The Student Room Group

The 4 poem method - GCSE AQA conflict poetry 2018

GCSE EDIT: THEY DID OZYMANDIAS! Luckily I had London memorised - how did you guys find it? I also got a 9 from my method :biggrin:

Hey guys,

So I'm having a late mock for Lit paper 2 on Feb 23rd, and I devised a way to do the poetry bit, by only having to learn four poems. The great thing is that these four poems together compare with every other poem in the whole cluster! So just learn maybe 5-6 key quotes from these four poems, along with the main ideas, and you'll be set.

EDIT : I've got my results back, and I got 27/30 for the poetry comparison section, resulting in a grade 8 overall, so I'm happy!

Of course, go over the other poems too, so that it's easy to analyse them in the exam, when it's given to you.

Key: Main Poem, Other Poem, Theme.

I'm learning Bayonet Charge, Poppies, London and Kamikaze. These 4 main poems compare with each other too, so you only need these 4, no matter what poem is given to you in the actual exam.

Bayonet Charge compares with: Exposure, Charge of the Light Brigade, Remains, Poppies and Kamikaze. The themes connecting all of these poems are Reality of Conflict, Effects of Conflict, and Individual Experience.

Poppies compares with: London (Loss and Absence) and Bayonet Charge. It also compares with Kamikaze, Remains and War Photographer for 3 same themes - Effect of Conflict, Memory, and Individual Experience.

London compares with: Poppies, Checking Out Me History (Power of Humans, Anger), My Last Duchess (Abuse of Power), and The Prelude (Individual Experiences). It may also compare with Storm on the Island if you interpret the poems as being about political conflict, but this is quite hard to do. It compares with Ozymandias for Abuse of Power.

Kamikaze compares with: Poppies, The Prelude (Power of Nature, Fear, Individual Experiences), Charge of the Light Brigade (common with Bayonet Charge), and Storm on the Island (Power of Nature).

Hope this helped, and good luck for the actual GCSEs! :wink2:
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

but how can you compare it to the other poems if you don't know the quotes for them?
Original post by entertainmyfaith
but how can you compare it to the other poems if you don't know the quotes for them?

There will be one poem printed on the exam paper. I think the idea is that whatever that poem might be, one of the four listed above will fit the comparison question.
Original post by Lit teacher
There will be one poem printed on the exam paper. I think the idea is that whatever that poem might be, one of the four listed above will fit the comparison question.

ah, that makes sense- thank you :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Lit teacher

Precisely.
you missed out ozymandias on this post- i might've compared it to london
Reply 6
Original post by entertainmyfaith
you missed out ozymandias on this post- i might've compared it to london

Ah. Thanks!

But the thing is, Ozymandias is in the specimen papers, so it won't come up in the actual thing.
That's not all the themes they could ask you about :tongue:
Identity is a very key one, and there's also other aspects they could ask you about if they're feeling mean.
Great post though, can tell you've put a lot of thought into it and generally it's very good :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Lemur14
That's not all the themes they could ask you about :tongue:
Identity is a very key one, and there's also other aspects they could ask you about if they're feeling mean.
Great post though, can tell you've put a lot of thought into it and generally it's very good :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

OK, thanks!
Also, because Bayonet Charge was the poem for last year, it won't come up in the real paper:h:
Reply 10
Original post by james.robson
Also, because Bayonet Charge was the poem for last year, it won't come up in the real paper:h:

The only annoying thing, personally, is that BC is my best poem. Oh well!
i presume you'd put the emigree with bc?
Reply 12
this is amazing. defo will be using this as my class is very far behind with poetry!
Reply 13
Original post by oven2
this is amazing. defo will be using this as my class is very far behind with poetry!

Awesome! I'm glad it was useful! :biggrin:
(edited 5 years ago)
what will you learn instead of bayonet charge?
What about Tissue??
What if we were to talk about power of nature?
What does individual experiences mean
Reply 18
Original post by Mehru1214
Ah. Thanks!

But the thing is, Ozymandias is in the specimen papers, so it won't come up in the actual thing.

LOL
Reply 19
Original post by Sinnoh
LOL

My bad, I actually kicked myself in the exam. Luckily I had London memorised, so yeahhh. My bad - I'll admit it.

Quick Reply

Latest