The Student Room Group

Revising in May Half Term: A Guide

Revising in May Half Term: A Guide

Welcome to our penultimate revision this month guide! Here we'll be advising you on prioritising during May half term, looking after yourself and keeping up the motivation while there's no exams :smile:

Prioritisation

It can be really tricky to decide how to prioritise and plan your revision during the May half term, so hopefully these tips will help you to decide what to do and when to get the most out of your revision this holiday:

Know when your exams are! It sounds trivial, but it is important to know when your exams are to prioritise revision! If you're already in the midst of exams, you probably want to be spending more time revising for the closer exams. However, it's important to strike a balance- if you've got a load of exams bunched up at the end of exam season, you need to be planning ahead for that too, so it's important not to neglect further away exams completely.

Consider which subjects are your strengths, and which ones you need to work a bit more on. You should probably be spending more time on the subjects or topics which you struggle with to make your knowledge as complete as possible before the exam. If there's subjects you're doing well in, it's a case of maintaining that standard and filling any gaps, but for subjects you are struggling with, you will need to set aside more time to understand and be able to apply the content to exam questions.

Look at how many marks are allocated to topics. Look at the specification to see which areas and skills are allocated the most marks. You can use this to your advantage to guide your revision- for example, if there are two areas you are equally struggling with, but you only have an hour to dedicate to revision, it might be better to spend more of that time on the area with a greater mark allocation, as it's going to make up a greater proportion of your overall grade!

Think about which subjects you need. The subjects you need for the next level will be the most important ones for you to do well in. If it's A levels, then look at what universities/apprenticeships/employers need most from you. Try to prioritise those subjects which you aren't hitting the grades you need over the ones you are :tongue: Again, it's all about balance- you don't want to neglect any of your subjects, but when time is short, it is sometimes necessary to make the decision to prioritise which ones you need to improve in most.

Know that you won't be able to get through the entire course for every subject! The half term holiday just isn't realistically long enough to get through absolutely everything in the specification for every subject. But, it is plenty of time to be able to do revision that can improve your grades, and prioritising your work is one part of making sure that you get the most from this half term.

Self care

Next here are some tips on taking care of yourself during half term from @Lemur14
As we've said throughout this series of tips, self care is really important throughout the revision and exams process. While studying may (if you choose it to) play a major part in your half term, it's also a really good opportunity to spend a bit more time taking care of yourself, and general rest and recuperation. Ways you can do this include:

Just taking some time for yourself, whether that be to read a book, lie in your garden doing nothing, or a trip out. Allow yourself to do something relaxing for a while to clear your head

Organise everything. Sounds odd, but by having things organised it does make things easier for you as you won't have to search around in a stressed panic for that important revision guide, or turn everything upsidedown looking for something!

Extra time in bed :sleep: Sleep is never going to do you any harm…so why not head to bed early one night, or allow yourself an extra couple of hours in bed in the morning before cracking on with your revision?

Of course, there's plenty of other ways of caring for yourself. Feel free to share some of your favourite ways below!

Motivation

Finally, some tips on keeping up motivation from @brainzistheword
Keeping up motivation can be difficult, especially when you find yourself with all this extra time where you don’t need to furiously revise all day every day (with breaks, of course), but little and often is key here. You should have a clear idea of what exams you have left and when they are, so you can prioritise which ones you need to spend most time on first.

If you haven't already, a small plan of what you still need to cover will help you structure any remaining revision, but there doesn’t need to be chunk after chunk of revision - give yourself some time to unwind after all the exams you've already done (and bear in mind that you’ve got this far and it only means there are a few to go!)

At this stage, finding a balance of covering the topics left, but remembering to have fun and relieve stress where possible - is really important. If you can do a few sessions (durations will vary depending how you work) and then find something that you enjoy doing, it’ll help you keep your motivation up massively. You could revise and then:

Watch a film (or catch up on your latest Netflix series)

Meet up with friends

Spend time with family

Work on a hobby/interest

Read a book

Anything that takes your mind off the stress of exams for a while!

Join in with the exam jam this week to help you revise specific subjects! You can also see our previous guides here: Dec, Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr and May :h:

Good luck with your exams!

(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Labrador99
Know that you won't be able to get through the entire course for every subject!

i beg to differ

help
Original post by splrtgrt
i beg to differ

help

I guess it does depend how many subjects/exams you have left. For example, last year at this point I had 15 exams left, 9 subjects including some of them the whole 2 year course. There's no way you'd be able to cover all of that in half term. However, if you're one of those who has 4 exams left then you probably could :tongue:
:woo: this is amazing!
I have the second papers for all Sciences next week and the next and then the other two maths papers.

And everybody can bloody well watch me finish (or at least attempt to...:colondollar:) the damn specification!

I mean, there's Spanish... I could try to attempt it but I know I can't learn an entire language so... I'll do vocab but Spanish really isn't my focus at all - I hate that subject so much these days.

Geography... Seneca and Case Studies Flashcards, here I come!

English and Economics - how do I even revise these two? I'll probably do some past papers and try to get someone to mark them...

And that reminds me, do you think people on this site would be willing to mark and give feedback for essay-subject practice papers I do?
I don't have time to contact my teachers after holidays bc it's straight away, but I still want feedback... I know it really late into the year but do you think the student here would do the amazingly boring task for a random stranger?
So...

How many hours of revision would you recommend for a day?

(Asking for a friend... who has not started his half-term revision yet... :colondollar:)
I wouldn't advise my technique
Revising the night before
It is too risky
And in the exam
Your memory may be misty
So please
Use your half term wisely
So your brain doesn't freeze
But do relax sometimes
Otherwise your memory
Will go bye-bye,
Original post by laurawatt
:woo: this is amazing!

Thank you :woo:
Original post by Rachana.L
I have the second papers for all Sciences next week and the next and then the other two maths papers.

And everybody can bloody well watch me finish (or at least attempt to...:colondollar:) the damn specification!

I mean, there's Spanish... I could try to attempt it but I know I can't learn an entire language so... I'll do vocab but Spanish really isn't my focus at all - I hate that subject so much these days.

Geography... Seneca and Case Studies Flashcards, here I come!

English and Economics - how do I even revise these two? I'll probably do some past papers and try to get someone to mark them...

And that reminds me, do you think people on this site would be willing to mark and give feedback for essay-subject practice papers I do?
I don't have time to contact my teachers after holidays bc it's straight away, but I still want feedback... I know it really late into the year but do you think the student here would do the amazingly boring task for a random stranger?

Sounds like some good planning :yep:
If you post answers (with mark schemes) in the subject specific forum on here then sometimes people are around to mark stuff but obviously there's no guarantees! Self assessment can also be a good way to learn especially as you have to think how the examiner thinks when marking. If you have an email for your teacher then they might be willing to mark one or two as well?
Original post by RoronoaZoro3
So...

How many hours of revision would you recommend for a day?

(Asking for a friend... who has not started his half-term revision yet... :colondollar:)

It's hard to give an amount given it depends on how efficiently you work, how much you actually have to do, what subjects etc.
Nothing wrong with having some time off, although now is probably the time to settle down and start :tongue: I'm reluctant to put a number to it but perhaps 3/4 hours for a GCSE student with around half their exams left? And possibly slightly more for A level... It's hard to judge though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lemur14
Thank you :woo:

Sounds like some good planning :yep:
If you post answers (with mark schemes) in the subject specific forum on here then sometimes people are around to mark stuff but obviously there's no guarantees! Self assessment can also be a good way to learn especially as you have to think how the examiner thinks when marking. If you have an email for your teacher then they might be willing to mark one or two as well?

It's hard to give an amount given it depends on how efficiently you work, how much you actually have to do, what subjects etc.
Nothing wrong with having some time off, although now is probably the time to settle down and start :tongue: I'm reluctant to put a number to it but perhaps 3/4 hours for a GCSE student with around half their exams left? And possibly slightly more for A level... It's hard to judge though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you - I shall assume four hours is adequate..?
Thank you - I shall assume four hours is adequate..?

If it's effective work then yes... Ineffective work probably not :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you very much!!!!
How to stop procrastinating? I'm a master of procrastinating at everything but I cant help it.
Reply 12
Original post by xxlucyrowexx
How to stop procrastinating? I'm a master of procrastinating at everything but I cant help it.

Try the app 'forest'! It's so good for keeping your motivated and productive 😊😁
Thank you very much!!!!
You're welcome :smile:

:five: I'm a great procrastinator too! What I find helps me is breaking everything down into really small bits to do and writing them in the exact order I'm gonna do them. Then I put on music (as it helps me focus) and work down the list. They'll be some nice things on the list too, so for example today I think the first three things on my list are finish week 27, powerpoint 3 notes (boring), a maths worksheet (easy but relatively boring), a blog update (fun!) Then it goes back to some more boring things.
Basically it's about finding what works for you, helps you concentrate etc. :h:
Original post by Lemur14

I'm reluctant to put a number to it but perhaps 3/4 hours for a GCSE student with around half their exams left?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hope this is a week! :P

~Procrastinating but fasting is my excuse
Original post by 13tabedin
I hope this is a week! :P

~Procrastinating but fasting is my excuse

Not really :lol: It's hard to put a number to it though :tongue:
I wouldn't worry though, I did 1 morning in school for English language, plus 2 units of science (in the times there were 6 left after half term), plus a tiny bit of history in the entirety of my GCSE half term and I came out with almost all As so it can be done (although it's probably a bit harder on new spec now there's more application involved!)
love how I read this on the with only one day left of the holidays :smile:))
Original post by CinnamonSmol
love how I read this on the with only one day left of the holidays :smile:))

You can use it for this weekend? The motivation tips can certainly be used in exam season as well and the last guide linked (May) is good for exam season :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lemur14
You're welcome :smile:

:five: I'm a great procrastinator too! What I find helps me is breaking everything down into really small bits to do and writing them in the exact order I'm gonna do them. Then I put on music (as it helps me focus) and work down the list. They'll be some nice things on the list too, so for example today I think the first three things on my list are finish week 27, powerpoint 3 notes (boring), a maths worksheet (easy but relatively boring), a blog update (fun!) Then it goes back to some more boring things.
Basically it's about finding what works for you, helps you concentrate etc. :h:

Thank you!
Thank you!

No worries :smile: Some days it won't work (today was one of those for me, I've done basically nothing :oops:) but it does help most the time :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending