The Student Room Group

Your Opinion On The New Edexcel A Level Geography Specification

Hi all,

Below, are the links to the specification and sample assessment materials of the new Edexcel A Level Geography course, starting SEPTEMBER 2016.

AS:
http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Geography/2016/specification-and-sample-assessments/Edexcel-AS-Level-Geography-Spec-Draft.pdf

A2:
http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Geography/2016/specification-and-sample-assessments/Edexcel-A-Level-Geography-Spec-Draft.pdf

AS SAMPLE QUESTION PAPERS:
http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Geography/2016/specification-and-sample-assessments/SAMs-GCE-AS-level-L3-Geography-Draft.pdf

A2 SAMPLE QUESTION PAPERS:
http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Geography/2016/specification-and-sample-assessments/SAMs-GCE-A-level-L3-Geography-Draft.pdf

I'd really like the opinions of those who took geography for A Level. What do you think of this new course? Do you think it's doable? Please also look at the sample materials, to see if the questions seem achievable and not so difficult. Would really appreciate your opinions.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Hello! :hi::

I've moved this to the Geography forum now, so you should get more replies here :h:
I started on the as course last month (I'm in year 12) and hated it, I changed to German last week- I think it's great if you're in it for the human geography as its really heavy in globalisation, politics, economics etc but the physical contents really isn't there as much 😔 I really love physical geography and environment and biodiversity related topics and I felt as though my passion for the physical side of the subject was being drained because of the way the as is structured, just my opinion though, some people love it that way...
I think it's good apart from the addition of coursework.
I'm doing this geography specification and I absolutely hate it with all my heart. There's so much content and they expect us to remember everything but only 10% of what we do in class comes up in the exam. We learn about all these topics for them to be worth only 12 marks in some topics, it's ridiculous! We're the guinea pigs for this new specification and it really is not fair at all. They made a paper 3 which is a synoptic paper but there is no sample for it. HOW RIDICULOUS! How do they expect us to do a paper which we've never seen before or practised? Stupid really...Don't pick geography A level, wait 3 years to pick it for more past paper material to be available. How can you revise without past papers? DUMB EXAM BOARD F Edexcel.
Reply 6
i hate it with a burning passion. the fact the teachers dont understand the specification doesn't help. It has also not been helped as one of my two teachers left for maternity leave and the other was suspended, leaving me with a math teacher (who has a geography degree) and a teacher who has just left university with no experience teaching me since christmas. but there is too much content and the coursework is just a shambles.
Original post by seanmc18
i hate it with a burning passion. the fact the teachers dont understand the specification doesn't help. It has also not been helped as one of my two teachers left for maternity leave and the other was suspended, leaving me with a math teacher (who has a geography degree) and a teacher who has just left university with no experience teaching me since christmas. but there is too much content and the coursework is just a shambles.

Wow I actually think nationwide this specification is a hot mess! Everyone I’ve spoken to says their teachers haven’t really taught the course properly, honestly my teachers were teaching us like we were a Year 9 class and paid no attention to the spec. Honestly ****ed for Monday’s exam have no idea how to prepare for it! Coursework was a mess for us too, they didn’t know how to mark it so now my coursework is giving me false sense of security!

Quick Reply

Latest