder”.

its really not
Original post by sdfsdd
its really not

***** please 😂
Original post by Kev lad
***** please 😂

cant tell if ur trolling or not
Original post by sdfsdd
cant tell if ur trolling or not

Can’t tell if your retarded or deluded 😂

Quick Reply

Latest