The Student Room Group

Entropy question

The specification says:
understand why entropy changes occur during changes of state.
Is this simply because the atoms move more?? less IM forces
Yep that's correct. As they're more far apart - They're more disordered.
I'm going to answer this assuming you're an A-Level Chem student.

Entropy is dependent on the current state the atoms/molecules are.

The more "free" from bonds the atoms are, the greater the entropy.
So entropy increases going from Solid>Liquid>Gas, gases having the highest entropy.

When looking at a question asking whether entropy increases, if the reactants go from a solid to a liquid, entropy has increased.
If the reactants and products are in the same state, the side with the most moles will have a higher entropy.

I hope this is clear.
Entropy is defined (In my own words) The degree of randomness in atoms/molecules, solids having strong bonds holding the atoms in place, liquid having less bonds but are able to flow on and around each other and gases having weak intermolecular forces between it's constituents. Gases being the most random and so having the highest entropy.

Original post by Invective
I'm going to answer this assuming you're an A-Level Chem student.

Entropy is dependent on the current state the atoms/molecules are.

The more "free" from bonds the atoms are, the greater the entropy.
So entropy increases going from Solid>Liquid>Gas, gases having the highest entropy.

When looking at a question asking whether entropy increases, if the reactants go from a solid to a liquid, entropy has increased.
If the reactants and products are in the same state, the side with the most moles will have a higher entropy.

I hope this is clear.
Reply 4
Original post by Invective
Entropy is defined (In my own words) The degree of randomness in atoms/molecules, solids having strong bonds holding the atoms in place, liquid having less bonds but are able to flow on and around each other and gases having weak intermolecular forces between it's constituents. Gases being the most random and so having the highest entropy.

thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest