The Student Room Group

I think I have gynecomastia

I’m 20 and I believe I have gynecomastia, will it go away or do I need to see a doctor?

Scroll to see replies

You need to see a doctor
Do some research on the causes of the condition, as well as booking an appointment with the doctor. Unfortunately your immediate treatment options are rather limited - most having to do with hormonal therapy, which can have many side effects. Gynecomastica is caused by an imbalance of estrogen in the body. It may be that either you are producing too much testosterone, and this is being converted to estrogen, or you are taking in large amounts from an external source. Here are some considerations for you which may improve the outlook:- Reduce consumption or use of beer, BPA, soy, parabens, liqourish, mint, and dairy- Make an effort to reduce bodyfat % (fat tissue has estrogenic properties - converting testosterone into an estrogen)- Exercise. Short, explosive bursts are the most effective at increasing muscle mass. This will 'give more places' for the testosterone to hide.- Adjust your sleep pattern. If you are not sleeping enough, or waking up too early or late, this can mess with hormone production - Increase intake of zinc, magnesium, vitamin D, biotin- Make an effort to reduce the stressors in your life to a manageble level. Cortisol is the stress hormone, It wreaks havoc in your body.- Athough the research is still fuzzy, consider quitting smoking. It has been shown to reduce male fertility, though other studies dispute this. It's important to know that gyno is common within pubescent(13-25) males, and normally resolves during post-puberty. If you are perscribed a testosterone replacement therapy, or SHBG medication, research, research research before taking themGood luck.P.S if you ARE using anabolic steroids, opiates, or any other drug which has clear effects on the endocrine system, don't be stupid, stupid, and stop.
Reply 3
Original post by SundayWeekday
Do some research on the causes of the condition, as well as booking an appointment with the doctor. Unfortunately your immediate treatment options are rather limited - most having to do with hormonal therapy, which can have many side effects. Gynecomastica is caused by an imbalance of estrogen in the body. It may be that either you are producing too much testosterone, and this is being converted to estrogen, or you are taking in large amounts from an external source. Here are some considerations for you which may improve the outlook:- Reduce consumption or use of beer, BPA, soy, parabens, liqourish, mint, and dairy- Make an effort to reduce bodyfat % (fat tissue has estrogenic properties - converting testosterone into an estrogen)- Exercise. Short, explosive bursts are the most effective at increasing muscle mass. This will 'give more places' for the testosterone to hide.- Adjust your sleep pattern. If you are not sleeping enough, or waking up too early or late, this can mess with hormone production - Increase intake of zinc, magnesium, vitamin D, biotin- Make an effort to reduce the stressors in your life to a manageble level. Cortisol is the stress hormone, It wreaks havoc in your body.- Athough the research is still fuzzy, consider quitting smoking. It has been shown to reduce male fertility, though other studies dispute this. It's important to know that gyno is common within pubescent(13-25) males, and normally resolves during post-puberty. If you are perscribed a testosterone replacement therapy, or SHBG medication, research, research research before taking themGood luck.P.S if you ARE using anabolic steroids, opiates, or any other drug which has clear effects on the endocrine system, don't be stupid, stupid, and stop.

I don’t smoke, drink or do drugs. But you said it’s normally for my age. I think I have had it for almost a year, is there a chance it resolve itself at my age?
Original post by Anonymous
I don’t smoke, drink or do drugs. But you said it’s normally for my age. I think I have had it for almost a year, is there a chance it resolve itself at my age?

No. Go and see your GP.
If there were no clear causes, I would suggest visiting the G.P. Gyno can be a symptom of an underlying condition. Now is the time to learn to do a testicular exam, if you have not learned already. Otherwise, this is nothing to worry about. Your G.P will be able to accurately diagnose the problem. Good luck!

EDIT:

Yes, there is a good chance the condition will resolve itself. As you are still going through puberty, hormones will be elevated. However, as it concerns the testes, you need to visit the G.P, as a safety precation
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6
No. Go and see your GP.

But I have to pay £3500-£5000 for treatment and I can’t afford that. Will he really do anything for me, plus my GP only does phone appointments
at first and he just says call back in a week if anything is wrong.
Reply 7
If there were no clear causes, I would suggest visiting the G.P. Gyno can be a symptom of an underlying condition. Now is the time to learn to do a testicular exam, if you have not learned already. Otherwise, this is nothing to worry about. Your G.P will be able to accurately diagnose the problem. Good luck!

EDIT:

Yes, there is a good chance the condition will resolve itself. As you are still going through puberty, hormones will be elevated. However, as it concerns the testes, you need to visit the G.P, as a safety precation

My GP won’t see me, they just do phone appointment and brush it off unless it causing me pain. So I highly doubt they will see me
But I have to pay £3500-£5000 for treatment and I can’t afford that. Will he really do anything for me, plus my GP only does phone appointments

Neither I, nor anybody on this forum, are capable of accurately diagnosing your conditon. As there are several more dangerous conditions associated with gyno, I would highly suggest you visit a GP. Best case scenario, he takes some blood and says things are fine, worst case, you'll be damn glad you visited.

EDIT:

At 20, it is highly unlikely that OP is going through puberty... There are lots of serious reasons why somebody might have gynaecomastia and telling someone that it might resolve when you have no idea about the cause is not the right thing to do.
Neither I, nor anybody on this forum, are capable of accurately diagnosing your conditon. As there are several more dangerous conditions associated with gyno, I would highly suggest you visit a GP. Best case scenario, he takes some blood and says things are fine, worst case, you'll be damn glad you visited.

I didn’t realize it was this serious, but i’m also nervous of telling my parents that I have a problem which gives me man boobs because it’s embarrassing. I will try to visit my GP if he see’s me at all.

Your GP will be able to examine you and organise investigations to see what is causing the problem. There are lots of causes of gynaecomastia, and some of them are quite serious.

With regards to treatment, I am not entirely sure what the cost you are referring to is for. Do you live in the UK?
Your GP will be able to examine you and organise investigations to see what is causing the problem. There are lots of causes of gynaecomastia, and some of them are quite serious.

With regards to treatment, I am not entirely sure what the cost you are referring to is for. Do you live in the UK?

Yes the Uk, I looked on the NHS website and it says the treatment has to be done privately
I can’t it’s to expensive
At 20, it is highly unlikely that OP is going through puberty... There are lots of serious reasons why somebody might have gynaecomastia and telling someone that it might resolve when you have no idea about the cause is not the right thing to do.

Anon, please re-read the post, and the post below before criticising.
Yes the Uk, I looked on the NHS website and it says the treatment has to be done privately

It depends on what the underlying problem is. You really need to see a doctor so they can investigate you and tell you what the options are.
Getting it fixed isn't the issue atm, it's making sure it isn't a symptom of something worse. See gp
Anon, please re-read the post, and the post below before criticising.

Your post had not yet appeared when I was writing my reply, sorry
I have some body fat, I was looking how to lose i in the chest area when I found out about this. 1 side is not too bad, if I put some extra muscle on it may hide it but the other side is bigger which is the more concerning one. So i’m just hoping to try and lose some body fat and it will go away

Quick Reply

Latest