The Student Room Group

Help please! UK student wanting to study in France

Scroll to see replies

Original post by my.med.journey
I have a European one
Do you know much about the DAP form?

Yeah a european passport is still complicated though... You can't use the traditional french version of UCAS, you have to contact the universities individually if i remember well.
I've never heard of that form, I have a French passport so it probably doesn't apply to me :/

Which universities were you thinking of? and what's your french level like btw?
Original post by arigziegler
Yeah a european passport is still complicated though... You can't use the traditional french version of UCAS, you have to contact the universities individually if i remember well.
I've never heard of that form, I have a French passport so it probably doesn't apply to me :/

Which universities were you thinking of? and what's your french level like btw?

PMd you with a bit more info!
Hey, have any of you guys applied for medicine in France ?
Original post by Nattyxoox
Hey, have any of you guys applied for medicine in France ?

Indeed got the replies yesterday.
Which University did you pick?
(edited 5 years ago)
Which University did you pick?

I've received a few offers (Paris, Nantes, Grenoble, Rennes, Lille...). I have until the 01/06 to make a final decision but i've already rejected a few already. I'm at the top of a waiting list for one I quite want (Nice) so I think I'll wait until the first to see if I make it off the waiting list.
That’s great I received an offer from Rouen, Reims, Caen , Lille, Amiens. Do you live in France ? X
That’s great I received an offer from Rouen, Reims, Caen , Lille, Amiens. Do you live in France ? X

Nah i live in the UK but I'm french :biggrin:
Still not sure whether I'm going to go to France or not. It's my second back up plan.

Which one of these did you pick in the end? I also got an offer from Caen but rejected it... It is a nice city though (Better than Amiens or Reims :u:)
I picked Reims , as I wanted to be close to Paris. Nice is beautiful though!!

Yes same it’s my second back up plan too. First year is tragic 🔫
I picked Reims , as I wanted to be close to Paris. Nice is beautiful though!!

Yes same it’s my second back up plan too. First year is tragic 🔫

Ah yeah opposite of me :P The Cathédrale de Reims is nice though! I want to be as far from Paris as possible I only applied there to please my parents and was actually shocked I got an offer.
I'm a Parisian but damn living there is such a pain, I get fed up after a month of vacation.
If I don't get Nice, Nantes is my back up plan. Both are pretty well ranked at the ECN, that's why I picked them, but yes the PACES... I mean I've done over half of it during my degree but have not touched physics for years :s-smilie:
Reply 30
Nah i live in the UK but I'm french :biggrin:
Still not sure whether I'm going to go to France or not. It's my second back up plan.

Which one of these did you pick in the end? I also got an offer from Caen but rejected it... It is a nice city though (Better than Amiens or Reims :u:)

Hey I'm french too how did you apply to the unis? im applying this year but have no idea where to start
Original post by Gwendo
Hey I'm french too how did you apply to the unis? im applying this year but have no idea where to start

French unis or UK ones?
Cause for this september entry it’s too late i’m afraid
Reply 32
French unis or UK ones?
Cause for this september entry it’s too late i’m afraid

To apply to french unis and yes I know it's too late but I'm taking a gap year to travel
Original post by Gwendo
To apply to french unis and yes I know it's too late but I'm taking a gap year to travel

You use the platform ‘parcoursup’ it’s basically the french version of UCAS. And then the universities have to accept you on the course depending on your grades.
Reply 34
Original post by Gwendo
You can also apply for deferred entry to some courses through clearing. Hope you have a great time travelling!
Reply 35
IS It possible to take paces more than twice as u mentioned?
Reply 36
Original post by Socrates7
It's a good idea to apply to UCAS in the UK, it's better to choose between many offers rather than not having any.
In France, courses start at the end of September, but you normally have offers from February to June if you apply as a foreign student through Campus France. There is a Campus France office in London if you want to have more information:
Institut français du Royaume-UniMédiathèque17 Queensberry PlaceLondonUnited KingdomTelephone: + 44 (0)20 7871 3515Fax: + 44 (0)20 7871 3519Email: [email protected]

There are several summer schools if you are interested. But honestly, it's a good idea to spend a year studying French while preparing for the PACES exam. Don't worry about being older than your classmates, many of them are actually repeating the PACES year because they've failed the exams once or twice, some of them also take gap years to work or travel around the world.

And for your final question: no, I don't study medicine, but I'm a foreign student at a Grande école and I have study at a university as well (Sorbonne), so I know the system pretty well.

IS it possible to take paces more than Twice as you mentioned?
Reply 37
Original post by Rits21
But you should be aware that even tho there’s no selection at first, PACES is really really hard and only 13 to 30% of the students (depending ok the universities) succeed and go on the second year. It’s even more competitive in Paris because there are too many students and not everyone gets a place. Besides there are quotas for non-French students. You should be really motivated and determined if you want to study medicine in Paris because it’s hard, some people retake the PACES 3 times (so three whole years) before getting it, or not. Students who go study medicine in France from my countries usually go to smaller cities like Lyon, Lille, Saint-Etienne, Amiens or Besançon to increase their chances. So think about it! Bonne chance ☺️

So do you know if it’s possible for a foreigner to take paces more than 2 times?
Original post by KXMIah
IS It possible to take paces more than twice as u mentioned?

Not unless you have a very valid reason (extenuating circumstance). Actually some French unis have stopped allowing it to be done twice as it is, so you only have one shot now in all the Parisian unis, one in Lille and others maybe I can't remember.
The plan is that in the coming years all French medical schools will stop allowing the "redoublement" and you'll only be allowing one year of PACES.
hey, how do you actually apply? I've looked everywhere aha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending