The Student Room Group

A Level AQA English Literature B 7717 - Elements of Crime Writing [Exam Discussion]

Poll

Which texts are you studying?

Dates
A Level: 12th June 2018 (afternoon)

Texts
When Will There Be Good News?
The Murder of Roger Ackroyd
The Rime of the Ancient Mariner
George Crabbe, Robert Browning and Oscar Wilde Poetry
Oliver Twist
Brighton Rock
Atonement
Hamlet

This thread can be used for both AS and A Level exams. The biggest difference is in the exam layout and amount of questions.:smile:

Please use the poll to select which topic you're doing, if you click here you can see who else is studying the same topic as you, @tag them in the thread and get chatting and sharing ideas.

Last year I studied Oliver Twist, Atonement and Crabbe, Browing & Wilde Poetry.:smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
@Atticus88 @chloe_grindey @Chxrlotte15 @paisley2330
Hey guys doing crime poetry,
I was wondering how many quotes are you learning for each poem?
Also if anyone has any mock questions they could share that would be great.
Original post by Lanes
@Atticus88 @chloe_grindey @Chxrlotte15 @paisley2330
Hey guys doing crime poetry,
I was wondering how many quotes are you learning for each poem?
Also if anyone has any mock questions they could share that would be great.

The exam is open book so you get the poems in the exam but I would know where to find 4-6 quotes. Exam questions are below.
‘The main focus of interest in the poems of Crabbe, Browning and Wilde is establishing sympathy for the criminal.’

To what extent do you agree with this view? Remember to include in your answer relevant detailed exploration of the poets’ authorial methods.

You should refer to ‘Peter Grimes’ and at least one other poem.

‘The main focus of interest in the poems of Crabbe, Browning and Wilde is the violence of the crimes.’

To what extent do you agree with this view? Remember to include in your answer relevant detailed exploration of the poets’ authorial methods.

You should refer to ‘Porphyria’s Lover’ and at least one other poem.

‘The main focus of interest in the poems of Crabbe, Browning and Wilde is the plotting and success of the crimes rather than the consequences.’

You should refer to ‘The Laboratory’ and at least one other poem.

‘The main focus of interest in the poems of Crabbe, Browning and Wilde is celebrating the criminal.’

You should refer to ‘My Last Duchess’ and at least one other poem.

‘The main focus of interest in the poems of Crabbe, Browning and Wilde is how crime writing can be used to comment on society’.

You should refer to ‘The Ballad of Reading Gaol’ and at least one other poem.

‘The main focus on interest in the poems of Crabbe, Browning and Wilde is how female victims are marginalised by male criminals.’

You should refer to ‘My Last Duchess’ and at least one other poem.

‘The main focus of interest in the poems of Crabbe, Browning and Wilde is the criminal’s attitude towards guilt and remorse.’

You should refer to ‘Peter Grimes’ and at least one other poem.

‘The guilty suffer more than the innocent in the poems of Crabbe, Browning and Wilde.’

To what extent do you agree with this view? Remember to include relevant detailed exploration of the poet’s authorial methods.

You must refer to Peter Grimes and at least one other poem.

‘In the poems of Crabbe, Browning and Wilde, victims are important only because they reveal the characters of the criminals.’

To what extent do you agree with this view? Remember to include relevant detailed exploration of the poet’s authorial methods.

You must refer to at least two authors.

‘The main significance of settings in the poems of Crabbe, Browning and Wilde is to reveal an extreme psychological state.’

You must refer to Porphyria’s Lover and at least one other poem.
Reply 3
Thank you!
Hey! Does anybody have/remember the questions for when will there be good news and the question that you talk about the other 2 texts?
hi, for the open book exam, what publications of the texts do they use?
Original post by georgebetsy23

This will be decided by each exam centre - typically just whatever they have in stock.
Original post by georgebetsy23

it depends on the centre, my college showed us what texts they're using which were the most popular versions out there. sucks for me though because I got mine all second-hand so page numbers are different
Reply 8
do we get the books with us aswell in the exam? i am doing when will there be good news and roger ackroyd...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending