The Student Room Group

Queen Mary Uni or Surrey Uni?

Hi guys,

I got unconditional offers from both these unis for Physics. I have been to the Surrey Uni applicant day but Queen Mary Uni gave me the offer rather late so I couldn't go on an applicant day. However, I went on a campus tour there recently since I live in London.

I think you get the gist that I have no idea what to pick. On one hand, Surrey has an amazing campus, the lecturers were lovely and it has an excellent work placement scheme. However, I know that Guildford is a pretty expensive place and I am worried about not getting a good part time job to help me. Also, both of my parents work weekends and no one would be here to look after my siblings. Although they are 12 and 14, they are really immature and understandably, my parents don't want them at home by themselves.

Queen Mary Uni is a very familiar uni to me, having been there for a spring school and an open day. I also do realise that I will have plenty of job opportunities and such. I didn't get the chance to see the department building so I don't really know what the facilities look like.

I would really appreciate any help to make me come to a decision :smile:

Thank you!
Original post by DedicatedWizard
Hi guys,

I got unconditional offers from both these unis for Physics. I have been to the Surrey Uni applicant day but Queen Mary Uni gave me the offer rather late so I couldn't go on an applicant day. However, I went on a campus tour there recently since I live in London.

I think you get the gist that I have no idea what to pick. On one hand, Surrey has an amazing campus, the lecturers were lovely and it has an excellent work placement scheme. However, I know that Guildford is a pretty expensive place and I am worried about not getting a good part time job to help me. Also, both of my parents work weekends and no one would be here to look after my siblings. Although they are 12 and 14, they are really immature and understandably, my parents don't want them at home by themselves.

Queen Mary Uni is a very familiar uni to me, having been there for a spring school and an open day. I also do realise that I will have plenty of job opportunities and such. I didn't get the chance to see the department building so I don't really know what the facilities look like.

I would really appreciate any help to make me come to a decision :smile:

Thank you!

I think any decision taken, your parents will be happy. I chose to stay at London (same uni actually) because I just didn't want to take out a maintenance loan to pay for rent.

Then again, you may want to move out just to get a completely different experience but if you're going to be a studious student most of the time then it may be more beneficial to stay at home.

However, during your placement at Queen Mary you did mention that you have siblings who assumed will be distracting if you study. This might not be a great combination of you are trying to schedule your most of the time to study on the weekends.

I had a similar situation where i had to take of siblings bit taxed myself for it by staying at uni more to keep up. I had to balance this out with my part time job as well.

Relatively though, compared to working retail for Surrey or something similar in part time may not be as stressful as home babysitting.

You claim you're more at home at queen's (likewise as well) and so if I were you I would pick it.

Also what course you on by the way? I remember your name on the forums haha. I helped you out on a chemistry question you asked. Was on my other account. I believe the question was about rates of hydrolysis in the carbo halogens
For convenience and an easier life it sounds like Queen Mary's will be best.
For a slightly better uni (maybe? idk) Surrey is your choice.
But if I were in your shoes it seems like I would pick Queen Mary's.
Original post by Chemistree99
I think any decision taken, your parents will be happy. I chose to stay at London (same uni actually) because I just didn't want to take out a maintenance loan to pay for rent.

Then again, you may want to move out just to get a completely different experience but if you're going to be a studious student most of the time then it may be more beneficial to stay at home.

However, during your placement at Queen Mary you did mention that you have siblings who assumed will be distracting if you study. This might not be a great combination of you are trying to schedule your most of the time to study on the weekends.

I had a similar situation where i had to take of siblings bit taxed myself for it by staying at uni more to keep up. I had to balance this out with my part time job as well.

Relatively though, compared to working retail for Surrey or something similar in part time may not be as stressful as home babysitting.

You claim you're more at home at queen's (likewise as well) and so if I were you I would pick it.

Also what course you on by the way? I remember your name on the forums haha. I helped you out on a chemistry question you asked. Was on my other account. I believe the question was about rates of hydrolysis in the carbo halogens

Hi! Thank you for the reply!

I have thought things out for a LONG TIME and I have decided to pick Queen Mary Uni :biggrin:

I am going to be studying Physics there!

Also, it's so cool that you remember me, ngl I had to check my threads to find out what the chemistry question was since I did recall asking about something chemistry-related :smile:
That sounds great. Hope you enjoy your course as QMUL. Maybe we'll bump into each other on campus or library hahahaha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending