The Student Room Group

Trump-Kim summit ‘unscrapped’

The planned summit between the US President and Kim Jong Un is once again being tabled for the 12th of June just days after it was scrapped.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44339003

What are your thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm tempted to start calling him Donald @haviana' trump as homage to his flipflopping.
Is Trump aiming to add new words to the dictionary. again?
They'll sign some meaningless vague document about commitment to disarmament and that's it. Both Kim and Trump just want a summit they can portray as a PR triumph, with substance being secondary.

Best case scenario, Trump lets Pompeo (who, for all his faults, seems to at least understand the diplomacy, unlike Trump) continue talking to Pyongyang after the summit and we actually get some trust-building.

We have, at least, avoided war and John Bolton's apparent determination to see major US cities eat 150 kilotons* of nuke.

That said, some of the diplomacy here has been absolutely dire. Kim played Trump, who basically gave him most of what he wanted straight off the bat. And the man who really deserves a Nobel Prize for this, easily more than anyone else involved, is Moon Jae-In.

*As a comparison, Hiroshima and Nagasaki were both hit with about 20 kilotons.
I've said it before but at the moment Trump could find a cure for cancer and all the majority of the media and everyone on the left would say is that he is racist because he did that before tackling sickle cell anaemia. 😁
Reply 5
Has he actually read the letter yet?

Or at least found someone to read it to him...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
Has he actually read the letter yet?

Or at least found someone to read it to him...

Posted from TSR Mobile

According to the media, not yet.
He told them that he’s kinda busy and still got no time for that.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Just my opinion
I've said it before but at the moment Trump could find a cure for cancer and all the majority of the media and everyone on the left would say is that he is racist because he did that before tackling sickle cell anaemia. 😁

Thankfully it is so completely impossible that such an eventuality we need never trouble our morals with such a conundrum.
Reply 8
I don't agree with everything Trump does but you have to admit, his tactics have bullied Kim Jong Un into submission. Kim started messing around with the US again so Trump cancelled, now Kim has come begging for a meeting again, and knows he won't get away with his sh*t. If anyone else were president we would be nowhere with NK. Everyone said he would start a nuclear war but he may have just prevented on. Give credit where credits due. By saying he did a good job on NK isn't an admission that you like Trump or think everything he does is great.
Reply 9
Original post by Jono*
I don't agree with everything Trump does but you have to admit, his tactics have bullied Kim Jong Un into submission. Kim started messing around with the US again so Trump cancelled, now Kim has come begging for a meeting again, and knows he won't get away with his sh*t. If anyone else were president we would be nowhere with NK. Everyone said he would start a nuclear war but he may have just prevented on. Give credit where credits due. By saying he did a good job on NK isn't an admission that you like Trump or think everything he does is great.

Quick question;
How exactly has he been "bullied into submission"? - last time I checked the two had irreconcilable differences about what is to happen, i.e. Trump wants kim to hand over the nukes and Kim is not going to hand over the nukes.

I mean to do grudginly concede the point that if Trump gets something done then props to him but people should really stop over selling a meeting, as it is just that - a meeting. If for some crazy reason Kim does lose all reason and decide to give up the nukes then props to the marmalade monster that is Trump but until then im content to call him out for playing chicken with other peoples lives and claiming credit where no credit is yet due.
Original post by Napp
Quick question;
How exactly has he been "bullied into submission"? - last time I checked the two had irreconcilable differences about what is to happen, i.e. Trump wants kim to hand over the nukes and Kim is not going to hand over the nukes.

It's weird how so many people seem determined to ignore what Kim and NK have actually been saying. Their message has basically been "We've got our H-bomb and ICBMs as a deterrent now, we don't need to do nuke tests any more, so now we're pivoting resources towards the economy, and are doing all this diplomacy to get recognition and sanctions lifting."

Everyone who had a clue knew Kim was never going to give up his nukes like Gaddafi, precidely because he's scared of ending up like Gaddafi did. What he could perhaps have been leveraged to do, however, is submit to caps and restrictions on his arsenal and international inspectors to verify he wasn't cheating.

