The Student Room Group

AQA A Level Geography

How are people revising geography, its new spec there aren't many past papers I can use apart from coasts and so much to remember

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Honestly, i think everyone's finding a nightmare
I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing. I'm making flash cards for the thousand case studies I'm not going to use and praying I somehow absorb the theory too. No past papers, so I'm trying to do ZigZag papers but the wording of questions is just different enough to throw me off. I really hope the grade boundaries are low.
Reply 3
Original post by baranduin
I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing. I'm making flash cards for the thousand case studies I'm not going to use and praying I somehow absorb the theory too. No past papers, so I'm trying to do ZigZag papers but the wording of questions is just different enough to throw me off. I really hope the grade boundaries are low.

Do you have to pay for ZigZag Papers?
Reply 4
How does everyone structure their 20 mark questions- like how many points do you make? E.g. if it was a question on a hazard- would you advise splitting it up using social, economic, environmental and Political points and the use supporting case studies?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5

Original post by Glee2608

Yeah, my school paid for them for us though.
Reply 7
Yeah, my school paid for them for us though.

Ahh that's annoying,i will see what i can find
Reply 8
any chance you could send them over to me?
Original post by blumenow
any chance you could send them over to me?

Sorry, I haven't got a digital copy.
Reply 10
With Statistics e.g. Chi-squared (6 markers), do we need to use our own knowledge when interpreting the calculation and explaining it or just what the calculation shows. E.g. if it’s not a null hypothesis, do I literally just write that?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by vik_k1
With Statistics e.g. Chi-squared (6 markers), do we need to use our own knowledge when interpreting the calculation and explaining it or just what the calculation shows. E.g. if it’s not a null hypothesis, do I literally just write that?

There's one in the specimen papers, I believe you just explain the outcome e.g. reject the null hypothesis and what you see.
Reply 12
There's one in the specimen papers, I believe you just explain the outcome e.g. reject the null hypothesis and what you see.

Thank you! I’ve literally just had a look at specimen paper and their mark scheme and it makes sense! I thought there’d be more to it like explaining the reasoning etc.
Reply 13
Honestly, i think everyone's finding a nightmare

true
Does anyone know if there will be an AO3 analyse 6/9 marker for all of the 6 topics? Seems to be that way in the specimen paper.
Reply 15
Original post by alevels1234
Does anyone know if there will be an AO3 analyse 6/9 marker for all of the 6 topics? Seems to be that way in the specimen paper.

In sections A & B, there are two six markers (one requiring just the use of the figure whilst the other requires your own knowledge). In section C (Hazards, Population etc), there will be 1 six marker on using figure but not own knowledge and then 2 nine markers that kind of replace the A03/use your own knowledge six marker. Hope this helps.
Original post by vik_k1
In sections A & B, there are two six markers (one requiring just the use of the figure whilst the other requires your own knowledge). In section C (Hazards, Population etc), there will be 1 six marker on using figure but not own knowledge and then 2 nine markers that kind of replace the A03/use your own knowledge six marker. Hope this helps.

Okay thanks that helps
Original post by vik_k1

Do you think I'm better off revising all the case study material in great detail for Section C questions rather than theory aswell?
Reply 18
Original post by ligays99999
Do you think I'm better off revising all the case study material in great detail for Section C questions rather than theory aswell?

It depends- I’m doing Hazards and population for section c, so I know that I need to revise all case studies because there are a lot! Like there’s 2 per each hazard! Obviously, theory is useful but an advantage is that the 4 marker is replaced with 4 multiple choice questions. As long as you then know what each concept is and then you can drop them in the 20 marker because you obviously don’t have to go in detail. You will need case studies for the 2 nine markers and 20 marker. Having said that, it obviously depends on the context of the question because I remember a question in the specimen paper as 20 marker on explaining tectonic theory for volcanic activity- this requires theory applied to case studies. Make sure your comfortable with both.
(edited 5 years ago)
How hard is Geography? I'm doing it in September for A-Level. For GCSE, it isn't really hard but there is a lot to learn, especially case studies.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending