The Student Room Group

AQA A Level History: 2S The Making of Modern Britain, 1951–2007 7042/2S 13 Jun 2018

Exam thread for history depth paper

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Any predictions?
Enoch Powell's Rivers of Blood speech, Good Friday Agreement (or pretty much anything to do with Northern Ireland), potentially Major?
My teacher seems to think that race relations will come up. Her theory was that the exam board have in the past put things on that relate to modern day new stories, because Europe came up during the EU referendum etc.

Besides race relations, probably John Major because he hasn't come up yet. Maybe Northern Ireland too.

I feel way more prepared for Modern Britain than I do for Tsarist and Communist Russia (which I have on Wednesday :frown:)
Original post by tom.williams121
My teacher seems to think that race relations will come up. Her theory was that the exam board have in the past put things on that relate to modern day new stories, because Europe came up during the EU referendum etc.

Besides race relations, probably John Major because he hasn't come up yet. Maybe Northern Ireland too.

I feel way more prepared for Modern Britain than I do for Tsarist and Communist Russia (which I have on Wednesday :frown:)

In totally the same boat! And I have a double exam day on Wednesday, so I'll be in the exam hall for 5 hours....
Seriously hoping Major comes up. Other than that though, what else?
Original post by failinglyfe
Enoch Powell's Rivers of Blood speech, Good Friday Agreement (or pretty much anything to do with Northern Ireland), potentially Major?

What do you mean with Powell's speech? As in it is a potential source as one of the three?
Original post by JamesBarber2000
Seriously hoping Major comes up. Other than that though, what else?

I think major is likely as they haven't asked on that yet, same with NIR
Reply 8
In the additional spec paper immigration in the 60s is a source, with Powell’s River of Blood speech one of them so cannot see that being included.
Reply 9
Original post by Handinho
In the additional spec paper immigration in the 60s is a source, with Powell’s River of Blood speech one of them so cannot see that being included.

Why not?
I have a hunch it wil include these 3: 1) Thatcher Economy 2) The Troubles 3) Race Relations
Original post by GatewayDrug
I have a hunch it wil include these 3: 1) Thatcher Economy 2) The Troubles 3) Race Relations

I really hope so! I've been cramming Thatcher's and Major's economic policies. Need to go over NI and Blair but to what extent of race relations? I can only ever think of the Notting Hill Riots and couldn't image writing a full essay on it?
Hmm... I'd say general attitudes and legislation. So Race Relations Act '65, '68, '76 and Immigrations Acts to limit immigrations with obvs Rivers of Blood gaining 75% approval and subsequent 2nd Commonwealth Immigration Act in '68 over Kenyan Asians because of it. Blair race relations is easy as it's 2005 London terrorist attacks.
What I hate about the depth paper is that they can drill down as my teacher said on about anything... like Race Relations.
I hope to God Ireland doesn't come up though as I can never remember all the paramilataires, negotiators, etc xD
Hmm... I'd say general attitudes and legislation. So Race Relations Act '65, '68, '76 and Immigrations Acts to limit immigrations with obvs Rivers of Blood gaining 75% approval and subsequent 2nd Commonwealth Immigration Act in '68 over Kenyan Asians because of it. Blair race relations is easy as it's 2005 London terrorist attacks.
What I hate about the depth paper is that they can drill down as my teacher said on about anything... like Race Relations.
I hope to God Ireland doesn't come up though as I can never remember all the paramilataires, negotiators, etc xD

Thanks so much :smile: I'm going to memorise some statistics as well. Found that 9/10 objected to mixed-race marriages in a 1965 survey. Crazy to think about how much society has changed. Hope your exam goes well!
Original post by powerson12
Thanks so much :smile: I'm going to memorise some statistics as well. Found that 9/10 objected to mixed-race marriages in a 1965 survey. Crazy to think about how much society has changed. Hope your exam goes well!

9/10... scary stuff. Makes it all the better for remembering though. Fingers crossed for tomorrow and best of luck to you too!! ^_^
Reply 15

I find NI troubles so difficult to remember as well !! No matter how many times i go over it. Hope they aren't harsh tomorrow
I hope so too! Am worried they will be though as the Breadth paper which I did, Gemrany Political Stability, was easy. My teacher has also said the grade boundaries are ridiculaously low this year and that by virtue of doing Hisotry you've already passed it as 35 is a E I think xD. Way I've been trying to remeber NI is just revising all the 6 periods together than waiting to cover all of the period with Politics, Economics, etc, say. Helps in noticing change and continuity as well. Good luck!!
Reply 17
I hope so too! Am worried they will be though as the Breadth paper which I did, Gemrany Political Stability, was easy. My teacher has also said the grade boundaries are ridiculaously low this year and that by virtue of doing Hisotry you've already passed it as 35 is a E I think xD. Way I've been trying to remeber NI is just revising all the 6 periods together than waiting to cover all of the period with Politics, Economics, etc, say. Helps in noticing change and continuity as well. Good luck!!

Wow that's crazy! Yep I think I will try to do the same kind of thing, just remembering key events and date like Bloody Sunday etc. Thanks, hope it goes well for you too!!
Heath's government is also predicted by my teacher as it hasn't ever really come up??

Why do you feel like these 3 will come up?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending