The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Accommodation for Postgrad!?

So I have been accepted into MSc Financial and Computational Mathematics offered by the Math School - University Park Campus.

I'd prefer accommodation which is quiet and also close to the math school.

If anyone could rank the halls in terms of quietness and proximity i'd be very grateful.

Thanks!
Reply 1
Unfortunately quietness is really quite dependant on who you end up living near as the undergrad accommodation system doesn't give students choices about what halls they end up in so the environment changes a lot each year but in terms of the distance from closest to furthest away it goes approximately like this:

1) Hugh Stewart / Cripps
2) Lenton & Wortley
3) Lincoln
4) Derby
5) Sherwood / Rutland
6) Florence Boot
7) Willoughby / Cavendish / Ancaster and Nightingale

But even from the furthest accommodation your walk should take no longer than 15 mins each way. If you do get Hugh Stewart / Cripps you're talking about a sub 5 minute walk!
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by Azza124
Unfortunately quietness is really quite dependant on who you end up living near as the undergrad accommodation system doesn't give students choices about what halls they end up in so the environment changes a lot each year but in terms of the distance from closest to furthest away it goes approximately like this:

1) Hugh Stewart / Cripps
2) Lenton & Wortley
3) Lincoln
4) Derby
5) Sherwood / Rutland
6) Florence Boot
7) Willoughby / Cavendish / Ancaster and Nightingale

But even from the furthest accommodation your walk should take no longer than 15 mins each way. If you do get Hugh Stewart / Cripps you're talking about a sub 5 minute walk!

Bro thank u so much for taking the time out to write such a lengthy response but postgrads don't have any of those options...

I did some research but still to decide between broadgate, raleigh, melton, cloisters, and st peters court. So if you could review some of these that would be great!
Reply 3
Original post by francisneumann
Bro thank u so much for taking the time out to write such a lengthy response but postgrads don't have any of those options...

I did some research but still to decide between broadgate, raleigh, melton, cloisters, and st peters court. So if you could review some of these that would be great!

Yeah sure! So I’m currently living in Raleigh Park and it’s not so bad here, it’s like a 15-20 minute to walk onto campus but there is also a free hopper bus where the stop is 5 minutes away and you can take that if you are feeling a little slow!

Broadgate is further away from the main city but probably only a 10 minute walk from maths. But you are still near a town centre for any shopping needs you may have!

St. Peter’s court is kind of just an additional 5 min walk extra that you’ll have from Raleigh park but there is also a free hopper bus from St. Peter’s onto campus on weekdays.

Melton hall is on Jubilee campus which is not where the maths department is but if you really liked this place there is the aforementioned hopper bus you can still take or a 15 minute walk!

Cloister house I know is exclusively postgraduate accommodation so you can expect that one to be on the quieter side compared to the others as many of those will have undergrads running some parts or another! In terms of distance from the maths department it’s probably a comparable 10 minute walk to Broadgate Park but the accommodation isn’t located in a place that is quite as convenient for shopping!

I hope that helps!
Original post by Azza124
Yeah sure! So I’m currently living in Raleigh Park and it’s not so bad here, it’s like a 15-20 minute to walk onto campus but there is also a free hopper bus where the stop is 5 minutes away and you can take that if you are feeling a little slow!

Broadgate is further away from the main city but probably only a 10 minute walk from maths. But you are still near a town centre for any shopping needs you may have!

St. Peter’s court is kind of just an additional 5 min walk extra that you’ll have from Raleigh park but there is also a free hopper bus from St. Peter’s onto campus on weekdays.

Melton hall is on Jubilee campus which is not where the maths department is but if you really liked this place there is the aforementioned hopper bus you can still take or a 15 minute walk!

Cloister house I know is exclusively postgraduate accommodation so you can expect that one to be on the quieter side compared to the others as many of those will have undergrads running some parts or another! In terms of distance from the maths department it’s probably a comparable 10 minute walk to Broadgate Park but the accommodation isn’t located in a place that is quite as convenient for shopping!

I hope that helps!

Thanks mate! Appreciate it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending