The Student Room Group

AQA AS-Level Computer Science 7516/1, 7516/2 - 4th/8th June 2018 Exam Thread

This is the exam thread for AQA AS-Level Computer Science

As this specification was only first examined in 2016 (I was the first year to sit it :tongue:), there aren't many specific resources. However, the papers and resources from the old specification can be re-used.

I'll link a few useful pages below. For the AS, only part of the old-spec COMP1 is useful for revision (the part where it doesn't rely on the preliminary material). Most of COMP2 is useful, but it does contain some A-Level stuff so skip anything you don't recognise :borat:

----------------------------------------------------

Resources (Click):

Specification

New Specification Papers and Specimen Papers

COMP1 and COMP2 Papers (Old Specification)

Semi-complete WikiBooks page for the new specification

----------------------------------------------------

Tips:

Make sure you familiarise yourself with the preliminary material. Your teacher should have distributed them by now.

Be familiar with data structures and how to implement them in your programming language of choice.

TEST YOUR CODE!

Re-read the question!
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Now feel free to discuss/talk about the subject below :tongue:

I know how rubbish the 'official' Bob Reeves textbook is :frown:
Any tips for speed during paper 1? I've never been able to finish the last 2 questions from my mock and pre-mock (although it's not as if we studied the preliminary material in detail). I can't believe we have to print out the answer sheet during the 1h and 45 mins time!
Reply 3
Original post by FuryBall
Any tips for speed during paper 1? I've never been able to finish the last 2 questions from my mock and pre-mock (although it's not as if we studied the preliminary material in detail). I can't believe we have to print out the answer sheet during the 1h and 45 mins time!

All down to studying the preliminary material and doing the practice questions I'm afraid!

Ask your teacher to purchase the ZigZag Preliminary Material resources for your class. They're worth every penny.
Original post by Blue_Cow
All down to studying the preliminary material and doing the practice questions I'm afraid!

Ask your teacher to purchase the ZigZag Preliminary Material resources for your class. They're worth every penny.

hay could you send me the paper 2?
Reply 5
Original post by postman5643
hay could you send me the paper 2?

I cannot. Sorry.
I swear there is no AS now
Reply 7
Original post by Hammad(214508)
I swear there is no AS now

There is. It just doesn't count towards your final A-Level grade.
What is the preliminary material this year? I never so it
Original post by Blue_Cow

Hi - you mention the ZigZag Preliminary Material - what sort of things are included in the pack? What makes them so useful? Thanks!
Reply 10
Original post by LongLostMarbles
Hi - you mention the ZigZag Preliminary Material - what sort of things are included in the pack? What makes them so useful? Thanks!

They contain a complete breakdown of the code w/ diagrams and also explanations for all of the methods. They also contain practice questions with full code solutions too.
Hey sorry i'm a bit late to the party :thumbsup:

This looks like a really useful exam thread! I've added it to our big list of exam threads here where you can find helpful threads for all the exams you're doing. If you want to make any more exam threads, let me know the link and I can add it in as well!

Happy revising! :groovy:
How is everyone feeling for tomorrow?
How is everyone feeling for tomorrow?

Terrified Mate, I feel like I just need to study the Perlim Material
Original post by NoValidName
Terrified Mate, I feel like I just need to study the Perlim Material

How much prep have you done? And what have you done?
How much prep have you done? And what have you done?

I went on AQA and went through a few questions. Mostly on FSM because I don't really understand it. I did some trace tables then some simple questions like "what is a variable" and "what is a library". But because the exam is tomorrow, I'm gonna go through the skeleton code and just write as many comments on it as possible. What bout you?
Original post by NoValidName
I went on AQA and went through a few questions. Mostly on FSM because I don't really understand it. I did some trace tables then some simple questions like "what is a variable" and "what is a library". But because the exam is tomorrow, I'm gonna go through the skeleton code and just write as many comments on it as possible. What bout you?

Ive just been solving potential questions, and memorizing the method (I understand the code pretty well now). Yeah so I’m gonna go through some of the recent papers and practice trace tables.
Reply 17
Ive just been solving potential questions, and memorizing the method (I understand the code pretty well now). Yeah so I’m gonna go through some of the recent papers and practice trace tables.

Any predictions on what the questions could be , left this till last min any help would be appreciated!
What is likely to be in paper 1 apart from the skeleton code stuff?
The last few papers I found had a load of algorithm stuff and I am not sure what to revise for tomorrow
Original post by LittleArchiver
What is likely to be in paper 1 apart from the skeleton code stuff?
The last few papers I found had a load of algorithm stuff and I am not sure what to revise for tomorrow

Trace tables come up fairly often

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending