The Student Room Group

Is JPEG flippin Lossy or Lossless?

Online says it's lossy, online also says it's lossless! Which is it?
Generally is Lossy but there are exceptions that it has Lossless features but it is not supported by most products.
Original post by Corey Fretwell
Online says it's lossy, online also says it's lossless! Which is it?

In context of exams (or at least all the ones I've taken) you can think of it as a lossy compression file format.

However this isn't strictly true, JPEG is not actually a file format, but rather a compression method which is stored using EXIF or JFIF file formats (usually, there are other ones but they aren't often used). The compression method is mainly defined for lossy compression, but the standard it is defined by does allow for lossless compression, however as far a I know, it is hardly used and is often not supported by software.

So if you want to know this information for exams read only my first paragraph, if you want to know for fun or more technical reason read my second paragraph
Original post by LonelyStarr
Generally is Lossy but there are exceptions that it has Lossless features but it is not supported by most products.

Okay thanks!
Original post by Faction Paradox
In context of exams (or at least all the ones I've taken) you can think of it as a lossy compression file format.

However this isn't strictly true, JPEG is not actually a file format, but rather a compression method which is stored using EXIF or JFIF file formats (usually, there are other ones but they aren't often used). The compression method is mainly defined for lossy compression, but the standard it is defined by does allow for lossless compression, however as far a I know, it is hardly used and is often not supported by software.

So if you want to know this information for exams read only my first paragraph, if you want to know for fun or more technical reason read my second paragraph

Ah I see, interesting 🤔
Original post by Corey Fretwell
Ah I see, interesting 🤔

The way JPEG compression works is something that it really quite interesting and not what you'd necessarily expect. It's something that you might find quite interesting to look into at some point

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending