The Student Room Group

how many modules does the new spec of maths a-level have

I am homeschooling and I am wanting to get textbooks for the new spec , so how many modules does the new spec have (in a-level mathematics). Does the a-level maths include statistics 3 or is just S1 and S2. Confused please help.
Board?
Original post by _.7amda
I am homeschooling and I am wanting to get textbooks for the new spec , so how many modules does the new spec have (in a-level mathematics). Does the a-level maths include statistics 3 or is just S1 and S2. Confused please help.

There are no modules at all now - check the specification on the Edexcel website.
Reply 3
Original post by Muttley79
There are no modules at all now - check the specification on the Edexcel website.

oh! I see, what Maths textbook (Edexcel) is recommended to help me through the syllabus since I am self-teaching. A books that includes everything.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by thotproduct
Board?

Edexcel
Original post by _.7amda
Edexcel

You don't do specific modules in A Level Maths on edexcel. It's just Pure Year 1 and Year 2, and Stats and Mechanics Year 1 and Year 2. You might have gotten it confused with the old system. Pure Year 1 will have topics typically seen in the OLD C1 and C2 units, and Pure Year 2 has content mostly recycled from the OLD C3 and C4 units.

Stats/Mechanics Year 1 and 2 takes inspiration from OLD units S1/S2 and M1/M2
Reply 6
Original post by _.7amda
Edexcel

The Pearson first year text books are spilt into one for pure maths, one for statistics and mechanics, and the same for the second year, so four books in all. Some other publishers fit all of the pure, stats and mechanics into one book, but again, there is one for the first year and one for the second.
Original post by _.7amda
oh! I see, what Maths textbook (Edexcel) is recommended to help me through the syllabus since I am self-teaching. A books that includes everything.

Try reading here:
https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-a-levels/mathematics-2017.html
Reply 8
Original post by Pangol
The Pearson first year text books are spilt into one for pure maths, one for statistics and mechanics, and the same for the second year, so four books in all. Some other publishers fit all of the pure, stats and mechanics into one book, but again, there is one for the first year and one for the second.

can you send me links of textbooks that I can buy. If you know any
As above, the new course should correlate to C1-4, some of M1 and M2, some of S1, and I think one or two topics from FP1 have made their way into the core course (?)

The Further Maths Support Group, despite the name, have a variety of resources for both Maths and Further Maths, and in particular have a set of webpages specifically outlining the content of the new A-levels and how they compare to the old ones.
Reply 10
Original post by thotproduct
You don't do specific modules in A Level Maths on edexcel. It's just Pure Year 1 and Year 2, and Stats and Mechanics Year 1 and Year 2. You might have gotten it confused with the old system. Pure Year 1 will have topics typically seen in the OLD C1 and C2 units, and Pure Year 2 has content mostly recycled from the OLD C3 and C4 units.

Stats/Mechanics Year 1 and 2 takes inspiration from OLD units S1/S2 and M1/M2

what books do you recommend?
Original post by _.7amda
what books do you recommend?

I'll be interested to see what other people think, but here's what I reckon:

Pearson - a good progression, from the basics, but I don't think they go far enough or ask enough challenging questions for the highest grades. Almost certainly best for self-teaching, but you'll probably need support from elsewhere. There's a lot of that online though.

Oxford - some of the Problem Solving exercises are good, very good even, and do a good job of extending the material from the Pearson books. But over all I think this is a truly awful book. About 10% (maybe less) is really useful. The rest is dreadful. Special mention to the Differentiation chapter: I had no idea it was possible to write about maths that badly.

YMMV

So, use Pearson to learn from, supplement that with online material, and even old spec past papers - eg M1 seems to overlap quite a lot with the new Mechanics spec.

Everyone's learning as they go along, over time I'd imagine a consensus is emerging/will emerge about resources. Keep looking. Keep asking questions.

Quick Reply

Latest