The Student Room Group

How much savings do you have?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Reue
I have a full time job, plus have another £20-£30k in additional income.

Also my pension & shares have all benefited from investment growth.

How do you make £20-30k in aidditional income?
Reply 81
Original post by Trapz99
How do you make £20-30k in aidditional income?

Affiliate marketing and professional gambler
Original post by 2scotty
Everyone seems to have a lot more than me.

I'm 23, and have £8350.

Should I be saving more? Thing is, as much as I love saving, I feel like I want to spend a bit on something. I don't spend much on me.

Thank you

£0
What do people think of buying into funds? Some great track records for delivering 10% growth a year. Neil Woodford one of most popular UK funds, but has not performed well in past couple of years. Now the time to back his equity fund?
Original post by mattymoo432
What do people think of buying into funds? Some great track records for delivering 10% growth a year. Neil Woodford one of most popular UK funds, but has not performed well in past couple of years. Now the time to back his equity fund?

Passive index trackers are the best option for the majority of people.

Most active funds have higher management costs and fail to deliver higher returns over time. Unfortunately most people are swayed by recency bias when choosing actively managed funds, like Woodfords.

Past performance is not a guarantee of future return!
I'm 18 and have £4800 in my current account. Not really saving much at the moment because of my wage and car expenses.
Reply 86
Original post by ch0c0h01ic
Most active funds have higher management costs and fail to deliver higher returns over time.

But some do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 87
i think i have 82p in my bank account 💸💸💸💸
Original post by Doonesbury

Sure.

However the vast majority do not, especially when compared to the market average over the long term (Woodford being a prime example).

Ironically Woodford's funds were considered one of the exceptions to the rule!
Reply 89
Sure.

However the vast majority do not, especially when compared to the market average over the long term (Woodford being a prime example).

Yep, but not all :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 90
Yep, but not all :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which won't?
Reply 91
Original post by Quady
Which won't?

Top secret... If I tell you I'd have to kill you.

And of course past performance is no guarantee of future earnings, etc etc...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Passive index trackers are the best option for the majority of people.

Most active funds have higher management costs and fail to deliver higher returns over time. Unfortunately most people are swayed by recency bias when choosing actively managed funds, like Woodfords.

Past performance is not a guarantee of future return!

Is a passive index tracker like the FTSE 100? How do they do better *normally*?
I currently have 79p
Top secret... If I tell you I'd have to kill you.

And of course past performance is no guarantee of future earnings, etc etc...

Posted from TSR Mobile

So would you say it’s a good idea to have active funds such as Lindsell and Woodford in there. Perhaps diversified amongst 10 different active funds?
Reply 95
So would you say it’s a good idea to have active funds such as Lindsell and Woodford in there. Perhaps diversified amongst 10 different active funds?

Depends on how much you are investing, and why. But no I'm not advocating for Woodford or anyone in particular.
Depends on how much you are investing, and why. But no I'm not advocating for Woodford or anyone in particular.

Thats a wishy washy answer. I’m not gonna Sue you if they don’t do well. Just interested to know your thoughts and then I’ll do my own research
Reply 97
Thats a wishy washy answer. I’m not gonna Sue you if they don’t do well. Just interested to know your thoughts and then I’ll do my own research

You have my thoughts :smile:
You have my thoughts :smile:

You said depends on how much I’m investing. Ok let’s say £10,000. Your thoughts?
Reply 99
You said depends on how much I’m investing. Ok let’s say £10,000. Your thoughts?

I'm not picking stocks for you, but 10 active funds in £10k is probably too many. I'd also suggest investment trusts rather than funds.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending