The Student Room Group

History exam advice?

So History is tomorrow... any exam advice? Good words to use, general tips etc...
start with the bigger questions. You do not want to run out of time for them no matter what.
Reply 2
Original post by JustSomeRandomer
start with the bigger questions. You do not want to run out of time for them no matter what.

Yeah, I am definitely doing that tomorrow. I ran out of time in my mock because I did the paper chronologically, and missed a 4 marker that dropped me down a whole grade
Original post by elsaruus
Yeah, I am definitely doing that tomorrow. I ran out of time in my mock because I did the paper chronologically, and missed a 4 marker that dropped me down a whole grade

also with the 4 markers, you need 3 sentences max. That should time 4 mins max. Do not fall into the trap of spending 10 minutes on them doing full-blown paragraphs otherwise, that will screw you over badly.
Reply 4
Original post by JustSomeRandomer
also with the 4 markers, you need 3 sentences max. That should time 4 mins max. Do not fall into the trap of spending 10 minutes on them doing full-blown paragraphs otherwise, that will screw you over badly.

annotate dates and knowledge around the question so you know what to write about
Reply 6
i think you should split up the time because starting with the big questions doesn't always help. because you could get easy marks from the small ones too. i think dont be scared to oppose what the statement says. the examiner will read 100 times the same thing but if you are different in ur way of saying it they will read with more interest and hopefully award more marks
Reply 7
So History is tomorrow... any exam advice? Good words to use, general tips etc...

GCSE or A-Level and what exam board?
also when they give you general points to write about you must not only write about them you have to add your own knowledge
Reply 9
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
GCSE or A-Level and what exam board?
GCSE, and edexcel
GCSE, and edexcel

The last point before I go on too much - please do not confuse the great plague with the black death. Many people will do this so please please please do not fall into this trap.
Reply 11
GCSE, and edexcel

Ah okay.

I recommend that you quickly read the following:
https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/GCSE/History/2016/Teaching%20and%20learning%20materials/gcse-9-1-history-assessment-guide.pdf
https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/GCSE/History/2016/Teaching%20and%20learning%20materials/GCSE_History_Sources_and_interpretations_guide.pdf

As it gives you exam board specific details about what the questions will be like and what they expect from you.

Take it easy tomorrow, try not to stress and if you've been doing your revision it should pay dividends in the end. Good luck. :smile:
Reply 12
Ah okay.

I recommend that you quickly read the following:
https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/GCSE/History/2016/Teaching%20and%20learning%20materials/gcse-9-1-history-assessment-guide.pdf
https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/GCSE/History/2016/Teaching%20and%20learning%20materials/GCSE_History_Sources_and_interpretations_guide.pdf

As it gives you exam board specific details about what the questions will be like and what they expect from you.

Take it easy tomorrow, try not to stress and if you've been doing your revision it should pay dividends in the end. Good luck. :smile:

Thanks
Reply 13
Thanks

NP :smile:
moving to the history forum:smile: good luck with the gcse tomorrow!
Reply 15
Original post by entertainmyfaith
moving to the history forum:smile: good luck with the gcse tomorrow!

Thanks for doing that. Had I noticed, I would've moved it myself :P
Thanks for doing that. Had I noticed, I would've moved it myself :P

:thumbsup: it's fine, we all forget sometimes:lol:
Reply 17
:thumbsup: it's fine, we all forget sometimes:lol:

Too busy procrastinating by offering invaluable History advice/support :biggrin:

Spoiler

Too busy procrastinating by offering invaluable History advice/support :biggrin:

Spoiler

advice is always good:yep:
are you doing a-levels?:redface:
Reply 19
advice is always good:yep:
are you doing a-levels?:redface:

Yep Year 12 - not being entered for AS so I have end of year mocks instead and I feel like :ahhhhh::ahhhhh::ahhhhh:for Economics.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending