The Student Room Group

Help I’ve ****ed up English lit and I can’t stop thinking about it

As you can read from the title I really messed up the poem part of the English lit and it’s just annoying because in my mocks I would get 7/8 ‘s I just had a mind Blank and the maximum I will probably get is 15/30 and it’s just annoying because that was one of my best subjects and I was expecting it to be my 8 and now nfnrjejenr help and no one else I know has messed up , also the grade boundaries are going to be so high due to the poem being easy yet I still managed to **** Up 😭

Scroll to see replies

What exam board was it?
Reply 2
Aqa
Reply 3
Firstly, just because you think you messed it up doesn't necessarily mean you did. Secondly, even if you did there isn't really anything you can do about it now. If you let it worry you too much, it could affect the exams you still have left do to. The best thing you can do is focus on them. Thirdly, if this is GCSEs I wouldn't worry about your grade TOO much. Most universities don't look at GCSEs a great deal, and lots of students improve performance from GCSE to A level so it shouldn't hinder your chances at all.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Farhana001
As you can read from the title I really messed up the poem part of the English lit and it’s just annoying because in my mocks I would get 7/8 ‘s I just had a mind Blank and the maximum I will probably get is 15/30 and it’s just annoying because that was one of my best subjects and I was expecting it to be my 8 and now nfnrjejenr help and no one else I know has messed up , also the grade boundaries are going to be so high due to the poem being easy yet I still managed to **** Up 😭

I was convinced that I failed my GCSE English lit exam as I'd only answered half of the poetry paper and wrote a rushed essay about the book. I came out of the exam crying (a bit pathetic I know :tongue:) and even started apologising to my teacher and searching online to see if there was anyway that I could resit. I was completely certain that I'd got at D/E on results day but turns out I got an A* and even full UMS on the paper that I thought I'd ruined completely.

The point I'm making here is that you really don't have a clue how things have gone until you get the results back. Right now you're probably only focusing on the things that went badly instead of the things that went well. I'm 100% certain things have gone better than you think they have. Try not to worry and focus on your other exams.

Good luck :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by cafebee
I was convinced that I failed my GCSE English lit exam as I'd only answered half of the poetry paper and wrote a rushed essay about the book. I came out of the exam crying (a bit pathetic I know :tongue:) and even started apologising to my teacher and searching online to see if there was anyway that I could resit. I was completely certain that I'd got at D/E on results day but turns out I got an A* and even full UMS on the paper that I thought I'd ruined completely.

The point I'm making here is that you really don't have a clue how things have gone until you get the results back. Right now you're probably only focusing on the things that went bad instead of the things that went well. I'm 100% certain things have gone better than you think they have. Try not to worry and focus on your other exams.

i agree, last year when i did my geography gcse, i only finished one out of three papers. on the first i skipped out a lot of questions, and on the third i barely started the long 12-15 marker at the end. but i got full ums on the second, and an A* overall. u never know how u do until results day.
Reply 6
Original post by Chalee
Firstly, just because you think you messed it up doesn't necessarily mean you did. Secondly, even if you did there isn't really anything you can do about it now. If you let it worry you too much, it could affect the exams you still have left do to. The best thing you can do is focus on them. Thirdly, if this is GCSEs I wouldn't worry about your grade TOO much. Most universities don't look at GCSEs a great deal, and lots of students improve performance from GCSE to A level so it shouldn't hinder your chances at all.

Yeah you’re right I’m just going to forget about the exams I’ve done and concentrate on the ones I have left, thank you
Reply 7
Original post by cafebee

The point I'm making here is that you really don't have a clue how things have gone until you get the results back. Right now you're probably only focusing on the things that went badly instead of the things that went well. I'm 100% certain things have gone better than you think they have. Try not to worry and focus on your other exams.

Thank you for taking the time for typing this , you’re right and well done for your English lit !
Reply 8
Original post by imadogwoofwoof
i agree, last year when i did my geography gcse, i only finished one out of three papers. on the first i skipped out a lot of questions, and on the third i barely started the long 12-15 marker at the end. but i got full ums on the second, and an A* overall. u never know how u do until results day.

Thank you , and well done for your geography !
Thank you for taking the time for typing this , you’re right and well done for your English lit !

You're welcome! and thank you :smile:
OH my goodness (btw I really don't mean to detract from your personal tragedy) but I did e x a c t l y the same and I am so angry with myself and everybody afterwards was so pleased and I usually get 7/8s in English too (One of my only good ones) and I just screwed up so badly and I just don't know what to do now!
but essentially I feel ur pain :frown:

also sorry thats not v helpful but idk maybe more people messed up than u thought?
(edited 5 years ago)
Think about the other exams you have. The important thing is that it was not the English Language exam.
Original post by barnetlad
Think about the other exams you have. The important thing is that it was not the English Language exam.

Yeah I’m just going to do English language papers and hopefully that goes better
Original post by MollyAndrews
OH my goodness (btw I really don't mean to detract from your personal tragedy) but I did e x a c t l y the same and I am so angry with myself and everybody afterwards was so pleased and I usually get 7/8s in English too (One of my only good ones) and I just screwed up so badly and I just don't know what to do now!
but essentially I feel ur pain :frown:

also sorry thats not v helpful but idk maybe more people messed up than u thought?

Aha at least we’re in the same boat , let’s just think positive and hopefully we haven’t done as bad as we think we have
Aha at least we’re in the same boat , let’s just think positive and hopefully we haven’t done as bad as we think we have

Yh and thanks for starting the thread I thought it was just me
and everybody's suggestions are really helpful!

Good luck with language! <3
Original post by MollyAndrews
Yh and thanks for starting the thread I thought it was just me
and everybody's suggestions are really helpful!

Good luck with language! <3

Thank you and you to !
Farhana omg I’m in the same boat as you but I think it’ll be okay. GCSEs arent a limitation unless you let them be okay? And look, I’m sure you’ve done better than 15/30

I missed out context on my poetry and only saidnitnwas a sonnet which obvs isn’t enough and now I think I’m gonna get
32/34 Shakespeare
20/30 poetry
5/8 unseen
32/34 AIC
24/30 Jekyll

And I’m aiming for a 7 which is probably not enough so we may not do as em as we want but look attainment 8 considers our top 8 subjects so 2 of our worst ones can be discarded OKAY? IT IS OOOOKAY OKAY?
(edited 5 years ago)
lol its English literature, no employer will be like "wtf you don't know how to read a poem about flowers and knowing that it represents an earthquake in Nepal???", don't even worry bout it, concentrate on maths and ur sciences
Original post by bilalsheraz7
Farhana omg I’m in the same boat as you but I think it’ll be okay. GCSEs arent a limitation unless you let them be okay? And look, I’m sure you’ve done better than 15/30

I missed out context on my poetry and only saidnitnwas a sonnet which obvs isn’t enough and now I think I’m gonna get
32/34 Shakespeare
20/30 poetry
5/8 unseen
32/34 AIC
24/30 Jekyll

And I’m aiming for a 7 which is probably not enough so we may not do as em as we want but look attainment 8 considers our top 8 subjects so 2 of our worst ones can be discarded OKAY? IT IS OOOOKAY OKAY?

Haha you’re right it’s oKayY and could you explain attainment 8 to me ? Is this what employers would look at or universities? Because people say their colleges look at them but I’m going to a sixth form (hopefully) and they look at your individual scores
Haha you’re right it’s oKayY and could you explain attainment 8 to me ? Is this what employers would look at or universities? Because people say their colleges look at them but I’m going to a sixth form (hopefully) and they look at your individual scores

Right so your universities will look at your gcse grades I’m afraid and for most courses there are certain entry demands for example I want to study dentistry at Manchester which I need
Four grade 6s and six grade 7s.

Your colleges will however have a set entry level of attainment 8 scores. Your attainment 8 is a collection of points scored based on ur gcse scores. Maths and English language are two subjects that are double weighted in terms of points and apart from maths and English 6 of ur other top gcses r taken into account which aren’t double weighted

So in maths/English if u get an 8 or 9 for example you get 16 (8x2) point for each.

Highest score on attainment 8 is 80.

8/9 = 8 points
7 = 7 points
6 = 6 points

Etc. Etc.

Although gcse grades r important to universities, they care more about a levels and if you completely flop GCSEs and do really well on ur a levels it actually puts u at an advantage to a person who got the same grades as u at a level and amazing at gcse as you’ve shown greater sign of improvement thus a greater appreciation and dedication to your learning showing to universities that you’re a quick learner

HOWEVER! If you want to do medicine if you don’t get 6-7a* then don’t bother applying to be honest because the candidates for that are too good

I’m probably gonna get 7-8a* (or 8/9s) and I’m doing dentistry inshallah which is much easier and even I’m unsure if I’ll get a place on the course due to fierce levels of competition.

Don’t worry tho just do ur best and leave everything in Allah’s hands. How’s ramadhan going btw

Quick Reply

Latest