The Student Room Group

EPQ?

So I'm going on to sixth form next year and have chosen 4 subjects: chem, bio, maths and psychology? I've heard a lot about the extended project itself - should I do it, advice from anyone who has?

Scroll to see replies

I would say yes, it is literally just a 5000 words essay. Make sure you choose a topic you like or it is linked to your future plans. A good idea would be to do it during the summer from Year 12 and Year 13. It is worth half an A-level (it is better than an AS). DO IT!
I done my EPQ during my second year of a levels although my school stopped doing them so I had to leave it half way, so my grade in that didn’t really count towards anything. It’s good self expansion though however it was way too much content for me. I was already doing 5 a levels + an EPQ was too much to handle. It’ll be the same for you too but it’s your word against mine - if you think you can tackle it then go for it! Good luck
Reply 3
Original post by Hammad(214508)
I would say yes, it is literally just a 5000 words essay. Make sure you choose a topic you like or it is linked to your future plans. A good idea would be to do it during the summer from Year 12 and Year 13. It is worth half an A-level (it is better than an AS). DO IT!

So if I choose medicine as a future career plan e.g. do an essay on gene therapy? And do you get a grade? what do u mean by half an a level?
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
I done my EPQ during my second year of a levels although my school stopped doing them so I had to leave it half way, so my grade in that didn’t really count towards anything. It’s good self expansion though however it was way too much content for me. I was already doing 5 a levels + an EPQ was too much to handle. It’ll be the same for you too but it’s your word against mine - if you think you can tackle it then go for it! Good luck

5 a levels wow? Shame your skl did that , my skl i doubt they even know what it is. But thank you!
Reply 5
Original post by Hammad(214508)

Also,does every different exam board have different regulations on EPQ? I thought it was a general thing and do you ave to submit it without ur UCAS application?
I did it at GCSE age (though it still counts as a level 3 qualification) and I'd say it's too much stress to be honest, even though I got 94%.
DO NOT LISTEN TO HAMMAD, the essay doesn’t even directly get marks, I did it and my essay was insanely good not to sound arrogant but all the marks are pretty much in paperwork and filling out forms in a logbook, it can show uni etc. Ur interest in a certain field so that’s good but to do well good organisation and planning are essential, even if ur the best essay writer in the world
Reply 8
Original post by RainbowDiva
I did it at GCSE age (though it still counts as a level 3 qualification) and I'd say it's too much stress to be honest, even though I got 94%.

Oh thats great! What grade?
Reply 9
I dont know according to some exam boards like AQA it makes you stand out?
Original post by Aaronrj01
DO NOT LISTEN TO HAMMAD, the essay doesn’t even directly get marks, I did it and my essay was insanely good not to sound arrogant but all the marks are pretty much in paperwork and filling out forms in a logbook, it can show uni etc. Ur interest in a certain field so that’s good but to do well good organisation and planning are essential, even if ur the best essay writer in the world

Okay sooo what are u advising?
Original post by PrazzPrazz
Oh thats great! What grade?

I think A*; not sure though.

But IMHO there's way too much emphasis on the documents (activity log, proposal form etc.)....those aren't really translate-able skills for work and frankly I'm not sure I learned anything from the documents and stuff even though it was a lot of work.
I think A*; not sure though.

But IMHO there's way too much emphasis on the documents (activity log, proposal form etc.)....those aren't really translate-able skills for work and frankly I'm not sure I learned anything from the documents and stuff even though it was a lot of work.

Do you recommend it though?
As someone who is doing the same subjects as you and has done the EPQ (A), I would say go for it, as it's a super useful kickstarter tool for university, what with writing essays and the dissertation. It also doesn't take up too much time.

I would watch out if you're planning to do Medicine, though. A number of med schools don't actually look at the EPQ at all for one reason or another (they usually say it's to give a level playing field.)
Original post by Fractite
As someone who is doing the same subjects as you and has done the EPQ (A), I would say go for it, as it's a super useful kickstarter tool for university, what with writing essays and the dissertation. It also doesn't take up too much time.

I would watch out if you're planning to do Medicine, though. A number of med schools don't actually look at the EPQ at all for one reason or another (they usually say it's to give a level playing field.)

A level playing field?
Original post by Aaronrj01

The point of doing EPQ is not getting the best in the world, the point is to develop the skills YOU DON'T HAVE e.g. planning, presentation, writing, time management ...
A level playing field?

Yeah apparently, some schoola don't offer it, so it gives them an unfair disadvantage.

On the whole, it's very, very useful.
Do you recommend it though?

It's quite valued by universities apparently but only if you get A or A*. So go for it, but only if you're prepared to put the work in - and it IS quite hard work. But yeah, basically if you're looking to go to uni it can make you stand out to other candidates.
It's quite valued by universities apparently but only if you get A or A*. So go for it, but only if you're prepared to put the work in - and it IS quite hard work. But yeah, basically if you're looking to go to uni it can make you stand out to other candidates.

Okay thank you

Original post by Fractite
Yeah apparently, some schoola don't offer it, so it gives them an unfair disadvantage.

On the whole, it's very, very useful.

Yeah my current skl doesn't offer it but the school i got a place in does
Okay thank you

Yeah my current skl doesn't offer it but the school i got a place in does

Good luck with EPQ and everything else!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending