The Student Room Group

MAT Prep Thread 2018

Scroll to see replies

Original post by r_gup
Thanks a lot. I will be more involved with this thread from tomorrow. What is an OP by the way?

Original post :h: the STEP thread has a very extensive first post which is used every year and elaborates a lot more on STEP than this one does on MAT. It would be great if you and/or other MAT candidates/people who know about MAT could make an OP which is just as informative as the STEP one (I'd help but I'm a modern languages applicant who knows pretty much nothing about MAT :lol:).
Reply 21
Original post by Sonechka
Original post :h: the STEP thread has a very extensive first post which is used every year and elaborates a lot more on STEP than this one does on MAT. It would be great if you and/or other MAT candidates/people who know about MAT could make an OP which is just as informative as the STEP one (I'd help but I'm a modern languages applicant who knows pretty much nothing about MAT :lol:).

Thanks. How can I add/edit the first post?
Original post by r_gup
Thanks. How can I add/edit the first post?

At the bottom of the post and to the left of the orange button which says "reply", there should be an edit button.
Reply 23
Original post by Sonechka
At the bottom of the post and to the left of the orange button which says "reply", there should be an edit button.

Thanks. Found it.
Reply 24
I am unable to upload the past papers in the first post. TSR's websit keeps showing 'Service Unavailable'. What should I do?
Reply 25
Capture.PNG

Found this question in the STEP thread. I feel it is relevant to the MAT.
in
Reply 27
Original post by thotproduct
in

??
Please explain.
Original post by r_gup
??
Please explain.

Fairly self explanatory.

I'm doing the question now, chat more when I've done.
Original post by r_gup
I am unable to upload the past papers in the first post. TSR's websit keeps showing 'Service Unavailable'. What should I do?

Attachments often cause problems. Just link the MAT website with them all on :smile:
That OP is generally rather out of date given it's talking about the old specification MAT, old spec maths etc. I've been doing a fair bit of research into what's changed and could update the OP if you're happy with that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Original post by Lemur14
Attachments often cause problems. Just link the MAT website with them all on :smile:
That OP is generally rather out of date given it's talking about the old specification MAT, old spec maths etc. I've been doing a fair bit of research into what's changed and could update the OP if you're happy with that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, please.
Reply 31
MAT 2002 1H.PNG

What should be the answer? Boris?
Reply 32
MAT 2002 1I.PNG

What should be the answer?
Either (iii) and (iv){for a=c and b=d} or (i) and (iv) { for a=b and c=d}?
Reply 33
38178649-EFAF-46A1-8034-98CE42FB0670.jpg.jpeg

Could someone please explain what this solution means? What does it mean by the second equality? It’s not clear to me how they get from sinx < x < tanx to the required result. Thanks.
Reply 34
Original post by s.xw
38178649-EFAF-46A1-8034-98CE42FB0670.jpg.jpeg

Could someone please explain what this solution means? What does it mean by the second equality? It’s not clear to me how they get from sinx < x < tanx to the required result. Thanks.

Can you please upload the entire image or the year of the paper?
Reply 35
Original post by r_gup

Sorry , found it . MAT 2010 Question 3.
Reply 36
Original post by r_gup

2010 Q3 (i) requires you to derive a given result from a diagram. The rest of the question uses this result and I was able to get most of it, but I just don’t get what their solution to (i) is trying to say.
Reply 37
Original post by s.xw
2010 Q3 (i) requires you to derive a given result from a diagram. The rest of the question uses this result and I was able to get most of it, but I just don’t get what their solution to (i) is trying to say.

So , Area Δ\DeltaOAC = 12\frac{1}{2} sin(x)
Area Sector OAC = 12\frac{1}{2} x
Area Δ\DeltaOAB = 12\frac{1}{2} tan(x)

As Area Δ\DeltaOAC< Area Sector OAC<Area Δ\DeltaOAB,

12\frac{1}{2} sin(x)< 12\frac{1}{2} x<12\frac{1}{2} tan(x)

so sin(x)<x<tan(x)

Now multiplying with cos(x),
sin(2x)2\frac{sin(2x)}{2} <xcos(x)<sin(x)
as tan(x) = sin(x)cos(x)\frac{sin(x)}{cos(x)} , hence cos(x) will be cancelled out.
Using sin(x)> xcos(x) ,(from the above inequality)
x>sin(x)>xcos(x)
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 38
Original post by r_gup
MAT 2002 1I.PNG

What should be the answer?
Either (iii) and (iv){for a=c and b=d} or (i) and (iv) { for a=b and c=d}?

This is a guess. But they imply that
if a-d = c-b, then
ad bc.
Therefore c > a, b > d or c < a, b < d. This contradicts (i). Therefore (d) is the answer. As I say, complete guess and probably wrong! I’ve just started looking at MAT papers a few days ago.
Reply 39
Original post by r_gup
So , Area Δ\DeltaOAC = 12\frac{1}{2} sin(x)
Area Sector OAC = 12\frac{1}{2} x
Area Δ\DeltaOAB = 12\frac{1}{2} tan(x)

As Area Δ\DeltaOAC< Area Sector OAC<Area Δ\DeltaOAB,

12\frac{1}{2} sin(x)< 12\frac{1}{2} x<12\frac{1}{2} tan(x)

so sin(x)<x<tan(x)

Now multiplying with cos(x),
sin(2x)2\frac{sin(2x)}{2} <xcos(x)<sin(x)
as tan(x) = sin(x)cos(x)\frac{sin(x)}{cos(x)} , hence cos(x) will be cancelled out.
Using sin(x)> xcos(x) ,(from the above inequality)
x>sin(x)>xcos(x)

Thank you so much! Forgot that I had just proved x > sinx and didn’t occur to me to reuse the fact.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending