The Student Room Group

Bankaccount fraud

About 6 or 7 months ago my grandma was sick (she lives abroad) so my older brother used my bank account to get some money in order to help her out , to treat her healthcare it costs about 6 grand. Long story short , i think he must have borrowed money from friends or whatever and when he tried to cash out this money , my bank card got stuck in the atm machine.

I dont know if the money was legitimate or not but it sounds to me like he did some sort of AC fraud to get the money. Since then ive had to shut down my bank account and they bank told me i wasnt allowed to open an account with them again. Im a bit stuck because they didnt give me any details on the account through my own research i dont know if i have a CIFAS marker on the account or not.

To sum all this up im gonna be going to uni in a year or so and a bank account would come in handy. Im wondering if i can open a new account with any other bank and if this CIFAS marker will be an issue in the future

Btw my old bank was Natwest
Reply 1
Original post by Nate_001
About 6 or 7 months ago my grandma was sick (she lives abroad) so my older brother used my bank account to get some money in order to help her out , to treat her healthcare it costs about 6 grand. Long story short , i think he must have borrowed money from friends or whatever and when he tried to cash out this money , my bank card got stuck in the atm machine.

I dont know if the money was legitimate or not but it sounds to me like he did some sort of AC fraud to get the money. Since then ive had to shut down my bank account and they bank told me i wasnt allowed to open an account with them again. Im a bit stuck because they didnt give me any details on the account through my own research i dont know if i have a CIFAS marker on the account or not.

To sum all this up im gonna be going to uni in a year or so and a bank account would come in handy. Im wondering if i can open a new account with any other bank and if this CIFAS marker will be an issue in the future

You will need a bank account (or building society account) for your student maintenance loan.

You can open a "basic" account even if you have a CIFAS marker.
https://www.cifas.org.uk/services/payment-accounts-database

You can also contact credit reference agencies to see if you have a marker or adverse credit history:
https://www.cifas.org.uk/contact-us/subject-access-request
and
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/credit-rating-credit-score
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Thankyou for this , Do you know any banks that will willingly co-operate with me ?
Reply 3
Thankyou for this , Do you know any banks that will willingly co-operate with me ?

Pretty much all banks offer them, and MSE says this:
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/basic-bank-accounts
Original post by Doonesbury
You will need a bank account (or building society account) for your student maintenance loan.

You can open a "basic" account even if you have a CIFAS marker.
https://www.cifas.org.uk/services/payment-accounts-database

You can also contact credit reference agencies to see if you have a marker or adverse credit history:
https://www.cifas.org.uk/contact-us/subject-access-request
and
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/credit-rating-credit-score

Do you know where it shows the offering of a basic bank account covers those with cifas markers?
Reply 5
Alright i will check out banks this week to solve this issue , thanks for the help
Reply 6
Original post by 999tigger
Do you know where it shows the offering of a basic bank account covers those with cifas markers?

Hmm... good point - seems the 2 MSE preferred accounts don't allow applicants with a record of "fraud".

But still might be worth a go if OP hasn't been told they have a marker.
Original post by Doonesbury
Hmm... good point - seems the 2 MSE preferred accounts don't allow applicants with a record of "fraud".

But still might be worth a go if OP hasn't been told they have a marker.

Am not being picky, its just I could have been advising incorrectly, which is more important. I think the devil may be in the detail and that everyone has to be offered one, but they can withdraw it with fraud.

Am going shopping but it would mean reading the EU legislation zzzzz.

The quick answer is to contact CIFAS or the money advice service.

If your interpretation stood, then I could simply rely on the fact no one else would offer me an account, commit fraud, get a cifas and then move to the next account because someone somewhere had to offer me one.

There are a lot of these money mule threads fro a forum like this, so it is a genuine issue. I keep meaning to compile a list of accounts.

If your interpretation stands then it means high street banks who have been refusing due to cifas have been acting illegally.

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/basic-bank-accounts

I prefer to go shopping though. Your answer has given me some food for thought though.
Reply 8
Original post by 999tigger
Am not being picky, its just I could have been advising incorrectly, which is more important. I think the devil may be in the detail and that everyone has to be offered one, but they can withdraw it with fraud.

Am going shopping but it would mean reading the EU legislation zzzzz.

The quick answer is to contact CIFAS or the money advice service.

If your interpretation stood, then I could simply rely on the fact no one else would offer me an account, commit fraud, get a cifas and then move to the next account because someone somewhere had to offer me one.

There are a lot of these money mule threads fro a forum like this, so it is a genuine issue. I keep meaning to compile a list of accounts.

If your interpretation stands then it means high street banks who have been refusing due to cifas have been acting illegally.

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/basic-bank-accounts

I prefer to go shopping though. Your answer has given me some food for thought though.

Yep you're absolutely right :smile:

And Shopping > TSR :wink:
Reply 9

Brother lol. Sounds like account take over and attempt to transfer money to a mule account which was you. How come your brother doesn't have account ? And how come he tried getting 6k out of cash machine ? But just dont **** around with stories about sick grandmas. I'm not trying to imply anything here, but it appears to me that you are hoping to try it again, since if you are clear you can claim your account back, but it doesn't seem that you've tried.

Spanish Prisoner. It's amazing, how long some classics can live up.
Reply 10
i know it sounds ridiculous but i later found out he did some AC type **** on his account too and it got shut down thats why he used mine . Obviously at the time i didnt know that , and no im no trying to do anything i literally need an account for uni and stuff
Hey I did something stupid were I gave ppl my bank card were they loaded it with money and I couldn't cash it out because the bank refused it because they said they wanted proof where the money came from. Now I've learned my lesson and I don't wanna get in trouble because I've never got myself in trouble like this and I cancelled my card. Can I open a new account with the same bank or can open a new account in a bank (metro Bank was my bank)
Reply 12
hey,i literally went through something similar and would like to know what did you about this just to sort of find some guidance.I just need my bank account to get paid.
Original post by jazbudd
hey,i literally went through something similar and would like to know what did you about this just to sort of find some guidance.I just need my bank account to get paid.

Get a pre paid card if you have s cifas marker most don’t check for that the marker lasts for 6 years
Original post by delanie
Hey I did something stupid were I gave ppl my bank card were they loaded it with money and I couldn't cash it out because the bank refused it because they said they wanted proof where the money came from. Now I've learned my lesson and I don't wanna get in trouble because I've never got myself in trouble like this and I cancelled my card. Can I open a new account with the same bank or can open a new account in a bank (metro Bank was my bank)

If you have a cifas marker no high street banks would touch you try get a prepaid card or go to a credit union
Original post by delanie

Would love to ask you about this. Have sent you a DM

Latest

Trending

Trending