The Student Room Group

AQA A-Level Physics Paper 1: Discussion

Any questions of final queries for tomorrows exam?
Original post by Unknownnnn
Any questions of final queries for tomorrows exam?

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/sample-papers-and-mark-schemes/2017/june/AQA-74081-QP-JUN17.PDF

do you mind explaining 3.3
are there any derivations we need to know
Reply 3
Ok, so the first thing to consider is that the higher the refractive index of a material, the more light will refract (bend) in it.

Due to that reason, you can think of this question as two separate sections almost. What happens to red light - it's going to be refracted as it's critical angle is going to be higher, due to the lower refractive index

And blue light is going to be Totally Internally Reflected as its critical angle is lower than that of green light and therefore is critical and is going to be smaller.

Reply 4
Original post by shobiiii

I'm not fully sure im taking the exam myself tmrw
Reply 5
Original post by shobiiii

Thing is with derivations, by equating to equations (that equal the same thing) you can work out any derivation really.
Ok, so the first thing to consider is that the higher the refractive index of a material, the more light will refract (bend) in it.

Due to that reason, you can think of this question as two separate sections almost. What happens to red light - it's going to be refracted as it's critical angle is going to be higher, due to the lower refractive index

And blue light is going to be Totally Internally Reflected as its critical angle is lower than that of green light and therefore is critical and is going to be smaller.

i thought refractive index is the speed of light in a substance so why would it be different for blue and red light
Reply 7
Original post by man111111
i thought refractive index is the speed of light in a substance so why would it be different for blue and red light

Probably due to the speed of light in the substance of each wavelength of light being different. That's why when you pass white light through a prism a rainbow appears. And in-fact exactly why rainbows exist.
Probably due to the speed of light in the substance of each wavelength of light being different. That's why when you pass white light through a prism a rainbow appears. And in-fact exactly why rainbows exist.

so is it safe for me to say that the longer the wavelength of a light the faster it will travel in the material and will refract less than a shorter wavelength

by the way i really appreciate your help
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest