The Student Room Group

Ocr biology depth unofficial mark scheme 2018

Hey this is the OCR BIOLOGY DEPTH mark scheme. From what im seeing everyone on twitter and in school said the timing of the paper was bad and it was hard.

Okay.

Question about non-competitive inhibitor?
- It binds to the allosteric site, the bonds of the tertiary structure change changing the active site therefore substrate is no longer complementary to the active site, therefore the enzyme is no longer functional.
Tachychardia was the grapth.
Cardiac Output was 5.44 TIMES 10 the power of 3
simpsons index of diversity was 0.73. (Final Answer is only 1 mark so dont worry).
Errors with DNA Purification was that she forgot to add the ethanol and grind the sample. Then describe what the protease or the detergent does.
Last Question was that species eveness was low because of the large jump.

Cardiac Cycle. Atrial Systole, atria wall contract, decreasing volume increasing pressure forcing blood into the Ventricles through the atrioventricular valves which open and is held by tendinous cords. Ventricular Systole, the walls of the ventricles contract decreasing volume increasing pressure, atrioventricular valves close to prevent backflow of blood into the atria, the increased pressure forces the semi-lunar valves to open forcing blood through the aorta and the pulmonary artery at a high pressure. Once all blood has been forced the ventrcles relax and the semi-lunar valves close. Then the atria and ventricles relax blood flows in ventrciles and atria.

Question about the electrical excitation of the heart?
SAN sends a wave of electrical excitation towards the AVN. AVN creates Delay. AVN sends wave of electrical excitation towards the bundle of his to the apex causing the ventricles to contract. Hence the QRS complex represents Ventricular Systole.
First Question:
Amine Group and carboxyl Group.
What bond does it represent and what reaction? It was a peptide bond in a condensation reaction.
Globular Fibrous Proteins- 3 marks if you say globular proteins are soluble and fibrous proteins are insoluble because the hydrophilic R group was on the outside of the globular protein making it soluble. Globular Proteins have metabolic roles such as pepsin which breaks down proteins. Fibrous Proteins have structural roles. 3 marks- Giving examples of fibrous and globular.

Design Experiment for Enzymes Question.
Get three test tubes. Place each sample into test tube. Use equal volume and concentration of the thing i cant remember. Place a tube which is inverted into a water bath which has no air bubbles. Add a tube inside place it in the test tubes and close with a bung. When ready add the thingy and close the bung and measure the water loss.

Three things to improve the experiment
- Wear gloves because her hand could have been contaminated with amino acids.
- Place a glass plate on top of the beaker in order to prevent air born particles from contaminating the chromatography paper and affecting the results.
- Draw a tiny dot on the middle of the line in order to know where to place the sample.

One aim of the cites- Prevents international trade of endangered species or Prevents international trade for commercial reasons.
Elephants population deaths inceased in central and west and include figures. Eastern Africa slighly increased but no as much as central and west and it was recent.

I remember one question where you did 10million-500 thousand divided by 10 million and you get 95 percent.

This is at least 45 marks of the paper.

Vote on this stawpool so we can estimate grade boundaries.
https://www.strawpoll.me/15830987/

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
iF YOU HAVE ANY MORE ANSWERS PLEASE RESPOND.
Nice to know I flopped on so many questions
I think the asnwer for the "I remember one question where you did 10million-500 thousand divided by 10 million and you get 95 percent." wanted a value and not a percentage, me and my friends got 1250
Why is transcription needed to make a protein
for the first question i put amino group instead of amine 😭 do u think they'll accept it
Reply 6
Isn't it because DNA is too big to leave the nucleus to get to the ribosome, so transcription is needed to transcribe them into smaller messenger RNA molecules to leave the nucleus, idk that's what I put..
I don’t remember any question where we had to design an experiment for enzymes.
Did I miss a question out accidentally holy ****.
Reply 8
Original post by ShoaibK01
I don’t remember any question where we had to design an experiment for enzymes.
Did I miss a question out accidentally holy ****.

No I think that's referring to the dead fish question where we had to compare it to copper sulfate or something?!?
Original post by 12KK
No I think that's referring to the dead fish question where we had to compare it to copper sulfate or something?!?

Oh for that I fully bs’d and wrote to put the dead fish tissue into the river and see how long it takes for the tissue to disappear and the quickest is the most polluted area. I forgot what the question asked haha
Original post by 12KK
Isn't it because DNA is too big to leave the nucleus to get to the ribosome, so transcription is needed to transcribe them into smaller messenger RNA molecules to leave the nucleus, idk that's what I put..

That’s what I put , but then I thought I had confused transcription and translation :/ so I’m not sure
Original post by lionike123
Hey this is the OCR BIOLOGY DEPTH mark scheme. From what im seeing everyone on twitter and in school said the timing of the paper was bad and it was hard.

Okay.

- It binds to the allosteric site, the bonds of the tertiary structure change changing the active site therefore substrate is no longer complementary to the active site, therefore the enzyme is no longer functional.
simpsons index of diversity was 0.73. (Final Answer is only 1 mark so dont worry).
Errors with DNA Purification was that she forgot to add the ethanol and grind the sample. Then describe what the protease or the detergent does.

Cardiac Cycle. Atrial Systole, atria wall contract, decreasing volume increasing pressure forcing blood into the Ventricles through the atrioventricular valves which open and is held by tendinous cords. Ventricular Systole, the walls of the ventricles contract decreasing volume increasing pressure, atrioventricular valves close to prevent backflow of blood into the atria, the increased pressure forces the semi-lunar valves to open forcing blood through the aorta and the pulmonary artery at a high pressure. Once all blood has been forced the ventrcles relax and the semi-lunar valves close. Then the atria and ventricles relax blood flows in ventrciles and atria.

SAN sends a wave of electrical excitation towards the AVN. AVN creates Delay. AVN sends wave of electrical excitation towards the bundle of his to the apex causing the ventricles to contract. Hence the QRS complex represents Ventricular Systole.
First Question:
What bond does it represent and what reaction? It was a peptide bond in a condensation reaction.
Globular Fibrous Proteins- 3 marks if you say globular proteins are soluble and fibrous proteins are insoluble because the hydrophilic R group was on the outside of the globular protein making it soluble. Globular Proteins have metabolic roles such as pepsin which breaks down proteins. Fibrous Proteins have structural roles. 3 marks- Giving examples of fibrous and globular.

Get three test tubes. Place each sample into test tube. Use equal volume and concentration of the thing i cant remember. Place a tube which is inverted into a water bath which has no air bubbles. Add a tube inside place it in the test tubes and close with a bung. When ready add the thingy and close the bung and measure the water loss.

- Place a glass plate on top of the beaker in order to prevent air born particles from contaminating the chromatography paper and affecting the results.
- Draw a tiny dot on the middle of the line in order to know where to place the sample.

One aim of the cites- Prevents international trade of endangered species or Prevents international trade for commercial reasons.
Elephants population deaths inceased in central and west and include figures. Eastern Africa slighly increased but no as much as central and west and it was recent.

I remember one question where you did 10million-500 thousand divided by 10 million and you get 95 percent.

For the CITES question , I kind of rushed and didn’t read it properly and as an aim I just put

“Illegal to trade in endangered species”

Does that really make sense?? I should’ve perhaps put “to make it illegal...”
Original post by vareesha123
For the CITES question , I kind of rushed and didn’t read it properly and as an aim I just put

“Illegal to trade in endangered species”

Does that really make sense?? I should’ve perhaps put “to make it illegal...”

Thats still right. Either way this test was okay for me but lots of people are saying it is hard so maybe the grade boundaries will drop by 2-3marks which is most likely going to happen.
Thats still right. Either way this test was okay for me but lots of people are saying it is hard so maybe the grade boundaries will drop by 2-3marks which is most likely going to happen.

lower grade boundaries would be a blessing :smile:
There was a question on which ions were used.
Pretty sure I got that wrong lol
Original post by James3184
Why is transcription needed to make a protein

Because DNA molecules are too large to move out of the nucleus through the nuclear pore to get to the ribosome which is the site of protein synthesis. Transcription produces RNA which is able to move out

why do you think it's likely the grade boundaries will drop? have they dropped in response to people finding it hard in the past?

Okay.

First Question:

is this the biology A (As level ) ?
Original post by layal1226
is this the biology a (as level ) ?

ocr biology a as exam

Okay.

First Question:

Hey are you going to do a breadth one?

Quick Reply