The Student Room Group

Brexit Supporter Lord Lawson...

Has apparently applied for French residency.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Axiomasher
Has apparently applied for French residency.

That may not be unconnected with the fact that he has lived in France for several years.
Reply 2
Original post by nulli tertius
That may not be unconnected with the fact that he has lived in France for several years.

That only makes it worse. No commitment to living in the UK but instead committed to living in EU country France, all the while campaigning for Brexit. Stinks.
Can you explain exactly what your problem is with it?

Supporting Brexit means you think that the UK should not be part of the political structure of the EU. It does not mean that you think all of Europe is awful and to be avoided.

I'm sure there are plenty of British expats in America who would not particularly support the UK becoming a US State. Is that okay?
Reply 4
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Can you explain exactly what your problem is with it?...

I think it stinks because Brexit risks massive negative social and economic change for the people who live in the UK. So when a prominent Brexit activist makes it clear that he is making sure he can (and is keen to) up sticks to suit and to up sticks to the EU itself, it's pretty damning. I've never really agreed with the idea of ex-pats retaining voting rights tbh so that argument doesn't wash on me.
Original post by Axiomasher
I think it stinks because Brexit risks massive negative social and economic change for the people who live in the UK.

Meh. Lots of people think that not-Brexit risks massive negative institutional and social change for people who live in the UK.

Your premise here is that brexit is bad, which is not a sensible starting point if you're trying to charge a brexit supporter with hypocrisy.
The establishment love to try to kick us with character attacks on those who were prepared to stand up to the establishment.

But we delivered Brexit and laughed in the faces of the establishment.
Well, there you go. Some people who supported Brexit did it because they wanted to reshape UK-EU relations all the while believing that European countries were attractive places.

You seem to have the unhealthy idea that Brexit = being repulsed by European countries or a degree of European integration.
Reply 8
I have opinions on how London should be ran and I don't live there, yknow.

Or perhaps more forcefully, I don't live in Eire or the six counties, but I have strong opinions about a united Ireland.

Supporting Brexit means you think that the UK should not be part of the political structure of the EU. It does not mean that you think all of Europe is awful and to be avoided.

Many labour under this misapprehension.
Reply 10

I'm sure there are plenty of British expats in America who would not particularly support the UK becoming a US State. Is that okay?

Could have fooled me.
Original post by Napp
Could have fooled me.

That says more about you than the proposition tbh.
Reply 12
That says more about you than the proposition tbh.

Not especially, given the numerous anti European rants you can observe the brexstremists making.

I would think it was a comment in the relation to the fact he has made personal use of the 'free movement' benefit while arguing that we should get rid of free movement etc.

I guess it would be similar to arguing we should abolish child benefit and then applying for child benefit.

It doesn't negate the argument for Brexit but it does paint him as a bit hypocritical.
(edited 5 years ago)
How is it in any way hypocritical?

France is a country that happens to be in Europe and the European Union.

Applying for residency in France does not mean you support the neoliberal project headed by Juncker and his cronies.

Brits will not stop living in or travelling to France or any other part of Europe after we leave the EU, shock horror.

Now I did an Erasmus placement a few years ago and now broadly support Brexit. That is objectively hypocritical, but come at me.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by rockrunride
How is it in any way hypocritical?

France is a country that happens to be in Europe and the European Union.

Applying for residency in France does not mean you support the neoliberal project headed by Juncker and his cronies.

Brits will not stop living in or travelling to France or any other part of Europe after we leave the EU, shock horror.

Now I did an Erasmus placement a few years ago and now broadly support Brexit. That is objectively hypocritical, but come at me.

Because free movement is a product of the EU. And he applied for residency under EU law.

It's a bit like campaigning to increase taxes while engaging in tax avoidance yourself.
Original post by DeBruyne18
Because free movement is a product of the EU. And he applied for residency under EU law.

It's a bit like campaigning to increase taxes while engaging in tax avoidance yourself.

Brits have been moving to France before the concept of free movement was invented and will continue to do so after it ends.

Remainers don't like Brexit supporters showing interest in Europe because it shatters their illusion that they're a bunch of thick racists.
(edited 5 years ago)
I would think it was a comment in the relation to the fact he has made personal use of the 'free movement' benefit while arguing that we should get rid of free movement etc.

I guess it would be similar to arguing we should abolish child benefit and then applying for child benefit.

It doesn't negate the argument for Brexit but it does paint him as a bit hypocritical.

Not supporting the free movement of immigrants to the UK for reasons pertaining to the UK does not mean one must also be against free movement to France - a country clearly OK with it.

It's never generally been the position of Brexit supporters that any and all immigration is bad. Therefore, moving to France under the current and only option of free movement doesn't automatically infer any hypocrisy at all. Does his support for Brexit mean he should stay trapped in the UK forever or risk losing integrity? Does it mean he should have to wait until free movement is gone until he moves? Of course not. None of that would make much sense.
Original post by rockrunride
Brits have been moving to France before the concept of free movement was invented and will continue to do so after it ends.

Remainers don't like Brexit supporters showing interest in Europe because it shatters their illusion that they're a bunch of thick racists.

If you can't understand the hypocrisy in campaigning to end free movement while using it to live somewhere else there's not much point carrying this on.
If you can't understand the hypocrisy in campaigning to end free movement while using it to live somewhere else there's not much point carrying this on.

So if I want to move to France what shall I do without being a hypocrite? Hang about until no intra-EU migration laws remain in force?

Europe European Union

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending