The Student Room Group

English language revision

I dont really know how to revise english language, i knew how to revise english literature as it is about remembering quotes..
help exams in about 5 days!
Original post by Harrisn
I dont really know how to revise english language, i knew how to revise english literature as it is about remembering quotes..
Practise questions. Its's boring as hell but, will in not be worthgetting a higher grade?
Do as many past papers and specimen papers as you can- if you know which exam board your school uses for English language then you can go on that website and find all the past or specimen papers. All the questions will be of similar structure and have the same amount of marks so it will give you good practice for writing the correct thing for the correct amount of marks. Also, I'd recommend reading a lot since I think part of English language tests is usually a descriptive writing part, and also it's a lot of comprehension so reading fiction books will help big time (might be a bit late now to read tons of books since the exams in 5 days though) but honestly just do past papers and good luck! :smile:
Reply 3
Thanks guys does anyone have a log in for exampro??
Reply 4
Mind maps helped me no end.

Do one for these
Paper 1 - timing, each questions, etc
Paper 2 - timing, each questions
The technical devices - each one and what it means
The sentence structure - each type including things like for shadowing.
Discourse markers

YOU MUST WATCH MR BRUFF ON YOU TUBE. He is an amazing examiner who goes through every question in turn and tells you how to answer them to get the highest markers.
Reply 5
Original post by Purdy7
Mind maps helped me no end.

Do one for these
Paper 1 - timing, each questions, etc
Paper 2 - timing, each questions
The technical devices - each one and what it means
The sentence structure - each type including things like for shadowing.
Discourse markers

YOU MUST WATCH MR BRUFF ON YOU TUBE. He is an amazing examiner who goes through every question in turn and tells you how to answer them to get the highest markers.

Thank you I'll try that, does it matter if i do a past paper from aqa that i have already done for my mocks??
Original post by Harrisn

It’s just how much u write
Reply 7
Original post by Harrisn
Thank you I'll try that, does it matter if i do a past paper from aqa that i have already done for my mocks??

Nope, just keep writing-it can be about anything and from anywhere: newspaper articles that inspire you, front pages of books etc.
(edited 5 years ago)
I've just been going over each question, making sure I understand what the AOS wants and what to look for. Also helps to plan out sentence starters, connectives e.g for each question. I would also reccomend doing mocks/practice question but don't over do it. I'm doing a mock paper 1 on Sunday and a mock Paper 2 on wednesday but that's it. Don't burn yourself out, you need to rest.
Reply 9
Original post by -Kestrel-
I've just been going over each question, making sure I understand what the AOS wants and what to look for. Also helps to plan out sentence starters, connectives e.g for each question. I would also reccomend doing mocks/practice question but don't over do it. I'm doing a mock paper 1 on Sunday and a mock Paper 2 on wednesday but that's it. Don't burn yourself out, you need to rest.

Whats AOS?
Reply 10
Original post by lucyyfranklinn
Do as many past papers and specimen papers as you can- if you know which exam board your school uses for English language then you can go on that website and find all the past or specimen papers. All the questions will be of similar structure and have the same amount of marks so it will give you good practice for writing the correct thing for the correct amount of marks. Also, I'd recommend reading a lot since I think part of English language tests is usually a descriptive writing part, and also it's a lot of comprehension so reading fiction books will help big time (might be a bit late now to read tons of books since the exams in 5 days though) but honestly just do past papers and good luck! :smile:

What did you get??
practice questions- you need to nail your exam technique and the way you read a text so if you're not confident on literary devices maybe learn the definitions of some too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending