The Student Room Group

Psychology June 2018 Exam - That Damn Graph

I did a scatter graph... was that right? That question was ****ing bonkers, I chose A Level Psychology not Maths !!!
I think so...
actually that question wasn't that bad compared to maths questions in A-level Biology which make me question whether the course has had an identity crisis or something
Original post by romia017
I did a scatter graph... was that right? That question was ****ing bonkers, I chose A Level Psychology not Maths !!!

I did a scattergraph, that was an easy research methods section... apart from the coefficient bit, no idea there
Reply 3
I believe the correct coefficient answer was +0.95 as there was a near perfect positive linear relationship between the two variables.
I believe we should have done a scatter graph with a strong correlation.
If the result is unanimous I guess it is ought to be a scatter graph.
scatter graph

Original post by dexzino
I believe the correct coefficient answer was +0.95 as there was a near perfect positive linear relationship between the two variables.

i'm pretty sure the answer was 0.70 - for it to be 0.95 it would literally need to be an almost perfect correlation and it wasn't (i may be wrong though) - i was debating between both of these in the exam
Reply 7
Original post by bethanyyyyy
scatter graph

i'm pretty sure the answer was 0.70 - for it to be 0.95 it would literally need to be an almost perfect correlation and it wasn't (i may be wrong though) - i was debating between both of these in the exam

Hmm, after my line of best fit I found it was near perfect, so maybe the examiners will see that and credit me.
Original post by dexzino
Hmm, after my line of best fit I found it was near perfect, so maybe the examiners will see that and credit me.

Loool, I put +0.30 because my scatter showed basically showed like no correlation whatsoever so I thought it has to be as close to 0 as possible...
Reply 9
Original post by atlantida
Loool, I put +0.30 because my scatter showed basically showed like no correlation whatsoever so I thought it has to be as close to 0 as possible...

Same here, it only just looked like it was a positive correlation on mine but I guess it'll have differed depending on how spaced out people made their scatter graphs
It's 0.70
Original post by miaboo
Same here, it only just looked like it was a positive correlation on mine but I guess it'll have differed depending on how spaced out people made their scatter graphs

But tbh even if kinda positive but not perfect positive then how are you really supposed to determine? Like all I really know is -1, 0 and +1.
Reply 12
Both my X and Y axis went up to 50 because this was the highest score on the depression scale. Because of this, my points were very much towards the bottom of the graph which is why I thought the correlation coefficient was 0.30. Idk if I'm right!
Reply 13
The closer to 1/-1 the co-efficient is, the stronger the correlation is meant to be. So if it was really close to what you'd imagine is the centre line but not a perfect correlation then it'd be +/-0.9 etc.
The correlation coefficient was 0.7.
For the correlation coefficient to be 0.95, the points on the graph would have to line up almost perfectly.
If the coefficient was 0.3 then there would be no clear trend at all (there was a trend shown by the graph)
Reply 15
Original post by Will_SKRT
The correlation coefficient was 0.7.
For the correlation coefficient to be 0.95, the points on the graph would have to line up almost perfectly.
If the coefficient was 0.3 then there would be no clear trend at all (there was a trend shown by the graph)

You’re wrong, it’s not about the points lining up perfectly, it’s about the line of best fit (which shows the correlation (coefficient)). There was an extremely high positive correlation so its not unlikely the answer is 0.95.
Original post by bethanyyyyy
scatter graph

Yeah it wasn’t strong enough to be 0.95 I think it was 0.70 too
Original post by dexzino
You’re wrong, it’s not about the points lining up perfectly, it’s about the line of best fit (which shows the correlation (coefficient)). There was an extremely high positive correlation so its not unlikely the answer is 0.95.

correlation coefficent.gif
The points did not line up well enough to be 0.95.
(edited 5 years ago)
I did a stupid ass bar chart 😂🙏 because it was companies the scores of 2 tests, KMN. It took me ages to do that graph.

Even though I know it was a correlation and ordinal level data because it used a Spearman’s Rho test. (For the statistical tests question)
(edited 5 years ago)
an i decided to do dot to dot and join the points up....

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending