The Student Room Group

electrochemical cells question

the spec says:
understand the application of electrode potentials to storage cells. I don't get this is it just they are used in storage cells? I have no idea how much/how little is supposed to know.
It also says understand why a reference electrode is necessary. I think I understand this but wouldn't know how to write a 3 marker on it?
which exam board is this??
Reply 2
Original post by sarahhh16
which exam board is this??

Edexcel
sorry I do AQA :frown:
You can work out the voltage of a storage cell by using the electeode potentials of the substances used in the cell.

For the three marker: just say it allows you to compare any electrode potential’s value with others or something?
Reply 5
Original post by BazTheZaz
You can work out the voltage of a storage cell by using the electeode potentials of the substances used in the cell.

For the three marker: just say it allows you to compare any electrode potential’s value with others or something?

hmm thanks, so what is a storage cell just two electrodes attached?
Original post by yusyus
hmm thanks, so what is a storage cell just two electrodes attached?

Yeah for the purposes of our exam just think of it as an electrochemical cell.
Reply 7
Yeah for the purposes of our exam just think of it as an electrochemical cell.

alright - thanks are you doing edexcel aswell?
Original post by yusyus
alright - thanks are you doing edexcel aswell?

Yes mate. Only two days now :smile:
Reply 9
Yes mate. Only two days now :smile:

yeah and I got physics tommorow. How are you revising now. Ive done all the papers for this spec and am just going through the spec again.
Also what are you aiming for (im hoping for an A* but grade boundaries are high so idk)
Original post by yusyus
yeah and I got physics tommorow. How are you revising now. Ive done all the papers for this spec and am just going through the spec again.
Also what are you aiming for (im hoping for an A* but grade boundaries are high so idk)

Revising the same as you, just reading through my revisiin guide, me and a friend make questions for each other to keep us focused.

I only need a B (gotta love contextual offers) so I’m not massively bothered past that. Predicted an A* but I’ll probably end up with an A or maybe a B.

I wouldn’t say grade boundaries are high, it was 248/300 for an A* overall last year. Here’s the boundaries: https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/Support/Grade-boundaries/A-level/1706-a-level-grade-boundaries-v3.pdf

Scroll down to new spec 9CH0 Chemistry
Reply 11
Revising the same as you, just reading through my revisiin guide, me and a friend make questions for each other to keep us focused.

I only need a B (gotta love contextual offers) so I’m not massively bothered past that. Predicted an A* but I’ll probably end up with an A or maybe a B.

I wouldn’t say grade boundaries are high, it was 248/300 for an A* overall last year. Here’s the boundaries: https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/Support/Grade-boundaries/A-level/1706-a-level-grade-boundaries-v3.pdf

Scroll down to new spec 9CH0 Chemistry

is the revision guide good? I lost mine last year so just been using chemrevise.
I mean yeah they aren't that high but I feel like its pretty hard to get full marks on each question. you can get what the question asks but you might miss the marks.
Im probably looking at it compared to physics as I find them both to be about the same difficulty but physics grade boundaries are a lot lower
Original post by yusyus
is the revision guide good? I lost mine last year so just been using chemrevise.
I mean yeah they aren't that high but I feel like its pretty hard to get full marks on each question. you can get what the question asks but you might miss the marks.
Im probably looking at it compared to physics as I find them both to be about the same difficulty but physics grade boundaries are a lot lower

Put it this way, me and my friends call it ‘the bible.’ Super helpful. I don’t think the mark schemes are too pernickety, not as bad as what I’ve heard about Biology.
Reply 13
Put it this way, me and my friends call it ‘the bible.’ Super helpful. I don’t think the mark schemes are too pernickety, not as bad as what I’ve heard about Biology.

I guess ill try and find one on monday at school. Yeah its not as bad as biology but since theres so much content I sometimes don't know what to include for some questions. I find the calculations fine its more the explanations
Reply 14
1`.PNG
Reply 15
How many elecrtons are being transfered when you use deltaG=-NFE?

Quick Reply

Latest