(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I think I'm in love :colondollar: thanks a lot man
Good luck guys!
Reply 3
Original post by james_furber1
Good luck guys!

Hey
You mentioned writing a story beforehand would be useful. In this case what would you recommend i base my story on that i write now before the exam on Tuesday?
Thanks in advance
Original post by King01
Hey
You mentioned writing a story beforehand would be useful. In this case what would you recommend i base my story on that i write now before the exam on Tuesday?
Thanks in advance

Yes
Reply 5
Are you superman because you might just have saved my gcse
Original post by Zaspo
Are you superman because you might just have saved my gcse

Maybe :smile:
James you are a legend!!! Thank you soo much!
Thanks !!
Original post by james_furber1
Section B /40
Okay before we start I made a similar guide on Section A, check it out if you're struggling.

Spoiler

So to get started with lets look at what Section B is.
Section B is the creative writing element of Paper One. You will be given the choice of a description of a picture or a story starting with a sentence provided by the exam board.
At school I was always taught to do the description as you have a stimulus. But I find it more natural to do the story and here are some tips :P

Top tips :O

I have seen a multitude of threads suggesting you write stories before hand and merge them to the stimulus. While you may seem uneasy and irrelevant when you write your Section B in the exam it does help with confidence to have a good level nine/eight story in your head.

Your Story should always contain a paragraph about a character in detail; whether this be the Protagonist or the Villain.

Another thing you should have is a smallish list in your head of language devices to use. In the mocks I had about 5 I said I'd use predominantly being: Alliteration, Metaphors, Similes, Personification, Oxymoron/Juxtaposition. If you include these once or twice it will really carry your answer. I even made a small tick list in the exam!

Another reason why I pick story usually is because we are trained all throughout school to write stories. Also they are more entertaining. I often find myself entertained by my own stories in exams.

Take some tips from your question three about how you are interested and apply them to your story. Make the examiner interested!

One sentence paragraph is a must. They are amazing especially if it's speech.

In terms of punctuation include the following and they can't limit you : ";" ":" "..." "," "." "-"

Also another important thing is technical accuracy. Make sure your spelling and use of punctuation is accurate. If you don't know how to use a semi-colon learn now - don't just chuck it in.

Write about 2 1/2 - 3 pages depending on your handwriting to go OT. Shorter stories keep the examiner engaged and means they don't end up falling asleep.

Always vary your sentence length. Learn to use commas don't have 14 line long sentences. And definitely don't let your work consist solely of simple sentences.

Your first paragraph should either be a character description or a setting.

Always end on a cliff hanger. They love those over at AQA I hear :biggrin:.

Use different connectives and change sentence starters regularly. Never use a connective more than once in an answer.

Things not to do

"It was just a dream" - don't even think about it - no cliche endings!

Write 40 simple sentences and call it a story.

Have speech without punctuation.

Brackets are seldom effective in this question - save them for the other paper when including facts,figures etc.

Use long words you can't spell to seem "sofistycayted"

A novel. No seriously, don't write too much.

No endings - it will usually be an opening of a story so let it be that. If you do write an ending make it sad and miserable it's easier to write about and attract emotion (IMO).

24 Marks for Content
16 Marks for Accuracy

So to conclude, 16 marks for accuracy. That is basically 16 marks SPAG :biggrin:. Make sure you use a wide range of vocabulary and use some nice punctuation and they should have no reason to deprive you of ANY marks. And in terms of content, language devices will save you. That should be an easy 30~ marks right? Well we'll see!

Thanks for reading! James

PS1 Good luck!

Spoiler

PS2 Grade boundaries for P1

Spoiler

PS3 Mr Bruff is KEY

Spoiler

Soo helpful!! Thank you so much!!

What should I base my story/ descriptive writing on if I write it beforehand?? It can be about anything in the exam.
Reply 10
Original post by princesslife

What should I base my story/ descriptive writing on if I write it beforehand?? It can be about anything in the exam.

Thats what i was wondering. I think we should base it on something vague so that whatever they give us on the exam, we can easily adapt it to the question. Let me know if you come up with an idea :wink:
Original post by King01
Thats what i was wondering. I think we should base it on something vague so that whatever they give us on the exam, we can easily adapt it to the question. Let me know if you come up with an idea :wink:

I have no idea because it has to be vague that it can fit anything. What about you? Do you have any ideas?
Reply 12
I have no idea because it has to be vague that it can fit anything. What about you? Do you have any ideas?

Still trying to think of something ;(
You got the exam on Tuesday aswell? Problem is we dont have much time so i will probably focus I practicing questions 1-4 then memorise a few nice phrases to use for q5 that can be applied to anything e.g. description of clouds, weather as that can be used for any creative writing
Original post by King01
Still trying to think of something ;(
You got the exam on Tuesday aswell? Problem is we dont have much time so i will probably focus I practicing questions 1-4 then memorise a few nice phrases to use for q5 that can be applied to anything e.g. description of clouds, weather as that can be used for any creative writing

Yeah. That's true but i'm a slow writer so i really want something partly prepared.
Reply 14
Yeah. That's true but i'm a slow writer so i really want something partly prepared.

Same here

the link doesnt work :frown:
Technically it doesn't have to be vague, if the story had to be about the weather then you could write a story abiut anything and just have one little part about the weather in your story
Reply 17
good luck
wow amazing
I just went and wrote about a dream...but I didn't say "it was a dream..oh no

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending