The Student Room Group

Role of the Father - ATTACHMENT (psychology)

I have some notes on this for attachment but its quite vague, and if it comes up as a 16 marker i wont have enough ao1 points

what i've got so far is that
- there is now an expectation in western cultures that fathers should play a greater role in bringing up children
- no. of full time mothers have increased = led to fathers having a more active role
- fathers = play mate role than mothers + encourage risk-taking
- infants prefer father when happy, prefer mother when sad/distressed

research:VERISSIMO= significant positive correlation between quality of relationship between fathers and toddlers and the no of friends at pre school. therefore father is more important in later childhood relationships.

is this enough? for a01?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
vkbjvejevdscd jkfiedcklcx ldsx
Reply 2
i need help
Reply 3
my exam is on monday
Reply 4
im sure there are lovely people on tsr that will be willing to help.
Do you do AQA A Level Psychology?
that's enough g
Reply 7
Original post by fireturtle
Do you do AQA A Level Psychology?

yep :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by loooooooooool0
that's enough g

my nan is my g
Here is a summarised note form of Role of the Father. I have more detailed notes if you want them let me know.

Multiple Attachments and the Role of the Father
Contribution of fathers
Schaffer and Emerson One third of the infants preferred the father to the mother.
Rohner and Veneziano - Argued that father love is important for social competence and academic achievement. They say this has been lost in America’s traditional gender roles.
The importance of the quality of attachment
It is not enough to just have the father around, he needs to do a good job!
Verissimo found a positive correlation between the quality of the father relationship and the number of friends at pre school.
The link to social skills
Gottman and Katz found that involved fathers had children who were more popular, less aggressive and had high quality friendships.
Differences to the mother attachment
Geiger argued that mother and father attachments serve different purposes (father = play, mother = nurturing).
Absent Fathers
Gottman found no difference in the social adjustment of children brought up by heterosexual and lesbian parents.
Golombok et al found that the quality of the relationship between parent and child was the best predictor of the child’s social adjustment (it didn’t matter if the parents were single, heterosexual and together, or homosexual and living together).
Reply 10
Here is a summarised note form of Role of the Father. I have more detailed notes if you want them let me know.

Contribution of fathers
Schaffer and Emerson One third of the infants preferred the father to the mother.
Rohner and Veneziano - Argued that father love is important for social competence and academic achievement. They say this has been lost in America’s traditional gender roles.
Verissimo found a positive correlation between the quality of the father relationship and the number of friends at pre school.
Gottman and Katz found that involved fathers had children who were more popular, less aggressive and had high quality friendships.
Geiger argued that mother and father attachments serve different purposes (father = play, mother = nurturing).
Absent Fathers
Gottman found no difference in the social adjustment of children brought up by heterosexual and lesbian parents.
Golombok et al found that the quality of the relationship between parent and child was the best predictor of the child’s social adjustment (it didn’t matter if the parents were single, heterosexual and together, or homosexual and living together).

ive got most of this stuff, i got verissimo, grossman and golombok but i have enough research evidence, i need like knowledge a01?

or is it enough just to include research studies?
Original post by soIiIoquy
ive got most of this stuff, i got verissimo, grossman and golombok but i have enough research evidence, i need like knowledge a01?

or is it enough just to include research studies?

Yep, you can use the studies as AO1 just make sure to have the A03. The most marks you can get for AO1 is 6 so studies should be okay if you put enough detail into it
Reply 12
Yep, you can use the studies as AO1 just make sure to have the A03. The most marks you can get for AO1 is 6 so studies should be okay if you put enough detail into it

ahh right okay, also, i have 3 a03 points which are

biological restraints = gender of primary caregiver is largely dictated by society, women expected to be caring and sensitive. biologically they have high levels of oestrogen and lower levels of testosterone than men . therefore social + biological restraints on who primary caregiver is.

inconsistent findings = research into role of father is confusing as different researchers interested in different research qs. some interested in fathers as secondary attachement figures. confusing to answer the question - what is the role of the father?

and lastly....
single/same sex parent families = grossman found that fathers as seconary attachment figures had important role and golombok found that children grown up in single or same sex families didnt develop any differently than 2 parent hetrosexual families therefore father as secondary attachment figure is not important.

also, whats the difference between reciprocity and interaction synchrony?