But that required offering him stuff in return. And Trump, rather than holding off on a summit as an incentive, immediately gave Kim what his family has wanted for 70 years - the recognition and legitimacy that comes from a personal meeting with an American President. He also kind of backed himself into a corner - if he cancelled, then it would be impossible to re-isolate Kim like before, because the two most important third parties - China and South Korea - had been won over. And even Trump's cringeworthy cancellation letter (plus, of course, the infamous coins) made it relatively clear he wasn't really serious, it was just something he thought was a good tactic.

If Kim does make any meaningful concessions in Singapore (which I doubt), it won't be because of Trump but despite him. It'll be down either to some good diplomacy by Pompeo (who I don't have much faith in, but he does deserve some credit for this), or pressure from Xi and Moon.
Nah, it is a sensational coup by both men and the inevitable starting point of any movement from a situation where NK were just upping the ante at will. No matter how much it hurts the anti-Trump crowd, still buzzing about the cancelation, this is good news for the world. Trump did work hard for it too, his admin put some serious pressure on China and added sanctions against NK in that sort of business approach that politicians struggle with. Result.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Jono*

there is still time for a nuclear war yet.Plus he moved the embassy to jerusalem thus recognising it as israels capital and putting paid to the two state solution.He also tore up the Iran deal which might lead to Iran getting the bomb which would then lead to Saudi arabia getting the bomb.He's also scrapped the climate change deal which will evidently lead to further wars due to lack of resources,drought,flooding ect...
Call me controversial but I don't think you should get a noble peace prize for threatening nuclear war.Maybe it worked but calling it a tactic is over-complicated for trump.The man does not think things through at all.
Reply 13
Original post by Robby2312
there is still time for a nuclear war yet.Plus he moved the embassy to jerusalem thus recognising it as israels capital and putting paid to the two state solution.He also tore up the Iran deal which might lead to Iran getting the bomb which would then lead to Saudi arabia getting the bomb.He's also scrapped the climate change deal which will evidently lead to further wars due to lack of resources,drought,flooding ect...
Call me controversial but I don't think you should get a noble peace prize for threatening nuclear war.Maybe it worked but calling it a tactic is over-complicated for trump.The man does not think things through at all.

Iran won't get nuclear weapons, the west would never allow it. Pulling out of the Paris deal was something I disagree with but it's hardly going to lead to wars due to "drought, flooding etc". The big hole in the ozone layer has been getting smaller every year for the past 15 years and will soon disappear. If you look through out history the world is constantly changing in terms of temperature and climate, so it won't lead to any of that, mabye the air in America will be a bit more polluted which is bad for your health but that's pretty much the extent of it. I'm not gonna say whether Trump should get a Nobel prize I'm sure he would love to brag that he has one, but then again if he is successful in denuclearizing NK it would be far more than Obama did to get his.
It takes a very high level of stupidity and reductive thinking if you think Trump deserves credit for this. I hope some establishment politicians who want peace with NK pull his strings like a puppet to secure a good deal, but by his side he's got Roger Stone.

Trump deserves no credit for this. Not one shed of it. Please, Trumptards, do some research and just turn on the news for once.
Reply 15
Original post by rhaegar445
It takes a very high level of stupidity and reductive thinking if you think Trump deserves credit for this. I hope some establishment politicians who want peace with NK pull his strings like a puppet to secure a good deal, but by his side he's got Roger Stone.

Trump deserves no credit for this. Not one shed of it. Please, Trumptards, do some research and just turn on the news for once.

If by Trumptards you mean me, then guess what, I'm not a Trump supporter, I think he's an egotistic ass**le, but I don't let that blind me to the reality of what he does well, and also what he does badly. He does NK well, Obama got nowhere with diplomacy. Most people who don't like Trump will do anything and everything to try and find a reason to crap on him when he does something well, but when he does something badly then it's 100% personally his fault according to guys like you. If Obama had done this you would be singing his praises about how amazing he was and about how a republican president would have started a nuclear war, don't even try and lie and say you wouldn't.

There's a little something called objectively, and you have none of it.
Original post by Jono*
If by Trumptards you mean me, then guess what, I'm not a Trump supporter, I think he's an egotistic ass**le, but I don't let that blind me to the reality of what he does well, and also what he does badly. He does NK well, Obama got nowhere with diplomacy. Most people who don't like Trump will do anything and everything to try and find a reason to crap on him when he does something well, but when he does something badly then it's 100% personally his fault according to guys like you. If Obama had done this you would be singing his praises about how amazing he was and about how a republican president would have started a nuclear war, don't even try and lie and say you wouldn't.

There's a little something called objectively, and you have none of it.

Except you can't even tell us what he's done well and why that's the reason. The facts simply don't agree with you. It's the Chinese and the South Koreans that brought Kim to the negotiation table, whereas it's been the Americans that proposed the Libyan model that scared NK in the first place as well as trying to shut the summit down in the first place.

Im sure you're not a trump supporter and you're a very objective person, so it surprises me that you don't want to talk facts and somehow managed to drag Obama into this.
Original post by JMR2018
The planned summit between the US President and Kim Jong Un is once again being tabled for the 12th of June just days after it was scrapped.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44339003

What are your thoughts?

That his brain can be reprogrammed by anyone going on a charm offensive. They even gave him a giant envolope XD

Original post by Jono*
Iran won't get nuclear weapons, the west would never allow it. Pulling out of the Paris deal was something I disagree with but it's hardly going to lead to wars due to "drought, flooding etc". The big hole in the ozone layer has been getting smaller every year for the past 15 years and will soon disappear. If you look through out history the world is constantly changing in terms of temperature and climate, so it won't lead to any of that, mabye the air in America will be a bit more polluted which is bad for your health but that's pretty much the extent of it. I'm not gonna say whether Trump should get a Nobel prize I'm sure he would love to brag that he has one, but then again if he is successful in denuclearizing NK it would be far more than Obama did to get his.

That is what they said about north korea and yet here we are.They have nukes which might reach america.Surely the west would have prevented that if they could? Or did they allow it? Actually drought and flooding is exactly what climate change is meant to lead to particularly in coastal cities like london and new york. Current climate change has little to do with the ozone layer and yes it has always changed but never this quickly.Past climate change has taken place over millenia and was to do with milankovitch cycles.This climate change is rapid and has taken place in less than a century and just happens to coincide with the largest concentration of carbon dioxide in 800 thousand years.It is not a coincidence that we are experiencing warming but rather a consequence of basic physics.You only need to look at Venus to see what happens when the atmosphere is composed of mostly carbon dioxide.

As for Obama he didn't deserve his either but that doesn't mean trump deserves one.If anyone deserves one it's the south korean president not two egotists having a **** measuring contest.
Reply 19
Original post by Robby2312
That is what they said about north korea and yet here we are.They have nukes which might reach america.Surely the west would have prevented that if they could? Or did they allow it? Actually drought and flooding is exactly what climate change is meant to lead to particularly in coastal cities like london and new york. Current climate change has little to do with the ozone layer and yes it has always changed but never this quickly.Past climate change has taken place over millenia and was to do with milankovitch cycles.This climate change is rapid and has taken place in less than a century and just happens to coincide with the largest concentration of carbon dioxide in 800 thousand years.It is not a coincidence that we are experiencing warming but rather a consequence of basic physics.You only need to look at Venus to see what happens when the atmosphere is composed of mostly carbon dioxide.

As for Obama he didn't deserve his either but that doesn't mean trump deserves one.If anyone deserves one it's the south korean president not two egotists having a **** measuring contest.

Well I agree with you that the SK president is the only level headed one of the 3. What I'm saying about climate change is that it is slow and while I'm obviously no expert, it would take a long time (not in our lifetime) before cities like new york start becoming flooded, and we will adapt to the change as it slowly happens. As I said earlier I was totally against Trump pulling out of the Paris deal, but I don't think it will have any major disastrous effects. (the next US pres. will likely rejoin it or join a new one anyways).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending