The Student Room Group

My AQA GCSE French speaking was shocking! How can I revise for German speaking?

Basically, I was hoping for a 9 in my French GCSE. I am incredibly lazy and find it really difficult to focus for 5 mins so I basically didn't prepare until the night before. In the exam, I obviously prepared for the photocard and roleplay but the invigilator took the roleplay and photocard and forgot to give me them for in the actual exam. I think I did okay on these sections, but I am sure I could have expanded my answers soooo much more if I could actually see the card in front of me. Also, I got really stressed in the General Conversation section. I managed to get a couple of subjunctives in but I forgot to include a future and the question I asked made no sense :frown: I literally also said "J'aime bien aller a la beach." because I panicked hahaha so I guess there is no way I can reach the 54+/60 I was aiming for. ANYWAY I have a German speaking next week and really want to be as well prepared as i can be. Any ideas?
Reply 1
what was on your photocard and roleplay for you french gcse ???
try to space out your revision and practice key vocab and structures that could be used in any theme.
rett
Original post by HaroldRobertBrad
Basically, I was hoping for a 9 in my French GCSE. I am incredibly lazy and find it really difficult to focus for 5 mins so I basically didn't prepare until the night before. In the exam, I obviously prepared for the photocard and roleplay but the invigilator took the roleplay and photocard and forgot to give me them for in the actual exam. I think I did okay on these sections, but I am sure I could have expanded my answers soooo much more if I could actually see the card in front of me. Also, I got really stressed in the General Conversation section. I managed to get a couple of subjunctives in but I forgot to include a future and the question I asked made no sense :frown: I literally also said "J'aime bien aller a la beach." because I panicked hahaha so I guess there is no way I can reach the 54+/60 I was aiming for. ANYWAY I have a German speaking next week and really want to be as well prepared as i can be. Any ideas?

pretty sure u did fab, hope u get the grade cause u derserve it so much, good luck for german and do u remember the photocard or the roleplay ? xx
how you can do 2 gcse languages makes my brain explode
Original post by nisha.sri
rett

pretty sure u did fab, hope u get the grade cause u derserve it so much, good luck for german and do u remember the photocard or the roleplay ? xx

Ahhh thanks so much I hope so!! I can’t remember the questions but it was someone buying weird things in a shop and something about cooking... probably won’t help as there are so many cards!!
Original post by Gent2324
how you can do 2 gcse languages makes my brain explode

My brain has literally been exploding these last two years thanks to my 2 languages 🙄😂
Original post by entertainmyfaith
try to space out your revision and practice key vocab and structures that could be used in any theme.

Okay thanks that is helpful!
Reply 8
So I know how you feel as I took French and Spanish at GCSE but I know that you will definitely have it harder as the new GCSEs are absolutely brutal, I took the new English and maths exams and that was enough! But having said that I did get A*s in both languages and in my French gcse as a whole I got 100% so I feel I can probably offer some help at least. The main thing that I learnt from my speaking exams was that it’s not so much what you say but how you say it. You need to make sure that you sound confident because that will instantly show the examiner that you know what you’re talking about even if the words you’re saying aren’t hugely impressive. Also make sure your pronunciation is good, that is the most impressive thing for the examiner. Most people taking languages quite honestly have very poor accents so if you master a good accent that’ll instantly boost your grade. Another thing I found was that it doesn’t hurt to throw some humour in there. I’m not saying you should turn into some German speaking version of Russel Howard or anything but tell a funny story or something. Like in my French when I was asked if my family eat in restaurant often I said yes and then told the examiner about the time we were in France and because my brother is so bad at French he ended up ordering a pot of ice instead of ice cream. I know that’s not really funny but my middle aged examiner seemed to find that hilarious.
Basically you just need to be confident and make sure if you’re nervous it doesn’t come across that way. Regarding preparation this is gonna sound weird but I listened to French and Spanish songs and tried to understand what they were saying. My thinking behind it was if I could understand what singing people were saying then they wouldn’t ask me anything I didn’t understand. This also helped with my listening exams too.
I hope this helped
Reply 9
If the invigilator took your photo card/role play surely your teacher would’ve noticed? They wouldn’t expect you to do it without notes.
Original post by hmdux
So I know how you feel as I took French and Spanish at GCSE but I know that you will definitely have it harder as the new GCSEs are absolutely brutal, I took the new English and maths exams and that was enough! But having said that I did get A*s in both languages and in my French gcse as a whole I got 100% so I feel I can probably offer some help at least. The main thing that I learnt from my speaking exams was that it’s not so much what you say but how you say it. You need to make sure that you sound confident because that will instantly show the examiner that you know what you’re talking about even if the words you’re saying aren’t hugely impressive. Also make sure your pronunciation is good, that is the most impressive thing for the examiner. Most people taking languages quite honestly have very poor accents so if you master a good accent that’ll instantly boost your grade. Another thing I found was that it doesn’t hurt to throw some humour in there. I’m not saying you should turn into some German speaking version of Russel Howard or anything but tell a funny story or something. Like in my French when I was asked if my family eat in restaurant often I said yes and then told the examiner about the time we were in France and because my brother is so bad at French he ended up ordering a pot of ice instead of ice cream. I know that’s not really funny but my middle aged examiner seemed to find that hilarious.
Basically you just need to be confident and make sure if you’re nervous it doesn’t come across that way. Regarding preparation this is gonna sound weird but I listened to French and Spanish songs and tried to understand what they were saying. My thinking behind it was if I could understand what singing people were saying then they wouldn’t ask me anything I didn’t understand. This also helped with my listening exams too.
I hope this helped

Thank you so much this was so helpful and funny! I’m told I have a pretty good french accent, but the metered kind of ruined it( but maybe the nerves made my trembling voice sound more French?)😂 I made a playlist on Spotify so I think that is helping! I really wanted an A* in both but I think I’ve left the preparation a bit last minute- only prepared for French the night before and my German is on Thursday.. Wish me luck ahaha
Original post by Lucy-16
If the invigilator took your photo card/role play surely your teacher would’ve noticed? They wouldn’t expect you to do it without notes.

I had the notes I’d made and the teacher was like oh do you think we will need them and I wasn’t sure so we just got on wth it... Like it wasn’t the end of the world I just think I would have been able to see more if I could make it up on the spot.
I'm year 9 and i have started doing GCSE German and today i got my results and i only got 55%! I am quite upset about this as other in my class were getting 70/80/90% I thought I would've done well! And it was the foundation paper! Anyone know how i can get above a C in the actual GCSE exam?
Reply 13
why on earth would you choose to do 2 languages
Original post by bvfh
why on earth would you choose to do 2 languages

Because languages are amazing and everyone wants people who can speak languages, so you can earn more money 💰 😉
Original post by AmeliaElizabethA
I'm year 9 and i have started doing GCSE German and today i got my results and i only got 55%! I am quite upset about this as other in my class were getting 70/80/90% I thought I would've done well! And it was the foundation paper! Anyone know how i can get above a C in the actual GCSE exam?

Okay I haven’t finished my GCSE yet but I am fairly confident I will get above a C, because I have in all of my practice exams! The only way you can get above a C is by doing the higher paper -choose to do that instead of the foundation for the real exam! The secret to doing well in the exams is basically vocab and learning good constructions. A good way to do this is by using websites like this is language.com and
by doing exercises. Also watch films in the language and listen to the music! This is fun and also makes you sound more fluent and your listening gets better even if you can’t tell. If you can do a decent piece of writing and get the past, present and future into it, you will be fine! Remember that in year 9 it isn’t the end of the world - there is still a long time left!
If you wanted a 9, why would you only revise the night before? As for the speaking, i spoke in English by accident. The teacher asked if i would like to go to university in the future and i said "yeah" instead of "oui". But i think small errors such as that will not lose you too many marks as my teacher said
Original post by Nihilisticb*tch
If you wanted a 9, why would you only revise the night before? As for the speaking, i spoke in English by accident. The teacher asked if i would like to go to university in the future and i said "yeah" instead of "oui". But i think small errors such as that will not lose you too many marks as my teacher said
because I am an idiot with time management issues!! 🙃 oh that’s a big deal I’m sure that was fine. To be honest, I don’t think mine went as badly as I had thought it did immediately afterwards!
Original post by username2253183
because I am an idiot with time management issues!! 🙃 oh that’s a big deal I’m sure that was fine. To be honest, I don’t think mine went as badly as I had thought it did immediately afterwards!

Maybe not. Just dont worry about it as theres no point since you cant change it.
haha, I'm so late to this, but I also take two languages and just did my french speaking today. I was hoping for a 9 too and I really don't think I got it, I'm curious as to what you ended up getting?

Quick Reply

Latest