The Student Room Group

[Exam Jam] What English Revision are you doing at the moment?

TSR is doing Exam Jam all half term, and today's focus is on English.

This includes English Language, and English Literature, and both GCSE and A Level.

Key Dates
5th June - GCSE Language (AQA, OCR, Edexcel)

6th June - A Level Language (AQA, OCR) and A Level Language&Literature (OCR, Edexcel)

7th June - A Level Literature (AQA, OCR, Edexcel) and A Level Language&Literature (AQA)

8th June - GCSE Language (AQA, OCR, Edexcel); A Level Language (AQA, OCR) and A Level Language&Literature (OCR, Edexcel)

11th June - A Level Language (Edexcel)

12th June - A Level Literature (AQA, OCR, Edexcel) and A Level Language&Literature (AQA)

15th June - A Level Literature (Edexcel)

What have you been revising for?

How are you finding it?

What particularly are you struggling with?

Other things in Exam Jam can be found here...
Monday
Biology All Day Revision Thread
Biology Strengths and Worries
Tuesday

Other things that may help you with English revision can be found below...
How to Write an English Essay
Essential Literary Techniques Glossary
How to write a Level 5 A-level Poetry Essay
How to Tackle Shakespeare Guide
Books to compare for coursework/comparative essays
AQA GCSE Power and Conflict Revision Guide
AQA GCSE Unseen Poetry Guide
A little guide to metre in poetry
Guidance with the new GCSE English spec
GCSE lang creative writing examples
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Wow, this brings bad old memories. I studied Gothic Literature (Dracula and the Woman in Black) and King Lear...

These are the 2017 past papers - that was my exam revision strategy, keep writing answers and bullet pointing relevant quotes for each theme and topic to make sure I'd pretty much responded to everything they could ever ask.

OCR A-level English Lit
http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/471605-question-paper-comparative-and-contextual-study.pdf
http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/471604-question-paper-drama-and-poetry-pre-1900.pdf
(edited 5 years ago)
And you can now play along in the English Quotes revision thread - especially useful if you're worried about any unseen elements of your exam.:smile:
I love English lit but English language is one of my worst subjects :sadnod:
I think I might do a character mindmap for Inspector Google (from AIC) today and refresh my memory of the paper 1 and 2 language questions :smile:
Original post by laurawatt
I love English lit but English language is one of my worst subjects :sadnod:
I think I might do a character mindmap for Inspector Google (from AIC) today and refresh my memory of the paper 1 and 2 language questions :smile:

That sounds good. It's not easy revising subjects that you don't feel are your best so go you!

How long are you planning to revise English Lang for?
Original post by She-Ra
That sounds good. It's not easy revising subjects that you don't feel are your best so go you!

How long are you planning to revise English Lang for?

I don’t know yet, planning on doing that in the afternoon. I’ve been given the momentous task of tidying my bedroom so :afraid: that could take some time... :wink:

I’ll keep you updated!
I don’t know yet, planning on doing that in the afternoon. I’ve been given the momentous task of tidying my bedroom so :afraid: that could take some time... :wink:

I’ll keep you updated!

I see, hear and feel a lengthy amount procrastination coming on :wink:

:moon:
Reply 7
Okay, so I'm revising for AQA A-Level A English Lit: Love through the Ages & WW1

I have definitely underestimated how hard it is. I've made quote banks for all of my texts, but still need to annotate a few of them. I've also sorted out all of my poems from my two anthologies, re-annotated all of them (much more neatly) and added contextual, wider reading and critical links. I now just need to make sure I've got all of my links between texts for my comparison essays.

The aim now is to learn quotes (especially for Othello, which is my only closed book question - which I keep forgetting is a necessity), make a ton of essay plans to calm my nerves a bit, write some timed essays (honestly the A-Level essay timings are mad), create some revision resources I can stick up around my room and analyse some more unseen material.

I need to get an A* in this subject, and it's the one I'm going on to study at uni, so I'm very nervous! I have a good natural ability, and I love English Lit so much, but the exam and the timed conditions and the fear of blanking is creeping up on me.
Original post by She-Ra
I see, hear and feel a lengthy amount procrastination coming on :wink:

:moon:

No... for once that is not the case!
I’ve been working almost solidly on cleaning a section of my room and I’ve just finished. I didn’t realise I had so many pieces of paper!
At this rate it will take me about 6 hours :facepalm: why can’t I be one of those cleaning fanatics?!
One would think that having owned so many books (these are just from by bedroom btw) that I would be quite the English language whizz, but alas... I’m not :emo:
image.jpg
Original post by lowza
Okay, so I'm revising for AQA A-Level A English Lit: Love through the Ages & WW1

I have definitely underestimated how hard it is. I've made quote banks for all of my texts, but still need to annotate a few of them. I've also sorted out all of my poems from my two anthologies, re-annotated all of them (much more neatly) and added contextual, wider reading and critical links. I now just need to make sure I've got all of my links between texts for my comparison essays.

The aim now is to learn quotes (especially for Othello, which is my only closed book question - which I keep forgetting is a necessity), make a ton of essay plans to calm my nerves a bit, write some timed essays (honestly the A-Level essay timings are mad), create some revision resources I can stick up around my room and analyse some more unseen material.

I need to get an A* in this subject, and it's the one I'm going on to study at uni, so I'm very nervous! I have a good natural ability, and I love English Lit so much, but the exam and the timed conditions and the fear of blanking is creeping up on me.

Your plan sounds absolutely incredible - you're in control of this.

For Othello look through all the past papers and pull together the main themes, then put a quote list together for each theme. When I did A-level Eng Lit all my exams were closed book. If I can do it so can you. Just keep writing and re-writing them down.

Essay plans sound fab and once you have those nailed move on to those timed essays when you feel ready.

I know it's hard not to feel the pressure but try not to think about uni right now - just control the controllables - your revision and your plan.

Also, I played Othello in my final A-level Drama exam so happy to help where I can. In this thread we're analyzing quotes and talking them through https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5396136
(edited 5 years ago)
No... for once that is not the case!
:facepalm: why can’t I be one of those cleaning fanatics?!

I feel you! I wish this was me too!
Idk how to revise English language
Original post by imdaGOAT
Idk how to revise English language

What have you done so far?

Has your teacher given you any tips? Are you GCSE or A-level?
Original post by lowza

I did Othello last year! Essays plans are a great way to revise.:yep:
English is definitely the one I struggle with most, so thanks for this!
Gonna do an hour of measure for measure now and then do an hour unseen response after
Original post by rockboy421
English is definitely the one I struggle with most, so thanks for this!
Gonna do an hour of measure for measure now and then do an hour unseen response after
Make sure you take a revision break!:biggrin:
Reply 17
Original post by She-Ra
Your plan sounds absolutely incredible - you're in control of this.

For Othello look through all the past papers and pull together the main themes, then put a quote list together for each theme. When I did A-level Eng Lit all my exams were closed book. If I can do it so can you. Just keep writing and re-writing them down.

Essay plans sound fab and once you have those nailed move on to those timed essays when you feel ready.

I know it's hard not to feel the pressure but try not to think about uni right now - just control the controllables - your revision and your plan.

Also, I played Othello in my final A-level Drama exam so happy to help where I can. In this thread we're analyzing quotes and talking them through https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5396136

Thank you so much - you're super kind X
Reply 18
Original post by 04MR17
I did Othello last year! Essays plans are a great way to revise.:yep:

Yeah - it's just a pity there aren't more past papers! Doing a new spec is so frustrating.
Original post by lowza
Yeah - it's just a pity there aren't more past papers! Doing a new spec is so frustrating.
Try being the first ever.:frown: There are enough made up questions floating around to give yourself a good practice though.:yes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending