The Student Room Group

Edexcel Maths 2018 Revision Help

Feel like i don't know anything in maths. Paper 1 went okay, think i got somewhere from 35 - 40 but everyone in school said it was easy. I need a 6 for college, best way to revise with a week till paper 2? Really nervous and anxious, i usually dont get stressed this much.

Scroll to see replies

For maths, exam questions. Over and over and over and over.
If you want a 6, make sure you can comfortably get full marks on the first 12-15 questions in a test.
Master some easier topics.
Practice practice practice.

You got this :smile:
Original post by 3pointonefour
For maths, exam questions. Over and over and over and over.
If you want a 6, make sure you can comfortably get full marks on the first 12-15 questions in a test.
Master some easier topics.
Practice practice practice.

You got this :smile:

Thanks, as long as I get a 6 i'll be happy, you give me hope.
Original post by BigBoysUnited
Thanks, as long as I get a 6 i'll be happy, you give me hope.

No problem :smile:
I have been revising but still don’t know anything. I also need to get 6 or at least a 5
Original post by leobarry
I have been revising but still don’t know anything. I also need to get 6 or at least a 5

Try to find your own way. I've heard people like to use mathswatch and seneca for videos. The important thing is drilling a topic in your head for as long as you need to master it. That's how it works in maths. I once didn't know what vectors were - so I worked on a bunch of past paper questions and topic tests and mastered it in one day. If you have the determination, just focus on the first 10-15 questions for full marks and a 5/6 should be guaranteed.
Reply 6
Try to find your own way. I've heard people like to use mathswatch and seneca for videos. The important thing is drilling a topic in your head for as long as you need to master it. That's how it works in maths. I once didn't know what vectors were - so I worked on a bunch of past paper questions and topic tests and mastered it in one day. If you have the determination, just focus on the first 10-15 questions for full marks and a 5/6 should be guaranteed.

How about English
Original post by Skkkk
How about English

The way I revised for English lit is reread the texts, make sure you thoroughly understand what's going on (that goes for poetry too) and learn what you should add in your question. For example, my 30 mark questions needed 40% AO1 (showing I knew the text), 40% AO2 (analysis), and 20% AO3 (context). This gives you an idea of what your essay should actually consist off. After you know your AO1, plan some essays by writing quotes and finding whatever device or analysis you can. Then, learn some context for everything related to a text. And make that context relevant to the question you're answering.

For English language, I'd recommend similar things with knowing your AOs and performing analysis. To prepare for the creative writing learn about structural techniques, and just read books and newspapers in general.
Reply 8
The way I revised for English lit is reread the texts, make sure you thoroughly understand what's going on (that goes for poetry too) and learn what you should add in your question. For example, my 30 mark questions needed 40% AO1 (showing I knew the text), 40% AO2 (analysis), and 20% AO3 (context). This gives you an idea of what your essay should actually consist off. After you know your AO1, plan some essays by writing quotes and finding whatever device or analysis you can. Then, learn some context for everything related to a text. And make that context relevant to the question you're answering.

For English language, I'd recommend similar things with knowing your AOs and performing analysis. To prepare for the creative writing learn about structural techniques, and just read books and newspapers in general.

Can u mark this essay and give a grade and mark
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqeLpX_xqCE
Original post by Skkkk
Can u mark this essay and give a grade and mark
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqeLpX_xqCE

I haven't got a mark scheme nor am I a qualified English teacher. But here's my judgement on the work.

AO1: Understanding of the text: 8/12. The writer has shown that they clearly knew and understood the texts they were writing about. But the actual comparison itself was weak. There's a bunch of good points, but it doesn't really say anything about linking to the writers methods or poems overall meaning as a whole.

AO2: Analysis: 10/12. Great and lengthy analysis of form and structure and language. I'd say make the analysis more concise and specific (e.g. more word-level analysis and alternative interpretations). Overall, it's brilliant analysis though.

AO3: Context: 1/6. Barely anything seen about the writers backgrounds, the time and era in which the poem is set, etc. Needs actual context.

So overall, I'd give it 19/30. The lack of context really weighed it down there. This would be a grade 6 I think.

But remember, I'm not an English teacher, this is just my opinion. Maybe others would disagree with me.
Reply 10
I haven't got a mark scheme nor am I a qualified English teacher. But here's my judgement on the work.

AO1: Understanding of the text: 8/12. The writer has shown that they clearly knew and understood the texts they were writing about. But the actual comparison itself was weak. There's a bunch of good points, but it doesn't really say anything about linking to the writers methods or poems overall meaning as a whole.

AO2: Analysis: 10/12. Great and lengthy analysis of form and structure and language. I'd say make the analysis more concise and specific (e.g. more word-level analysis and alternative interpretations). Overall, it's brilliant analysis though.

AO3: Context: 1/6. Barely anything seen about the writers backgrounds, the time and era in which the poem is set, etc. Needs actual context.

So overall, I'd give it 19/30. The lack of context really weighed it down there. This would be a grade 6 I think.

But remember, I'm not an English teacher, this is just my opinion. Maybe others would disagree with me.

How would u improve it and any tips on how to do well I’m in year ten
Original post by Skkkk
How would u improve it and any tips on how to do well I’m in year ten

I said it in my response: focus on actually comparing techniques and methods, not just listing them down, and always analyse the effect on the reader!!! You must say stuff like "this particular device would make the reader feel [..] because [...]. Whereas this poem would make the reader feel...." To get top marks. Also, add relevant context. Learn things about the post or the thing they're writing about so you can add it in to support your points. For example, Ted Hughes's father served in WW1, and even survived the Gallipoli Massacre, and Hughes himself served in the RAF in WW2. English at GCSE is about how well you can backup a point. So used whatever you can to your advantage, even if it's a little oxymoron or caesura, write about what it means and how it backs up your point.
Reply 12
I said it in my response: focus on actually comparing techniques and methods, not just listing them down, and always analyse the effect on the reader!!! You must say stuff like "this particular device would make the reader feel [..] because [...]. Whereas this poem would make the reader feel...." To get top marks. Also, add relevant context. Learn things about the post or the thing they're writing about so you can add it in to support your points. For example, Ted Hughes's father served in WW1, and even survived the Gallipoli Massacre, and Hughes himself served in the RAF in WW2. English at GCSE is about how well you can backup a point. So used whatever you can to your advantage, even if it's a little oxymoron or caesura, write about what it means and how it backs up your point.

Can u mark my response
https://smhw-production.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/attachment/file/49ef26bbec3e5df1b6f4c929b6f6abed/Poetry_comparison_WAGOLL.docx

Overall, I'd give it around 25/30. The actual analysis is top-notch, though there should be more word-level analysis, alternative opinions and effect on reader. There is a good understanding of the text and excellent comparisons being drawn. But theres just not enough context to give it anything higher. I think 25/30 is a high 7 or low 8..
Reply 14
Overall, I'd give it around 25/30. The actual analysis is top-notch, though there should be more word-level analysis, alternative opinions and effect on reader. There is a good understanding of the text and excellent comparisons being drawn. But theres just not enough context to give it anything higher. I think 25/30 is a high 7 or low 8..

I need help with literature I’m having a breakdown
Wing it
Reply 16
Original post by Kirarater
Wing it

? What
Original post by Skkkk
I need help with literature I’m having a breakdown

You're in year 10, relax. You've got a year to learn and improve.
Reply 18
You're in year 10, relax. You've got a year to learn and improve.

I know but I really want an 8 but I’m really stressing out
Original post by Skkkk
I know but I really want an 8 but I’m really stressing out

Trust me, you'll do a lot of work in year 11 to help you improve. There's no point revising now since you'll either forget your revision or just burn out. Just relax and read through the books and poems you read, maybe annotate over poems and research the author and context. Don't do anything too heavy on yourself.

Quick Reply

Latest