Edexcel A-level Geography- 4th June 2018 Paper

How's everyone feeling?????

Scroll to see replies

shite
Don't know what to expect
Reply 3
Original post by olliebattle
shite

me too, i revised all i could but i feel like thats still not enough when it comes to this crap spec
Reply 4
Original post by flowerglobe
me too, i revised all i could but i feel like thats still not enough when it comes to this crap spec

TBH i think that the grade boundaries will be extremely low, due to the fact that it is the first year of this new A level.
We shall see.
Reply 5
I'm honestly so nervous... i dont know what to do, i think i'll be revising all night cause even with the amount of revision i've don i still feel as if i dont know anything
Reply 6
Original post by Easosos1
TBH i think that the grade boundaries will be extremely low, due to the fact that it is the first year of this new A level.
We shall see.

Do you think the paper will be difficult??
Reply 7
Original post by romivl
Do you think the paper will be difficult??

I think they will keep the paper relatively simple this year. You have to remember that the grade boundaries are bound to be low and you will have coursework as well. I mean my class have consistently done badly in every exam, but that was by the older grade boundaries from the previous specification.
Whatever happens we'll be fine :-)
Reply 8
Thanks! This made me feel a bit better! Wish you good luck
I think they will keep the paper relatively simple this year. You have to remember that the grade boundaries are bound to be low and you will have coursework as well. I mean my class have consistently done badly in every exam, but that was by the older grade boundaries from the previous specification.
Whatever happens we'll be fine :-)
I have done next to no revision due to a severe procrastination problem coupled with stress and mental health issues as well as my general disdain for the subject.

On the bright side, I've got an unconditional offer but that still requires me to achieve 2 A levels at least E grade and I'm now scared that I won't even achieve that despite being a straight A student in the glory days of GCSE.

TLDR: I'm stressing my balls off
Reply 10
Guys what would you answer for this question??
Assess the importance of governance in the successful management of tectonic mega-disasters. (12)
Original post by romivl
I'm honestly so nervous... i dont know what to do, i think i'll be revising all night cause even with the amount of revision i've don i still feel as if i dont know anything

Just sleep. It's a much better idea, especially if you've already revised a lot. Nobody feels like they know anything with this spec.
Original post by romivl
Assess the importance of governance in the successful management of tectonic mega-disasters. (12)

Okay So first I'd start with a definition of a megadisaster.
UN - 20,000 deaths or a significant reduction in GDP.

Then I'd argue why it is good. So for instance it modifies vulnerability, through education which can help local community resilience, people can learn about how to aptly prepare. For example by not building houses near each other. They can also learn to seek open land with little obstacles that would otherwise increase harm, thus increasing the likelihood of illness and death. This can be seen in Izmits 1999 earthquake.
Then I'd talk about how prediction can help reduce the proportion of those at risk. (Although the initial hazard is hard to predict, there is no reason why the secondary tsunami and landsliding cant be) -for this i would use the examples of Christchurch and Tohoku.

Finally the counter argument would look into the fact that scale of the hazard is often too large and little can be done to stop some things.Tohoku is a good example of this.
Original post by romivl

lol thats like the generic question they always ask

u basically talk about how governance (which is any kind of way people help reduce the impacts of a tectonic event not just the government ) has meant that the impacts of a disaster has been lessened and as a counter you talk about how the actual size of the disaster was high but the impacts were not as high

u have to compare two different tectonic events and the best one to do is Haiti vs Japan because Japan's earthquake magnitude was much higher but the death toll was much less

structure i guess would be

P1-how governance has helped-talk about japan
P2-how a lack of governance has bad effects-talk about haiti
p3-could add how although governance is important the actual hazard event plays a bigger role

i dunno if that helps
Reply 14
Original post by flowerglobe
lol thats like the generic question they always ask

u basically talk about how governance (which is any kind of way people help reduce the impacts of a tectonic event not just the government ) has meant that the impacts of a disaster has been lessened and as a counter you talk about how the actual size of the disaster was high but the impacts were not as high

u have to compare two different tectonic events and the best one to do is Haiti vs Japan because Japan's earthquake magnitude was much higher but the death toll was much less

structure i guess would be

P1-how governance has helped-talk about japan
P2-how a lack of governance has bad effects-talk about haiti
p3-could add how although governance is important the actual hazard event plays a bigger role

i dunno if that helps

thanks a lot, that helped me
Reply 15
Okay So first I'd start with a definition of a megadisaster.
UN - 20,000 deaths or a significant reduction in GDP.

Then I'd argue why it is good. So for instance it modifies vulnerability, through education which can help local community resilience, people can learn about how to aptly prepare. For example by not building houses near each other. They can also learn to seek open land with little obstacles that would otherwise increase harm, thus increasing the likelihood of illness and death. This can be seen in Izmits 1999 earthquake.
Then I'd talk about how prediction can help reduce the proportion of those at risk. (Although the initial hazard is hard to predict, there is no reason why the secondary tsunami and landsliding cant be) -for this i would use the examples of Christchurch and Tohoku.

Finally the counter argument would look into the fact that scale of the hazard is often too large and little can be done to stop some things.Tohoku is a good example of this.

Thanks for the help!
Feeling confident for physical but less for human on Friday :smile:
Original post by romivl

Don't forget that tectonics makes up a really small part of this paper. I think it's like 16 marks so don't focus your revision on it too much.
Reply 18
Original post by Covert Banana
Don't forget that tectonics makes up a really small part of this paper. I think it's like 16 marks so don't focus your revision on it too much.

Alright, I'm starting to go over carbon and water cycle now. Hopefully i'll finish them quickly
Is there any point revising skills like Chi Squared,Spearmens Rank we don't need to right?

Also the one thing on coasts that I am stuck on is vegetation. How does vegetation form a salt marsh and a sand dune etc.. Can anyone help :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending