The Student Room Group

Btec

Is Btec Applied science a bad choice?
Depends what you want to do post 18
Original post by xEmilyxx
Depends what you want to do post 18

I want to go to university
It isn’t necessarily bad but only do it if you want to do a science course at uni and universities usually want DDD to D*D*D* depending on the university
Original post by scott.foster33
It isn’t necessarily bad but only do it if you want to do a science course at uni and universities usually want DDD to D*D*D* depending on the university

Thanks! That’s what I plan on doing.
Original post by Cherrycheryl
I want to go to university

For most universities BTEC Applied Science is fine for everything except Medicine and Dentistry and universities like Oxbridge, LSE etc. That being said, there's still a fair few Russell Group universities that accept Applied Science. By picking Applied Science you however are limiting yourself to subject related degrees only.
For most universities BTEC Applied Science is fine for everything except Medicine and Dentistry and universities like Oxbridge, LSE etc. That being said, there's still a fair few Russell Group universities that accept Applied Science. By picking Applied Science you however are limiting yourself to subject related degrees only.

But is it less desired that alevels? When u apply for jobs?
Is Btec Applied science a bad choice?

its a btec and whether people like this or not, it's not a respected or useful post 16 subject choice especially if you want to apply to RG universities. you said you want to do a science course and so you'll be better off studying a level subjects such as bio, chem or physics as they will prepare you a lot more for degree level science.
Original post by ughhhhhfam
its a btec and whether people like this or not, it's not a respected or useful post 16 subject choice especially if you want to apply to RG universities. you said you want to do a science course and so you'll be better off studying a level subjects such as bio, chem or physics as they will prepare you a lot more for degree level science.

What if I don’t get the required grades for alevels?
What did you get for your GCSE's, or are you currently doing them
Original post by notyourfriend1
What did you get for your GCSE's, or are you currently doing them

I’m still doing them.
I’m still doing them.

Well if you get B's for your GCSE sciences you can do a level on those subjects...

Also btecs arnt that great...
(edited 5 years ago)
But is it less desired that alevels? When u apply for jobs?

What's important when applying for jobs is whether you have the skills to make you a good worker. Not necessarily qualifications.
Original post by ughhhhhfam

Wrong. If the university lists them as a qualification they will accept than they won't look down on you compared to an A Level student if your personal statement and reference is strong. The degrees where the lecturers believe BTECs will struggle alongside A Level counterparts do not accept BTECs.

If you want to do a BTEC because you don't like exams and you feel you can succeed better at them ignore anyone who tells you otherwise. Most people here are anti BTEC completely and will knock you down for considering doing one. Look at uni entry requirements for a uni you might be interested in for a course you might be interested in and chances are unless it's one I've specified they will say they will accept a relevant BTEC.
BTECS have their advantages and disadvantages. Their advantage is that the work is mostly essay based and is probably more in line with what is done at uni however, they weren't provide you with the same amount of knowledge that a-levels will. So essay technique is likely to be covered at uni.
Wrong. If the university lists them as a qualification they will accept than they won't look down on you compared to an A Level student if your personal statement and reference is strong. The degrees where the lecturers believe BTECs will struggle alongside A Level counterparts do not accept BTECs.

If you want to do a BTEC because you don't like exams and you feel you can succeed better at them ignore anyone who tells you otherwise. Most people here are anti BTEC completely and will knock you down for considering doing one. Look at uni entry requirements for a uni you might be interested in for a course you might be interested in and chances are unless it's one I've specified they will say they will accept a relevant BTEC.

Thank you so much
Original post by NobleWizard
BTECS have their advantages and disadvantages. Their advantage is that the work is mostly essay based and is probably more in line with what is done at uni however, they weren't provide you with the same amount of knowledge that a-levels will. So essay technique is likely to be covered at uni.

Oh I never knew that! Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest