AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 8700/1 - 05 Jun 2018 [Exam discussion]

This poll is closed

Are you ready?

Yeah! I'm gonna smash this exam! 43%
Hmm, I don't really mind getting a 5 43%
Does it look like I CARE!14%
Total votes: 271
Hi Guys!

Now I bet you all know that GCSE English language is lurking around the corner and you just can't be asked to revise because "there is nothing to revise for".

How do you guys think you'll do and do you think you've prepared enough or not at all?

VOTE IN THE POLL NOW!

:biggrin::biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
do you think your ready ??
how are you revising ?
Original post by mayu123
how are you revising ?

Tbh, I really don't know HOW to revise for english. But my teacher sends our class these resource newsletter things which kind of break down the questions in each paper so I'm just going through them.

I am predicted an 8 so I need to try and stay on track. How is your revision going?
Reply 3
i literally don't know how to revise, my teacher just gave us two booklets one for each questions and im gonna go through that
i want to get at least a 6 idk how to any tips ??
Original post by mayu123
i literally don't know how to revise, my teacher just gave us two booklets one for each questions and im gonna go through that
i want to get at least a 6 idk how to any tips ??

Hi @mayu123

The best way to revise for the english language exam is practice going over past exam questions! The questions and structure for the first few questions are always the same, so once you have a set structure down you can always use it for those questions. For the second section which is the creative writing section, I would recommend doing detailed plans or even writing out the answers and get your teacher to mark them with feedback or even find the mark scheme online to give you an idea on how you can get the tops marks. Moreover, you can also find sample answers online for previous exam paper questions which might give you some new ideas.

Hope this helps and good luck!
Habiba
Are you meant to cross out ‘sentence forms’ on question 2, paper 1? My English teacher tells
us to do it and I’m confused why🤔
Original post by jessrhobson
Are you meant to cross out ‘sentence forms’ on question 2, paper 1? My English teacher tells
us to do it and I’m confused why🤔

This is because it’s a language question and it’s best to NOT write about sentence forms cuz they mainly fit into structure... I would only write about those if they is basically NOTHING else you can possibly find in the text (kind of impossible) I personally don’t even read the bullet points and do 2/3 paragraphs on other language features
Reply 7
Original post by Habiba Chowdhury
Hi @mayu123

The best way to revise for the english language exam is practice going over past exam questions! The questions and structure for the first few questions are always the same, so once you have a set structure down you can always use it for those questions. For the second section which is the creative writing section, I would recommend doing detailed plans or even writing out the answers and get your teacher to mark them with feedback or even find the mark scheme online to give you an idea on how you can get the tops marks. Moreover, you can also find sample answers online for previous exam paper questions which might give you some new ideas.

Hope this helps and good luck!
Habiba

how am i meant to set the structure down
Original post by harmankaur17
This is because it’s a language question and it’s best to NOT write about sentence forms cuz they mainly fit into structure... I would only write about those if they is basically NOTHING else you can possibly find in the text (kind of impossible) I personally don’t even read the bullet points and do 2/3 paragraphs on other language features

Thank you!! Do you know how to get 8/8?
Thank you!! Do you know how to get 8/8?

Know the mark scheme inside out! Pick your quotes judiciously, and do multiple interpretations where possible... for my first paragraph I usually try to find a pattern/lexical set of eg. Metaphors/adjectives/verbs and analyse them according to the question. I have never got 8/8 I always get 7/8
Original post by harmankaur17
Know the mark scheme inside out! Pick your quotes judiciously, and do multiple interpretations where possible... for my first paragraph I usually try to find a pattern/lexical set of eg. Metaphors/adjectives/verbs and analyse them according to the question. I have never got 8/8 I always get 7/8

Ah thank you very much :smile:
Ah thank you very much :smile:

Anytime :smile:
Just to let you know I have added this to the exam thread directory that you can find here.

Good luck with your exams, I hope the revision is going well! :biggrin:
Scary to see (in the poll) how much people don't care or don't mind getting a 5 :s-smilie:. You really should push yourself to get the best possible grade you have the potential to get.

Just how to get full marks on each question for Lang Paper 1 resource: (a source of revision)
Original post by I/Hate/English
Scary to see (in the poll) how much people don't care or don't mind getting a 5 :s-smilie:. You really should push yourself to get the best possible grade you have the potential to get.

Just how to get full marks on each question for Lang Paper 1 resource: (a source of revision)

the thread doesnt work :smile:
Original post by zoe2002
how are you revising ?

Original post by zoe2002
how are you revising ?

My teacher gave us past/ specimen papers. But you can print some out.
Original post by I/Hate/English

There is not a option that states not going to smash it but still wants a 7 or 8.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by zoe2002
how are you revising ?

Im practically done with revision, it's just practice now. English is my weakest subject. I have recently been getting 5s and 6s (almost a 7 somehow). One of my tutors thinks I could get an 8 but that'll never happen. I'll be happy with a 5 tbh.
Original post by BenTenTacion
Im practically done with revision, it's just practice now. English is my weakest subject. I have recently been getting 5s and 6s (almost a 7 somehow). One of my tutors thinks I could get an 8 but that'll never happen. I'll be happy with a 5 tbh.

awww aim HIGHHHH
im confused with paper1 question 4 do you have to agree and disagree

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending