The Student Room Group

Psychology

So I was thinking of doing Psychology A Level. Opinions? What subjects link to it? and what other subjects do you have to be good at?
Reply 1
Original post by A.Montgomery
So I was thinking of doing Psychology A Level. Opinions? What subjects link to it? and what other subjects do you have to be good at?

Done it since GCSE and am still in love with it. You need maths (for averages, mean, median mode etc.) and English (there is a lot to write)
Original post by Bham369
Done it since GCSE and am still in love with it. You need maths (for averages, mean, median mode etc.) and English (there is a lot to write)

My school didn't have it for GCSE, those subjects are fine thankss
Reply 3
My school didn't have it for GCSE, those subjects are fine thankss

Not many places do have it for GCSE, My school was an exception and it was only because we had 2 trained psych teachers...
Large section is research methods i.e statistics but this is basic maths at most

The rest is a lot of evaluating studies etc and remembering studies and theories
Reply 5
I had the worst experience ever and hated it so dropped it at AS. It's just a memory game and more about the social aspects of things than science which I hated.
Original post by sanaa17
I had the worst experience ever and hated it so dropped it at AS. It's just a memory game and more about the social aspects of things than science which I hated.

theres alot of mixed reviews on psychology haha Ill just have to see what I think
Psychology is one of my fav atm - glad I chose it.

The topics interests me as it is applicable to daily life. Some AS topics include: memory, attachment, research methods, approaches, social influence and psychopathology (phobia, depression and OCD).

Psychology includes basic maths like mean, mode, median and range. It also includes some science knowledge like the endocrine system, nervous system, glands, structure of neutron, brain and synaptic transmission.

Maybe look at spec to get a rough idea on the content and then take it from there.

Would totally recommend it! Feel free to ask any questions!

Original post by Elite360
Psychology is one of my fav atm - glad I chose it.

The topics interests me as it is applicable to daily life. Some AS topics include: memory, attachment, research methods, approaches, social influence and psychopathology (phobia, depression and OCD).

Psychology includes basic maths like mean, mode, median and range. It also includes some science knowledge like the endocrine system, nervous system, glands, structure of neutron, brain and synaptic transmission.

Maybe look at spec to get a rough idea on the content and then take it from there.

Would totally recommend it! Feel free to ask any questions!

It sounds really interesting!! I would love to learn about those things. I feel like i'll defo choose psychology. What other subjects did you study? & how did you find the exam papers?
It sounds really interesting!! I would love to learn about those things. I feel like i'll defo choose psychology. What other subjects did you study? & how did you find the exam papers?

A2 topics gets more interesting, depending on the exam board that your school intends to follow. Topics include forensic psychology, Schizophrenia, relationship, issues and debates. The only subject I’m actually looking forward to next year. The content is beyond interesting and applicable to daily life.

I’ve done my AS exams for psychology, the exams consist of predominantly written questions. A mixture of application question (where you apply your knowledge to a scenario), extended questions, short questions and mathematics questions. The exam paper is defo good!

I also study Mathematics, sociology and politics!

But defo give psychology a chance,

Good Luck!
Original post by Elite360
A2 topics gets more interesting, depending on the exam board that your school intends to follow. Topics include forensic psychology, Schizophrenia, relationship, issues and debates. The only subject I’m actually looking forward to next year. The content is beyond interesting and applicable to daily life.

I’ve done my AS exams for psychology, the exams consist of predominantly written questions. A mixture of application question (where you apply your knowledge to a scenario), extended questions, short questions and mathematics questions. The exam paper is defo good!

I also study Mathematics, sociology and politics!

But defo give psychology a chance,

Good Luck!

It sounds really interesting I'm defo going to give it a go!

Now I just need to do decide on the other subjects I want to study haha.

Thank you & for all the info!
It sounds really interesting I'm defo going to give it a go!

Now I just need to do decide on the other subjects I want to study haha.

Thank you & for all the info!

Are you interested in doing it as a degree? :h:
Original post by Elastichedgehog
Are you interested in doing it as a degree? :h:

I'm not really sure I was planning to study in the medicine sector however, if I feel like psychology went really well then possibly

Quick Reply

Latest