Spoiler

ahh right okay, also, i have 3 a03 points which are

biological restraints = gender of primary caregiver is largely dictated by society, women expected to be caring and sensitive. biologically they have high levels of oestrogen and lower levels of testosterone than men . therefore social + biological restraints on who primary caregiver is.

inconsistent findings = research into role of father is confusing as different researchers interested in different research qs. some interested in fathers as secondary attachement figures. confusing to answer the question - what is the role of the father?

and lastly....
single/same sex parent families = grossman found that fathers as seconary attachment figures had important role and golombok found that children grown up in single or same sex families didnt develop any differently than 2 parent hetrosexual families therefore father as secondary attachment figure is not important.

also, whats the difference between reciprocity and interaction synchrony?

Spoiler

AO3 looking good, I think you'll nail it.

Reciprocity = The behaviour of one causes a reaction in the other. E.g. The infant cries and the caregiver picks them up.
Interactional Synchrony = The infant and caregiver mirror each other, e.g. the infant smiles and the caregiver smiles back.
Reply 14
AO3 looking good, I think you'll nail it.

Reciprocity = The behaviour of one causes a reaction in the other. E.g. The infant cries and the caregiver picks them up.
Interactional Synchrony = The infant and caregiver mirror each other, e.g. the infant smiles and the caregiver smiles back.

right i got it, thank you so much xx

ill probably end up asking you for help this weekend , before the exam ahaha

Contribution of fathers
Absent Fathers

Could I have the detailed notes?
right i got it, thank you so much xx

ill probably end up asking you for help this weekend , before the exam ahaha

No problem :smile:
And aha if you need anything else i'll be happy to help, this helps with my own revision too
Reply 17
No problem :smile:
And aha if you need anything else i'll be happy to help, this helps with my own revision too

goodluck with the exam though, you'll smash it :smile:
Original post by jordanl99
Could I have the detailed notes?

Sure,

As a result of advances in gender equality fathers now play a more active role in their child’s upbringing. There is conflicting research concerning the importance of the father but it does seem to be the case that the father can be considered just as important as the mother when considering attachment.
We will look at five themes in discussing the importance of the father:

The contribution of fathers

Schaffer and Emerson (1964) noted that in their study
about one third of the infants preferred their father to
their mother. This tells us that the attachment to the
father can be just as important and useful as that to
the mother.

Rohner and Veneziano (2001) carried out a review of
research into attachment to fathers and concluded that
‘father love’ is just as important as ‘mother love’ and in
some cases more important. They argue that the
importance of the father has been lost in America’s
traditional gender roles, arguing that ‘father love’ is
important for a number of things including social
competence and academic achievement.

Whilst the research above points to the importance of the father it should be remembered that attachments differ hugely depending on the quality of parenting. Other researchers have pointed out that it is not enough for the father to be around, he needs to be a good parent.

When the quality of the relationship between father and child is good there seems to be benefits to the child. For instance Verissimo et al (2011) studied 35 families and found a significant positive correlation between the quality of the father relationship and the number of friends the child had at pre-school.

We have already seen that the father attachment can contribute to friendships, social competence and academic achievement when the relationship is good. These research findings are quite consistent. For instance, Gottman and Katz (1995) found that involved fathers had children who were more popular, less aggressive and had high quality friendships.

Differences to the ‘mother attachment’

A lot of research has suggested that the father attachment is not necessarily a replication or replacement of the mother attachment but a complementary relationship whereby the father gives the child different things to the mother. For instance, Geiger (1996) argued that whilst mother attachments were more nurturing, father attachments were more focused around play.

Absent fathers

Many children grow up without a father. This can happen for a number of reasons, one of the most researched being when children are being brought up by a lesbian couple. The research outlined above suggests that the role of the father is important, so how do children in such families fare?

Research would suggest that children in lesbian headed families are in no way disadvantaged. For instance, Gottman (1989) compared adult daughters of both heterosexual and lesbian parents. He found no significant differences between them in terms of their social adjustment, sexual orientation and gender identity.

Golombok et al (2003) mirrored these findings by comparing single mother households, lesbian parent households and heterosexual couple households. They found that the best predictor of whether the child was well adjusted was the quality of the relationship experienced. This indicates that as long as the child has a high quality attachment to someone it won’t suffer in later life. It should also be remembered that children with absent fathers are unlikely to grow up in a female only environment. They may develop attachments to uncles, older brothers, grandfathers etc.

(Sorry for the weird formatting, hope this helped it was mainly AO1)
goodluck with the exam though, you'll smash it :smile:

Thanks! Right back at ya :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest