The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

King's vs. LSE

Hi everyone. I'm stuck deciding between Political Economy at King's, and Government and Economics at LSE. Can anyone from either university feed back about teaching quality, and other aspects of university life? The courses look quite similar despite the different names.

Scroll to see replies

Based on name alone I'd pick LSE. Will offer you more opportunities.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
lse is the best social science uni in the world!!!!! unless you want all your friends to violate you apply to lse.
Reply 3
Both are good unis.

However, King’s is (slightly) more well-known internationally due to it tops among the 50 best institutions in the four more recognized international rankings (QS, THE, Shangai and US education), whereas LSE just appear in QS and THE Top 50, and just overtake King’s in THE.

I’m terms of local rankings in U.K., LSE usually appear in better position.
Original post by Leeholl
Both are good unis.

However, King’s is (slightly) more well-known internationally due to it tops among the 50 best institutions in the four more recognized international rankings (QS, THE, Shangai and US education), whereas LSE just appear in QS and THE Top 50, and just overtake King’s in THE.

I’m terms of local rankings in U.K., LSE usually appear in better position.

That’s not true at all, LSE is much better known internationally than King’s is, this is common knowledge. LSE is ranked second in the world for social sciences in QS, but of course LSE isn’t ranked 11th in the world anymore in QS (although still 23rd in THE) since they changed the methodology, but rankings aren’t so relevant anyways. In terms of international and national reputation, LSE>>>King’s.

This is even more true for Economics related courses.
Reply 5
Original post by amineamine2
That’s not true at all, LSE is much better known internationally than King’s is, this is common knowledge. LSE is ranked second in the world for social sciences in QS, but of course LSE isn’t ranked 11th in the world anymore in QS (although still 23rd in THE) since they changed the methodology, but rankings aren’t so relevant anyways. In terms of international and national reputation, LSE>>>King’s.

This is even more true for Economics related courses.

You’are fighting against facts, overall LSE is way too less estimated than King’s College internationally. Check US Education Global Ranking and you’ll not find LSE even in top 100! In Shanghai ranking it’s just in 75th... both are recognised rankings by QS and THE.

But you’re right about its prestigious in U.K.

LSE is undoubtedly a very good uni, but (maybe for its limited range of subjects) is less famous internationally, except for those who have interest in economics related courses and Social Science/Law/IR.

Regarding rankings, it’s impossible that you really think they don’t matter! Of course, their importance should be criticised, but they’re becoming the major criteria worldwide for International unis.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Leeholl
You’are fighting against facts, overall LSE is way too less estimated than King’s College internationally. Check US Education Global Ranking and you’ll not find LSE even in top 100! In Shanghai ranking it’s just in 75th... both are recognised rankings by QS and THE.

LSE is undoubtedly a very good uni, but (maybe for its limited range of subjects) is less famous internationally, except for those who have interest in economics related courses and Social Science/Law/IR.

Regarding rankings, it’s impossible that you really think they don’t matter! Of course, their importance should be criticised, but they’re becoming the major criteria worldwide for International unis.

Nah, LSE has a better international reputation. You're putting too faith in cherry-picked league tables with questionable methodologies. LSE students are generally a higher calibre too. I don't think international views are going to be massively distorted from ours.
Original post by Leeholl

For the limited range of subjects it does, LSE is far more reputable internationally.

On certain league tables it falls down compared to Kings, because of the methodologies used that favour universities that offer a wider range of subjects including sciences. For example, they measure what percentage of the best received papers came from each university. As LSE does no sciences, and has less than a third of the student/faculty numbers that Kings has, it obviously will not have as many papers among the top received papers, and thus will fall down on this indicator.

This is not, however, an accurate reflection of LSE's prestige within the limited range of subjects that it actually offers. Internationally, an LSE economics/politics degree far outranks a Kings one. That's why LSE is second in the world for social sciences after Harvard.

When you look at subject-specific rankings, LSE will always outrank Kings.
(edited 5 years ago)
LSE is world renowned for it's Social Sciences.

Also, if you look at the Complete University Guide LSE ranks higher, lower acceptance rate and overrall a more respected university for Government.

They are both amazing institutions, but for your subject LSE seems better.
Reply 9
Original post by hanley9
Nah, LSE has a better international reputation. You're putting too faith in cherry-picked league tables with questionable methodologies. LSE students are generally a higher calibre too. I don't think international views are going to be massively distorted from ours.

Yes,International views are going to be massively distort from U.K. views... looking at local rankings (as the Guardian and Complete Guide) and comparing it with those most prestigious international rankings will make you realised the huge difference.

Of course, LSE courses are prestigious everywhere, there's no doubt. Maybe the problem is that LSE is too shorter than King’s, so Internationally less famous overall.
Original post by Leeholl
Yes,International views are going to be massively distort from U.K. views... looking at local rankings (as the Guardian and Complete Guide) and comparing it with those most prestigious international rankings will make you realised the huge difference.

Of course, LSE courses are prestigious everywhere, there's no doubt. Maybe the problem is that LSE is too shorter than King’s, so Internationally less famous overall.

Its not less famous, it just appears lower in the rankings because it only offers narrow set of subjects. The league table is misleading. Ranking =/= reputation.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by LeapingLucy
For the limited range of subjects it does, LSE is far more reputable internationally.

On certain league tables it falls down compared to Kings, because of the methodologies used that favour universities that offer a wider range of subjects including sciences. For example, they measure what percentage of the best received papers came from each university. As LSE does no sciences, and has less than a third of the student/faculty numbers that Kings has, it obviously will not have as many papers among the top received papers, and thus will fall down on this indicator.

This is not, however, an accurate reflection of LSE's prestige within the limited range of subjects that it actually offers. Internationally, an LSE economics/politics degree far outranks a Kings one. That's why LSE is second in the world for social sciences after Harvard.

When you look at subject-specific rankings, LSE will always outrank Kings.

Yes, overall King’s is way too more famous than LSE internationally, even though some LSE subjects are even more prestigious than Oxford, Cambridge, Stanford, MIT ones.
Original post by Leeholl
Yes, overall King’s is way too more famous than LSE internationally, even though some LSE subjects are even more prestigious than Oxford, Cambridge, Stanford, MIT ones.

No one goes to King's over LSE (if they have the choice) for a Social Science subject.

Also, everyone I know abroad knows LSE, Oxbridge, UCL and Durham.
Original post by Leeholl

What makes you think the things you do? Where is this fame metric you keep pulling out your arse?
At this point I think you're trolling, so I'm gonna dip from this conversation.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Leeholl

I'm sorry, but you're completely wrong.

The fact that LSE doesn't offer science subjects and isn't famous in the science industries is completely irrelevant.

Within the worlds of politics, government, economics, finance, banking and social studies - the worlds that LSE students are actually interested in - LSE is far more famous and reputable than Kings, and an LSE degree will open far more doors into these worlds.
Original post by LeapingLucy
I'm sorry, but you're completely wrong.

The fact that LSE doesn't offer science subjects and isn't famous in the science industries is completely irrelevant.

Within the worlds of politics, government, economics, finance, banking and social studies - the worlds that LSE students are actually interested in - LSE is far more famous and reputable than Kings, and an LSE degree will open far more doors into these worlds.

It’s not too far more doors opened...

- Employability: LSE 90% KCL 85% UCL 60% (although this seems oddly low and wouldn't trust this figure) - employment 6 months after graduation
- How well the course is delivered. KCL 85% LSE 82% UCL 79% - course satisfaction
- How helpful lecturers are. LSE 90% UCL 86% KCL 80% - average between how interesting and helpful lecturers were
- How demanding/tough the course is. It's law - it's hard everywhere!
- How good the respective law societies are. All have law societies - have heard LSE has bad societies and UCL and KCL have better rep for this
- And anything else you might think I would find useful. No matter where you go, they're all v good options
All stats from Unistats
Original post by Leeholl

- Employability: LSE 90% KCL 85% UCL 60% (although this seems oddly low and wouldn't trust this figure) - employment 6 months after graduation
- How well the course is delivered. KCL 85% LSE 82% UCL 79% - course satisfaction
- How helpful lecturers are. LSE 90% UCL 86% KCL 80% - average between how interesting and helpful lecturers were
- How good the respective law societies are. All have law societies - have heard LSE has bad societies and UCL and KCL have better rep for this
- And anything else you might think I would find useful. No matter where you go, they're all v good options
All stats from Unistats

Percentage employed is not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the quality of the job.

In my time at LSE I've been to several first year days at London magic/silver circle law firms where they only inivited LSE and UCL students. Kings didn't get a look in.
Original post by Leeholl

All stats from Unistats

What does this prove? Quality of grad jobs will be much better at LSE anyway, so even though King's is only 5 points behind, the quality of jobs will be lower. King's is a great uni, don't get me wrong, but its a clear step down from LSE, in domestic and international reputation.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Leeholl

All stats from Unistats

Or take the Bank of England's Monetary Policy Committee - at least a third of the members have studied/taught at LSE.
@LeeHoll Ignore these guys, they clearly don't understand that you are simply sharing your unbiased opinion here..

So, what course are you studying at Kings? :rofl:
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending