The Student Room Group

Is it possible to make good money with biomedical science degree?

Hi, I am currently doing a biomedical science degree in Coventry Uni since I failed my A-level and the grades were ABD(I was planning to do medicine). I feel a little bit regreted getting in this degree after I finished my first year(I have just finished it). I find out the prospects of this degree isn't as good as I think. I wish to make enough money in order to make up the cost of studying as international student. I am wondering can I earn more than 60k pounds per year after I graduate with some experience like 1-2years. Or is there a better chioce than this?

Thank you
If you're in science for the money then you've made a mistake.
Reply 2
Original post by RegisteredBMS
If you're in science for the money then you've made a mistake.

why?
Original post by YasudaSayo
why?

Because the money isn't great. Even worse when you look at the money:effort ratio.
apply for GEM after or transfers within uni.
Most people in science work their behind off for average money. They do this for their love of what they're doing, whether that be learning, researching, helping patients or whatever.
Reply 6
Most people in science work their behind off for average money. They do this for their love of what they're doing, whether that be learning, researching, helping patients or whatever.

oh i thought science was one of the best things to go into lol. what are the best fields then? for someone who wants to earn a decent amount of money for not too much effort/stress
A doctor doesn't make 60k during FY2 (2nd year after graduating) let alone a biomed graduate, are you high babe
oh i thought science was one of the best things to go into lol. what are the best fields then? for someone who wants to earn a decent amount of money for not too much effort/stress

Its one of the best things to go into if you want to work in a aspect of science

Pretty much every well paid career requires lots of effort and/or has lots of stress, thats partly why they are well paid. I can't think of any low effort careers that pay well (what do you define as paying well?)
Personally I think you need to lower your expectations.
60k is quite a high income as it is, and a lot of people won't reach that salary.
Maybe in 20 years due to wage inflation you might reach it tho.
The factors are not in your favour so far though a) biomedical degree and b) Coventry uni
Reply 10
Original post by madmadmax321
Its one of the best things to go into if you want to work in a aspect of science

Pretty much every well paid career requires lots of effort and/or has lots of stress, thats partly why they are well paid. I can't think of any low effort careers that pay well (what do you define as paying well?)

no no i dont want something that pays 'well', i want something decent so like 20-30k? and like minimum effort n stress
(edited 5 years ago)
no no i dont want something that pays 'well', i want something decent so like 20-30k? and like minimum effort n stress

You could take that attitude into a £15k job and you'd still get found out. It's a lazy attitude. You want somebody to pay you to sit on your arse all week. A job isn't benefits.
You could take that attitude into a £15k job and you'd still get found out. It's a lazy attitude. You want somebody to pay you to sit on your arse all week. A job isn't benefits.

It's the attitude of someone who favours their stress and effort over money. Wanting a low effort job doesn't mean they'll not do anything. Obviously they need to meet the requirements of the role, they're simply asking for roles with low stress/effort expectations.
Original post by Student-95
It's the attitude of someone who favours their stress and effort over money. Wanting a low effort job doesn't mean they'll not do anything. Obviously they need to meet the requirements of the role, they're simply asking for roles with low stress/effort expectations.

I've met a lot of people who want low effort jobs and reasonable pay. Pay usually correlates with effort. Stress comes down to you personally. I know people in the same job role that have high stress levels and some low.

Jobs where the pay does not correlate with effort and responsibility are like gold dust. If you can find one fair enough.
I've met a lot of people who want low effort jobs and reasonable pay. Pay usually correlates with effort. Stress comes down to you personally. I know people in the same job role that have high stress levels and some low.

Jobs where the pay does not correlate with effort and responsibility are like gold dust. If you can find one fair enough.

They're not really asking for both though. You can find a lax job that pays £20-30k without too much trouble.
Haha no, please don’t become a biomedical scientist we don’t need that sort of lazy attitude

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending